• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New invention to roll off/hook lift containers, your judgement please

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
You've stated several times that it is difficult to move loaded container with a machine, yet in your video all the containers being handled are empty. I'm skeptical of how this system would work with a heavy container. I've been able to move containers with my skid steer that are full of demolition debris, but I doubt I could move one full of aggregate.

By the way, the text scrolling across the page of your video is very distracting and actually obstructs me from seeing some of the details of your system. It would be much better to have the message stationary at the bottom of the screen.

Clue

You've stated several times that it is difficult to move loaded container with a machine, yet in your video all the containers being handled are empty. I'm skeptical of how this system would work with a heavy container. I've been able to move containers with my skid steer that are full of demolition debris, but I doubt I could move one full of aggregate.

By the way, the text scrolling across the page of your video is very distracting and actually obstructs me from seeing some of the details of your system. It would be much better to have the message stationary at the bottom of the screen.

My videos just show the principle of what we are working on. When we did all the strenght tests we had this flatbed loaded with 25 tons of steel plates. It was almost destroyed from the heavy load, it bended down on the midle and we had a lot of work with straighten it back to normal shape :) . We never had problems to move it around. I will do another video of it when loaded, maybe a 14 ton excavator will do. The flatbed itself is 3 tons due to a lot of reinforcements we did to it. This would be about 17 tons gross weight and this is about the max we are alowed to carry on a 4 axle truck here in Norway.

I'm sorry for the text problem. The text is on the introvideo only, longer videos can be found in the video section without text.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
How are you going to keep the batteries charged up?

Clue

How are you going to keep the batteries charged up?

The batteries will need recharges from the wall outlet. A 30 minutes operation time between charges is sufficient i think. The container will only be moved on short distances via battery power. For longer moves you use the hook lift truck or a sufficient vehicle that can haul it by the drawbar.

There is also a version with a 22 kw powerplant on the drawing board. Hope to have a video of it ready in a few weeks.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Are you going to charge them at 100 amps to get that short of charging period?

Mother Deuce

New design, more features. What do you think?

Is your design meant only to handle empty cans or job office conversions? For a proprietary company using cans as job site storage many times we move the can with the crew that has their tools in them. With the front power/steering unit in the front and being in the center, I see a problem with stability with a preloaded can and trying to position it where the steering/unit is turned 90 degrees or most likely less. As mentioned in a 2015 post we rarely have a pristine site to stage from so we would achieve this move by placing the can on a step deck at the extreme rear of the trailer about 40 inches high. When we get the truck to the job we will pull the can off the trailer till about 3 feet is still on the trailer set the nose down on the ground rig the back with chokers and pick it up and drive the truck ahead and set the can down. After that we use the loader and a choker to position it wherever it is going to go on the job (usually within 50 feet or so from where we unloaded it.
Your design seems sound and probably is for the techniques, conditions and terrain you encounter. This forum with it's global scope daily presents people, sometimes working to the same goal using 4 different methods and machines to arrive at the same result depending on their conditions. It is like the hydraulic motor driven chain roll off truck that is common to my experience in the Northwest and is shown in Intraxco's post #14. I find myself in New England and these trucks here that perform the same task, the operator has to pull off the line, hook up to the can and pull it on and then because the cans here don't hook into stirrups like the chain driven arrangement, the driver secures the can to the frame with a strap. The east coast guys will swear to you that you need that winch because of difficult conditions etc. The Northwest guy's are going to wonder why New England guys spend the extra money and have the driver on the ground when the Northwest guys just back into them, suck them on, tarp them and they are gone. The companies that run these trucks are pretty loyal to which ever arrangement they operate.
We are creatures of habit here and for years have bet our money on technique and machines that we know work and we were loath to change until maybe just the last 10 or 20 years. Technology like lasers, Caterpillar Caes, Trimble and Engcon to name just a few that have become increasingly more common.
Best of luck with your project!

crane operator

New design, more features. What do you think?

So the conex is in one place, setting on the ground. How do you get the jacking/ rolling lifting frame under it? Something else is going to have to pick it up, be it a crane or a excavator, forklift. If you have that to pick it up, your going to just dump it on a trailer or truck, no need for the rolling frame. The powered wheels are probably ok if you have a paved jobsite. It will be a disaster in mud.

If you don't have any way to lift the conex off the frame, how do you get your high priced wheel and lift system out from under it to go do another job. Ain't no way people are putting one of these under every conex they own.

I think you have a solution that isn't going to work.

If you're simply looking for a way to move a open top container around on wheels on a jobsite for debris and such, there's already a solution for that, a dump truck.

Welder Dave

I think it would need some serious motors to be battery powered and would require a forklift battery in order to have much operating time. Anything other than pavement or concrete I don't think it would move. Is safety a concern? If so in the video with the prototype why is the guy putting the pins in for the legs walking through the narrow space between the truck and bin mover and also walking under a suspended load??? That could shut a job done if the OH & S inspector happened to be on site.