• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New invention to roll off/hook lift containers, your judgement please

Clue

I am in the progress of developing a new invention to the roll off/hook lift containers. It's a device that will help you move these boxes around on a work site. The work site has to be on solid ground. Work that is carried out on paved or concrete ground would benefit from this solution.

I'm from Norway and we use these boxes all the time, but we have always problems when we need to move them locally on site due to their heavy weight.

Is there anybody in here that use this boxes when you are digging in city streets or industry areas? If so, please tell me your thoughts about this.

See : www.jack-pack.as for details.

lantraxco

Our rolloff containers usually have rollers on the back end, just lift the front and drag it where you want it.

Blue containers.jpgRed container.jpg

mitch504

It might be good for jobsites that only have small machines, but I usually have something that can just grab it and move it.

Clue

It might be good for jobsites that only have small machines, but I usually have something that can just grab it and move it.

Yes we also usually have something that can just grab it and move it, if it's not to heavy. The problem occurs when you have filled it halfway up f.ex.
It all depends on the size of your machines on the site as you say.

Sometimes the work areas in city streets stretches out several 100 yards in lenght, in such cases you could benefit from this if the box just hang on to Your machine and follow you as you move fore and aft on the work site.

Clue

We are finally finished with the deformation testing and reinforcements, the device has passed the factory acceptance test and is soon ready for CE-approval.

We have left to finish some Heavy Duty wheel lock's for the device, based on the same principal that was used on this fantastic Norwegian made digger:

See video of this digger machine here and take note of the wheel locks: http://www.jack-pack.as/status-of-development.html

joispoi

My first thought is that this would not work on any surface that is soft, irregular or bumpy. That would rule out every construction site that I've ever been on and some of the asphalt roads around here.:eek:

This looks like it would be best on clean concrete surfaces. It might have a place in warehouse or industrial applications, but any place that has a forklift can already move an empty container anywhere they want.

Your target market is going to include established businesses that use lots of containers, but do not have any type of machine to move them around.

Good luck and post some pictures when it's finished.

Clue

My first thought is that this would not work on any surface that is soft, irregular or bumpy. That would rule out every construction site that I've ever been on and some of the asphalt roads around here.:eek:

This looks like it would be best on clean concrete surfaces. It might have a place in warehouse or industrial applications, but any place that has a forklift can already move an empty container anywhere they want.

Your target market is going to include established businesses that use lots of containers, but do not have any type of machine to move them around.

Good luck and post some pictures when it's finished.

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct in that this will not work on soft, irregular or bumpy surfaces. It will however work on all the surfaces where we already move these containers with the solutions already on the market. Look here: http://www.jack-pack.as/why-.html .

Jack-Pack is only a new way of doing the same thing what we have done for years.

Jack-Pack will give some benefits like the fact that you don't need a heavy machine anymore to move them because you are not dependent on being able to lift heavy any more. That again opens some new niche markets for these containers where they havent been considered an option before, like where low ceiling height prevent access for heavy machinery and trucks.

See the one described on this page for example: http://www.jack-pack.as/ground-floor-parking-areas.html .

And there is a lot of other uses for it. So I am pretty sure that there is a market out there for Jack-Pack.

lantraxco

Whatever equipment you have handy, wheel loader, excavator, fork lift, etc. and a chain, cable choker, soft choker, etc. Or if you only need to move it a short distance a bulldozer can suffice, lol.

Clue

Whatever equipment you have handy, wheel loader, excavator, fork lift, etc. and a chain, cable choker, soft choker, etc. Or if you only need to move it a short distance a bulldozer can suffice, lol.

I see, no "fancy" equipment like we have for the hook lifts.
How is it with the hook lift system in the US, are they often to be seen around or is it cable hoist all over the industry?

joispoi

In the northeast, nearly all the containers that I've seen are cable hoist. It could be different in other areas.

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
Honestly i just push containers around or get some chain and drag them

Clue

Honestly i just push containers around or get some chain and drag them

The same we do here, but the problem is that in many cases they are too heavy to be moved with the equipment available on site.

Many excavation work that we do in city streets are small jobs that are done with smaller machines and typically a hook lift container where we dump the excess mass. In many cases, due to traffic related problems or because of various other reasons it simply gets in the way of the work that must be performed.

It does not take much load in it before we are unable to move it with the smaller equipment what we have on site. In some cases it can take a whole day to fill it up, other times longer than that too. The longer time it takes to fill it, the bigger the chance is that we need to move it at some point. It all depends on what surprises that shows up from the underground. Cables and pipes that we uncover can go in the strangest directions and forces us to move it. Having a movable truck standing and waiting to be filled is too expencive so we rather use a hook lift container instead.

It was because of such problems that the idea of this product occurred.

lantraxco

I see, no "fancy" equipment like we have for the hook lifts.
How is it with the hook lift system in the US, are they often to be seen around or is it cable hoist all over the industry?

In my experience there are a lot more "roloff" trucks around, but hooklifts are gaining popularity. I think that companies that specialize in container work tend more towards the rolloffs, contractors and such that want to move their own material or equipment usually buy a hooklift unit.

In my part of the world for the bigger trucks, it's almost entirely endless chain rolloff hoists, like this unit:

http://westerncascadecontainerllc.com/Flyers/WCC Roll Off 21413.pdf

Hooklifts tend to be smaller, like these:

http://westerncascadecontainerllc.com/Stellar Hooklift.htm

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I have never seen that chain system lantraxco .

I wonder what the pros and cons are between it and a conventional hooklift . . . there are a lot of big examples around and they seem to work exceptionally well.

Cheers.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I haven't seen that type of chain hoist either. In my area the roll-offs are all cable hoists.

lantraxco

I think it's a geograpical thing, to be honest I can't recall ever seeing a cable hoist rolloff in my neck of the woods. The chain drive system has a couple advantages, one being you don't have to leave the cab to grab a box, another is that you can to a degree push a box off the chassis with the hook. Since the hook acts a bit like a trailer hitch, it's not uncommon to see a driver maneuvering a box into or out of a tight spot like you would a trailer. Of course you do have to be able to get the truck close enough to latch the hook into the eye at the bottom front of the container, sometimes a stout chain with a couple grab hooks can suffice though. Very similar system to a hooklift I suppose in many respects. Oh, another thing, I think the drive motors and planetaries used to drive the chain are probably faster and lighter than the cylinder reeving setup I see on some of the cable systems, and less prone to contaminant intrusion/leakage? Just a guess.

Clue

Is there anybody in here who are familiar with the hook lift system? There is a lot of container pick-up hook heights on the market today. My question is: what is the standard hook height for the containers in your country/state? Is it standarised to one specific hight or is there multiple heights going in the same market?