• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New skid steer break in?

AR.223

I got a new skid steer over the weekend, 2012 Bobcat S185 with 3.7 hours. I looked through the manual many times and never seen anything about breakin. Just the 50hr service. It did say for peak hp run at WOT. Are these made to run at WOT right out the box? I understand that they are governed down. But I just like to make sure I wont hurt nothing. I ran it around 2000-2300 mosly varying my throttle. I did however bump it up to WOT just to see what the rpms were. 2670. Our Kubota tractor said no full power before 50hrs. but then again it can wind up alot more than 2600.
The only thing I find on the internet is it's important to run diesel on the high side to avoid carbon build up and to help seat rings.

lumberjack

Just run it, IMO.

Think about all the used vehicles and equipment sold today.... how the machine was broke in is hardly a concern, regular service is much more important.

Delmer

It can't hurt to vary the speed and load on the engine. Definitely don't lug it, but don't baby it either. You need to load it up regularly to seat the rings, at least that's what I've always heard...

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
im sure there is a proper break in but after seeing many fleet owned equipment last for long hours when the operators full throttle for 8hrs a day with no mercy from the day its delivered i cant help but feel that although i always try and do a proper break in the machine has some margin of error to compensate for the ones who dont try

AR.223

Thanks guys, I never really had anything new I just want to make sure I treat it right and didn't hurt anything from running high this soon

Lindsey97

my advice would be to let it warm up at a high idle before operating or moving. when operating an attachment or digging under full load, before shutting off enigine, let the machine run at an idle or just above for 10 minutes to cool down.

doing this lets the turbo cool slow down and cool off, and it lets the oil cool the pistons and cylinder bores, allowing the engine to last longer. i do this for all of machines from my dump truck to the d4c dozer to my case 70xt skid steer.

if you will walk around to this back of the machine where the hot air is discharged from it, you will be amazed at the difference in temperature drop if you let it idle and cool down for 10 minutes before shutting it off.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
By the way AR- Congrats! A new machine. I've never had one new, just someonme else's castoff. Enjoy!

AR.223

By the way AR- Congrats! A new machine. I've never had one new, just someonme else's castoff. Enjoy!

Thanks, We have a 4 barn poultry farm, around 44,000 chickens. We do our own clean out between flocks. We decided to trade in the old but good to us case 1840 for the bobcat s185 w/cab.

So I wont hurt it in any way to run it a full throttle when the job requires this early in the hours? I just like to be sure

Delmer

I wouldn't run it at high speed continuously during the break in period. Varying from 3/4 up to full speed is fine, and you're not likely to lug a skidsteer engine.

Just my opinion, based on second hand only, zero real world experience.

durallymax

When breaking in other engines around here its often reccommended to not run them full speed but put a load on them, however do not load them too much, but also do not just let them idle or free rev all day. Basically that is a normal day in a skid steer engines life, so do not worry about it.

snocrete

Occupation
concrete, light excavating, snow & ice management
I got a new skid steer over the weekend, 2012 Bobcat S185 with 3.7 hours.

Are these made to run at WOT right out the box?.

Congrats on your new purchase! I've owned & operated a few S185's over the yrs...There's a reason that machine is one of the best selling skids they've made! Great machine for the size!

And to your question - Yes.

tamara sue

Hello trying to post .not good at it.I own a d20a dozer need to find out to quiet the tracks down keeps increasing in noise. Any ideas please

ValleyFirewood

No need to let it idle that long, 30 secs-1 min is fine in almost all conditions.

my advice would be to let it warm up at a high idle before operating or moving. when operating an attachment or digging under full load, before shutting off enigine, let the machine run at an idle or just above for 10 minutes to cool down.

doing this lets the turbo cool slow down and cool off, and it lets the oil cool the pistons and cylinder bores, allowing the engine to last longer. i do this for all of machines from my dump truck to the d4c dozer to my case 70xt skid steer.

if you will walk around to this back of the machine where the hot air is discharged from it, you will be amazed at the difference in temperature drop if you let it idle and cool down for 10 minutes before shutting it off.

AR.223

Congrats on your new purchase! I've owned & operated a few S185's over the yrs...There's a reason that machine is one of the best selling skids they've made! Great machine for the size!

And to your question - Yes.

Thanks. too bad they are dropping them in favor for the M-series. Glad I snatched this one up. I'm restricted on height and the dealer said the M-series are taller.

snocrete

Occupation
concrete, light excavating, snow & ice management
Thanks. too bad they are dropping them in favor for the M-series. Glad I snatched this one up. I'm restricted on height and the dealer said the M-series are taller.

Only 1.5in difference...but for some, that may be enough.

We just got a new S590...only have about 10hrs on it so far, but it seems very capable for a medium frame sized machine.