• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland 4.75 Injector Replacement

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I have a 2016 New Holland 4.75 at work that came back with an engine miss. Figured it out to be bent pushrods. Full disclosure, my diesel repair experience has been very limited. I've rebuilt Ford and Chevy gas engines from scratch a number of times with no issues so I figured I'd give this a go.

I had to disassemble a lot of engine parts to be able to pull the valve cover off and took pictures along the way. All of the injectors had to come out and I kept everything in order so all injector components went back in the same spot they came from.

Replaced the pushrods and got everything back together and held my breath when I turned the key. To my joy the thing fired off after 30 seconds of cranking! Idled rough for a few minutes but smoothed out after the air bled from the fuel lines.

The tractor ran great for about a week but on one outing the number one cylinder started blowing fuel past the injector. They shut down immediately and I towed it back to the shop and have it tore down again to the injectors. I couldn't find any installation procedure online so I figured I'd ask here.

The nut that clamps the injector in place was loose. Below is a photo of the injector plus the rocker clamp that holds it in the head. Under the right end of the clamp there's an adjustment nut on the head I suspect makes the proper degree of force to lock the injector in place. As I mentioned, every injector and clamp assembly went back in the same hole and I didn't touch the adjustment nut. When I assembled the injectors for the previous repair I tightened them with a torque wrench to the general specification for that size nut and bolt, I couldn't find any other torque values. I double checked every nut and bolt for torque on this job along the way because I didn't want to have to do the tear down again for a loose one.

I wasn't aware previously that the washers under the injectors are crush washers and are one time use. I reused them and this could be the source of the problem. I also want to be sure I'm installing the injectors properly instead of my hunch.

Does anyone know how to check the adjustment bolt on the head for the rocker clamp? If the same injector is going into the same hole and the adjustment bolt hasn't been tampered with does it need checked or adjusted? Anyone know the proper torque for the clamping nut on the rocker? I'm both frustrated and embarrassed with this job, I rarely have repairs come back like this. I'm going to redo all of the injectors while I have it apart again. Thanks in advance!

injector.jpg

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Thanks!

I went to the New Holland dealer and one of the techs was willing to talk with me and walk me through it. He said if I hadn't tampered with the adjustment screw it will be fine and the clamping nut gets torqued to 21 ft/lbs

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm the Department Manager where I work but I try to keep the equipment running in between administration work. What should have taken a couple days ended up being a couple weeks with everything else I have on my plate. While I was disassembling I came across a number of bolts that were not much more than hand tight, including the clamping nuts for the injectors.

I retraced my steps from the last repair and figured out why my repair failed. I've never worked on a machine with metric bolts before and when I looked up the torque specs they were in Newton/Meters. My torque wrench doesn't have that scale so I went to a conversion chart and apparently read it wrong.

When I was doing the assembly on the last repair my gut was telling me the bolts weren't tight enough but my head said the torque wrench doesn't lie. Turns out I was only at about a quarter of what the torque should have been, including the nuts clamping the injectors in place. There were two injectors that were blowing by and now I think it was more a result of not having been tightened enough than reusing the crush washers.

I finished reassembly yesterday and after cranking for about 30 seconds it fired off, ran rough for about 5 seconds and then smoothed right out as the air purged from the fuel lines. While I'm a bit embarrassed to have had the job fail I'm pretty confident I got it right this time and feel some relief having figured out where I went wrong.

I mentioned earlier in the thread I've rebuilt old school carburated engines but this was my first attempt at an electronically controlled and emission diesel. Took lots of pictures disassembling to get it right going back together but I questioned myself about being in over my head the deeper I got into it. I managed to pull it off but I'm not sure I'll try it again LOL!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Good job.

My mechanic skills are about as good as my finish carpentry skills so that's why I move dirt. :D