• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to ownership - need advice

steve whiteside

DJI00002.jpg

Thanks yes we are happy with that land. It is remote but it buys us the ability to do what we want without much neighbors/authorities/concerned citizens- peering in.

steve whiteside

I was actually leaning towards the skip loader. The ones on this forum seem overwhelming towards bobcat. Give me a bit to look at your links.

TomA

I am a Cat guy, I don't like wheel tractors in steep terrain. I would like to get into road grading. I am thinking along the lines of a skid steer with a 4 in 1 blade like in your Cat video. I think one of these attachments would make one into a decent grader.
https://www.quickattach.com/bladegraderleveler
It looks like the blade and attachment are about 5-6 grand if the machine has the hydraulics to handle it.

It looks like your grader guy did not do a very good job. I am sure you could do better than that with one of these.

Plongson

Whew! Looking at your impending project causes me to reminisce...We started as well with a blank slate, on an untouched piece of ground. It has been an amazing, exciting, extremely laborious and expensive adventure that has taken years to complete. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything but I cringe at the thought of doing it over again!

You're gonna have a great time! All the luck to you! Building your own personal sanctuary is like nothing else you can do...

20151011_081826.jpg

hammertime

Whoa ! tight, turny, steep road that changes things.... Yes i would not use wheel loader either that would be a wreck when muddy. I have slid enough on mine i cannot tell you how helpless that feels. Great pic Love the watercloset! I knew someone who lived on the side of mount helix over there...great views!

steve whiteside

The road does get snotty when wet although realize that I don't drive the road when it is that way. It tears up the road way too much. I live on a separate property about 15 minutes away. At this point this property is a work in progress- but recreational.

steve whiteside

Whoa ! tight, turny, steep road that changes things.... Yes i would not use wheel loader either that would be a wreck when muddy. I have slid enough on mine i cannot tell you how helpless that feels. Great pic Love the watercloset! I knew someone who lived on the side of mount helix over there...great views!

Yes Mt helix is about 10 miles away.

steve whiteside

Whew! Looking at your impending project causes me to reminisce...We started as well with a blank slate, on an untouched piece of ground. It has been an amazing, exciting, extremely laborious and expensive adventure that has taken years to complete. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything but I cringe at the thought of doing it over again!

You're gonna have a great time! All the luck to you! Building your own personal sanctuary is like nothing else you can do...

View attachment 169695

Thanks!

steve whiteside

Unless we own a big construction company, we're not gonna have every machine in the tool box to fit every job...kind'a like having to use a claw hammer for tapping out a paper gasket...LOL

Here's my situation, I can only have one machine...I have a 2004 JD 210LE and it has turned out to be absolutely amazing for our duties which is primarily road maintenance but it's also pressed into service almost daily for anything you can imagine. I also have about a mile of dirt to maintain here in So. Utah (also off grid as it appears you are).

I bought from the Ritchie auction (for $12,000) a beautiful machine that needed an engine. Cutting no corners and $10k later I have a machine that at the turn of a key is ready to work. That approch is not for everyone, but Richie also has some amazing stuff (if you look closely!!) for great prices, just don't get caught up in the auction fever. Just log on and do a search, you can also bid by proxy for a set amount. That is what I did and had it delivered. Today for instance in Sacramento there are four 210LE's, some looking VERY interesting.

The box Gannon on mine has turned out to amazing. It's certainly not a motor grader but with the box down in the float position it doesn't follow the tractor and will cut out washboards. Use the rippers along with the float and the washboards don't come back as fast.

Mine has one tilt cylinder and has FULL tilt only one way, but some have the option of two tilt cylinders allowing for full tilt (think cutting a ditch down and then back up...just makes the job faster). Also get a 4-in-1 bucket in front!

Anyway...my suggestion is on a 210LE...but opinions are like...well, you know. LOL

View attachment 169681 View attachment 169684 View attachment 169685

I see model numbers LE and LJ... What is the difference and how do you know if you are getting the twin cylinder or 4WD?

Plongson

I've never been able to figure out JD numbering scheme but an LJ is newer than an LE, somewhere around 2010 I think. All 210's seem to be about the same size (about +/- 15000 lb rolling weight)...larger the number the bigger the unit. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If you get serious about a JD you'll probably get the fastest answer from a dealer parts counter. Mine is EXTREMELY helpful.

On another note, mine is non-turbo and I've never felt the need for one and I'm at 6000'. Get a 4 in 1 bucket for sure (+10!!), the twin tilt cylinders on the back are just icing on the cake and not necessary, just convenient. I'd also never settle for 2wd and think about getting a unit with a PTO. It will expand your possibilities for rear 3-pt attachments.

I love the E-brake on a Deere. It's a switch that electrically/hydraulically releases the brakes. A shrill beeper goes off if put in gear and it won't move until it's satisfied. You cannot drive off with the E-brake engauged
unlike other units that have a lever...something I just like.

steve whiteside

If I got something like the JD 210 at 15,000 pounds and it needed service or needed to be moved...how would that be done? I own a 2012 F350 with the standard hitch (bigger than 2" receiver) do places rent big trailers or am I going to be forced to call an 18 wheeler sort of transport?

Plongson

Obviously bigger is better when it comes to moving these things but mine was delivered from Sacramento to So. Utah with a F-350 and single wheel/double axel goose neck. The boy had a load! but he got it here...

As for Unicorns and 210LE PTO's...
20170521_065017.jpg 20170521_064910.jpg

hammertime

[\Quote]As for Unicorns and 210LE PTO's.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...and your manual states "if equipped". Like I implied good luck

If I wanted a wheel loader with impliments and pto I would just go AG tractor.

Last edited:

Plongson

This thread was started by Mr. Whiteside questioning HIS purchase of a tractor for his property. PTO's could be had on 210LE's...hand's down, period...as I have proven, and a myriad of attachments are available as well. Now, whether you like them or not, carries no value here.

My interpretation is you don't like being called out for being wrong...

Just my internet observation of your internet attitude.

Paul

Plongson

You're taking you're loss seriously! LOL Take a pill and get some rest, hopefully you'll feel better in the morning...

Give it up...I'm moving on.