• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New guy here needing advice on equipment for clearing land.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
jaclo; have to ask, what is the aversion to a dozer? Not to start an argument with the old hands on here, but what time I have run a trackloader for landclearing, high reach for pushover leverage is about the only benefit I've seen. They are slow and cumbersome and if he decides to dig and finish grade a pond, good luck with that. I'll take my 6C with 4 way and rippers any day over a trackloader. Also as he said most of his overgrowth is small stuff, won't he end up with a mess of dirt in his piles trying to feather and feel a bucket edge?

jaclo

jaclo; have to ask, what is the aversion to a dozer? Not to start an argument with the old hands on here

Oh man, I'm only 27 don't throw me in with that group of grumps.

We have done some fairly extensive land clearing for farming. I would say 99% of these jobs a conventional dozer has not seen any significant time on site. Mostly since the trackhoe can knock the trees down easier IE the leverage on the taller trees and the bucket cat with its teeth sits up higher and you can more easily see what you are doing when it comes to cleaning up. Plus you can go after the bigger trees with the bucket cat because again, leverage. We do trees that range from small brush to cottonwoods 3-5' in diameter. When you take trees out this big you either have to saw them or you have to be able to pick them up with two machines out of the hole, which can be 3'-5' deep on the big ones.

Getting them down is the easy part. Need to dig a small ramp so the bucket cat can get underneath the roots to lift the tree up out of the hole, then both machines to drag the tree to the pile. Granted these trees are not super common to be taking out (fortunately) - I'm just commenting on the strength of the trackhoe/bucketcat combo. I honestly don't have any experience with a conventional dozer in the trees simply because of the flexability this combo gives us.

They are slow and cumbersome

Sounds like a cat to me, we workin by the hour or are we racing? ha

but what time I have run a trackloader for landclearing, high reach for pushover leverage is about the only benefit I've seen. They are slow and cumbersome and if he decides to dig and finish grade a pond, good luck with that. I'll take my 6C with 4 way and rippers any day over a trackloader. Also as he said most of his overgrowth is small stuff, won't he end up with a mess of dirt in his piles trying to feather and feel a bucket edge?

Yeah for sure and if we were digging a pond we wouldn't use the track loader. But you -could- if you wanted to. What I do know about our 963C is that it is a dirt pushing son of a bitch. I don't enjoy everything about running equipment but one of the more fun things to do is backfilling holes with that machine. Don't get me wrong it isn't a D8 but it has power and you can move dirt that way. There is a refined skill in being able to use the teeth on the bucket to sort the material. I can't explain it it's just a lot of practice and driving back and forth. I'll just put it this way; When a guy tells us he is going to drag his half a million dollar john deere planter through the spot where trees need to be cleared, 963 and 324 all the way. We have had great luck and wouldn't do it any other way.

Other guys do things different and that's fine too there's more than one way to skin a cat.

:my2c

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
jaclo; have to ask, what is the aversion to a dozer? Not to start an argument with the old hands on here, but what time I have run a trackloader for landclearing, high reach for pushover leverage is about the only benefit I've seen. They are slow and cumbersome and if he decides to dig and finish grade a pond, good luck with that. I'll take my 6C with 4 way and rippers any day over a trackloader. Also as he said most of his overgrowth is small stuff, won't he end up with a mess of dirt in his piles trying to feather and feel a bucket edge?

WR that's why I prefer a track loader cleaning up a clearing project. With the bucket and teeth it allows you to rake, sort and pile the debris. It's much easier to roll the brush, logs and limbs in order to get the dirt out for more efficient burning. My 953C is anything but slow however it is heavy and will find the soft spots.

I've graded many building pads, roads and parking lots with that 953. Also finished too many slopes to remember, built several retention ponds and even took down a house or two with it. Trackloaders are regional machines for some reason, here they are very popular so I've been exposed to what they can do my whole life.

Old Junk Man

11143Hwy 90 West Pocahontas Arkansas 72455
Occupation
retired
Ive wore out dozers clearing land for rice farming. Extensively bulldozed hill ground for pastures dug ponds ect. For only 25 acres it really isn't feasible to buy a dozer to get it cleared. Get a big chain saw and saw the trees low enough to the ground to brushhogg over them. A good heavy 4 wheel assist tractor with a front loader can pile the stuff needing to be burnt. Just saw it into small enough pieces for the tractor to handle. then buy a stump grinder. Bulldozing sloping land lets the top soil and organic material wash away. I own a TD 14 A that's in good cond. and clear I my hill land with a chainsaw. Let it be known your clearing and folks can have the firewood for free. you will have lots of firewood cutters doing part of the job. Why spend over a $1000 per acre on a machine & then have to buy fuel & parts? Im shure you can take bids and get it cleared cheaper than a $1000 per acre.

boatskipper

Ive wore out dozers clearing land for rice farming. Extensively bulldozed hill ground for pastures dug ponds ect. For only 25 acres it really isn't feasible to buy a dozer to get it cleared. Get a big chain saw and saw the trees low enough to the ground to brushhogg over them. A good heavy 4 wheel assist tractor with a front loader can pile the stuff needing to be burnt. Just saw it into small enough pieces for the tractor to handle. then buy a stump grinder. Bulldozing sloping land lets the top soil and organic material wash away. I own a TD 14 A that's in good cond. and clear I my hill land with a chainsaw. Let it be known your clearing and folks can have the firewood for free. you will have lots of firewood cutters doing part of the job. Why spend over a $1000 per acre on a machine & then have to buy fuel & parts? Im shure you can take bids and get it cleared cheaper than a $1000 per acre.

Sawing and using a stump grinder would take way more time and effort than I have. I don't have the spare time it takes to do that, not to mention I can do it with the right equipment and then sell the equipment when I'm done and recoup most of the money. A $25,000 Dozer today will not be worth much more than the same one with 200 hours more on it when I'm done. Plus I'm looking to purchase the 25 acres next to it, so that will add more work.

Plus I might not have explained the terrain well enough. This isn't sparsely wooded land, it is very thick with trees and dense brush. It is so thick and poorly maintained that you can't even get a four wheeler through some parts of it.

So I'm definitely going to get a dozer or a track loader as others have suggested.

Old Junk Man

11143Hwy 90 West Pocahontas Arkansas 72455
Occupation
retired
on the face of it your plan sounds really good. in practice it rarely works out that great. There is this thing called murphys law. However you will learn a lot. It commonly works out someone buys a fifty year old machine. Then replaces all the hoses one at a time. then the engine,trans or final drive goes out. You would be better off to rent a newer machine.

td25c

Good advice Old Junk Man .

Was clearing out some trails in the woods today and this thread came to mind .

If you enjoy operating and want to own track loader or dozer then buy one . That's what I did . Use it on the farm and on job sites . Do all my own wrenching on it when needed .

Don't plan on ever selling it .... Nope, gonna keep it for the duration .

If you want 25 acres of ground cleared I would look at estimates from local contractors vs. rental rates on a machine and how much time you want to spend on it .

This is what rental rates look like in my area on Cat dozers . Oh yeah ...... When clearing bigger is better . I like the D6T .

http://whayne.com/rentals/products/dozers/

NCSUfan2015

If you really wanna do it yourself then buy the best condition/low hour machine that you can afford. It should keep most the resale value considering you wont put thousands of hours on it. If you go cheap upfront you'll still pay for it in the end by doing lots of repairs.

Delmer

That's one way to look at it. The other plan is to buy the cheapest, oldest, still solid machine you can find. If it fails you scrap it and lose less money than the depreciation on something newer. Of course the job still needs to be done:D Nothing's guaranteed, except most likely this is going to cost more and take longer than expected.

td25c

Something else to be wary of is these guys when clearing .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yello...ern_Yellowjacket_Queen_(Vespula_squamosa).jpg

Uprooted a pretty good size village of them yesterday when pushing over a tree . Dropped the Fiat Allis in high reverse but after about the 4th sting decelerated put machine in neutral and bailed off . Had to let it set for about an hour before I could go retrieve it .

Just something to keep in mind if you are running an open station tractor .

moriboy

Occupation
Machine shop owner
Last year I bought 85 acres of brush and trees. While a D7 sized machine would be about right, I decided on a JD 650 to help with clearing. While it's a bit small for dealing with bigger trees and stumps, it is perfect for grading and smoothing out things after the brush is gone. I think it was the right choice for me. And, I'm a DIY guy. I bought the land to keep me busy when I'm not at work. It might cost me 10 times as much to do this all myself, but I don't care.

69Camaro

I would check on logging the trees before you clear them. Stumps are less fun to dig up, but not horrible with a decent sized machine. I don't know what kind of timber you have, but even if it's not much it would at least buy some diesel fuel. I agree with what one of the others said, do some homework on it and buy as nice a machine as you can stand to pay for. If you take care of it and buy it at the right price, no reason it shouldn't be worth as much when you are done.

franklinute

i do several hours a week clearing on my property with a JD450C loader. I can take out some really large trees using the
advantage of digging around the rootwad and pushing the tree as high as I can reach. I think a crawler loader is a more
versatile if you have to choose one machine. I burned some large brush piles yesterday and the ability to roll
the piles over several times shaking much of the dirt out helped the piles burn quick and clean. I just wish I had a crawler
loader twice the size of my 450.

CatToy

Would someone mind taking a look at this and giving me your opinion on this dozer? I think it is more than big enough to complete my job.

https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvo/5243722413.html

I am also interested in this one.

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/hvo/5223726964.html

Any thoughts/advice on either of these dozers?

I am no expert but looked at several Case loaders and dozers, the dozers of this size have a good reputation, case has the two speed shifting, or speeding up and slowing down a track to turn instead of just stopping a track to turn. I liked that feature. I have been around several old school equipment operators that did not. Price seems a tad high for similar dozers around me. I would bought one but the nearest Case dealer is 140 miles, Cat dealer 3 miles, being able to get parts or mechanic help is a big driver for me.

I am not familiar with the D5B but I would assume it is just as good as any Cat dozer of that size. I know I like my D4H. Anything with a Cat label will be premium priced, and it is in the ballpark for the price of the dozers near me but I do not see them moving, many have been on the market for over a year.

The both look like they were not abused but it is hard to tell in a picture, really need to go drive each for hour. I am sure folks who actually own one of these can give you some things to look for.

As to "more than big enough," IMHO, never have too much, I only have 17 acres and almost bought D8H for about what I paid for my D4H , really liked it, but would not fit in my shop door.

CDUB

Without looking very close, I would go with the D5B. It definitely doesn't have a 6way blade as advertised, and the pictures don't give any indication of the condition of the undercarriage. My in laws ran a couple of them for years doing lots of clearing and dirt work. They were very good machines.

Hey All -

(It is not my intention to hijack the OP's thread. So if this belongs in a new thread, Mods please feel free to move.)

This is a great thread. I ran across it when I discovered this forum. Like the OP, I too am also strongly considering buying a piece of equipment to clear about 25 acres. I'm a total noob when it comes to heavy equipment. My experience has been on the farm with a couple of tractors.

One difference between me and the OP, is that I'm in central Texas and my property is completely overrun with Huisache (Wee-Satch) trees. They have zero value and are a major nuisance, full of thorns and nasty to clear by hand. The majority of my trees are in the 2 to 6 inch diameter range, but there are a handful that are 10 inches or more. The tallest is about 20 feet. The average is probably 10 to 15 feet. They have to be ripped out by the roots or they re-grow. If you just cut them, you have to spray the cut stump with Remedy to kill the plant. I've cleared about 5 acres with a JD farm tractor and a 3-point Turbo Saw, but man is that slow going. I also have a 3 point tree puller and I can pull most anything that is about 5 inches or less, but again, very slow going.

There's been a lot of good suggestions to the OP on this thread. My question is, for you guys who have made a specific recommendation to the OP, would your recommendation stand for the type of work that I need to do, or would you modify your recommendation?

Thanks -

Christopher