• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Graders

CAT140H

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Anyone has a John Deere 770G or 772G or GP?
How are they standing up?
We are due for a New Grader so just wondering if we should stick with the Cat M series or a Deere.
Our Cat H series is nearly time to trade in. :)

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
we have a 770g. great machine. outside of servicing it, the only trouble we've had was the a/c drains plugged up and got some wires wet and it started throwing about 20 codes at once. once I got it to drain the codes went away. we tried out a 140m for a couple weeks. The operator didn't like it but I never heard why. We now have a komatsu on rent and half the guys like it and half hate it. different strokes I guess. we also tried out a 77? gp with the 6 wheel drive and the guys fought over who got to run it.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
We rented an 872 once. We only kept it for one summer, but it seemed like a nice machine. Had some electrical issues with the 6 wheel drive. As far as operating comfort, I prefer our Volvo grader.

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
We rented an 872 once. We only kept it for one summer, but it seemed like a nice machine. Had some electrical issues with the 6 wheel drive. As far as operating comfort, I prefer our Volvo grader.

Same here. We have a 770 that my boss runs, it replaced a 140h. It's okay. I'm not a big fan of the John Deere wing, everything run off the front "mastless" mast is odd for me to get used to. Both the Volvo and the Cat got WBM wings and that's what I'm used to. Being able to shuttle the Volvo is nice for intersections. The new "m"s due that too I guess. I do like the Volvo, but it's had it's fair share of down time. None of the others have the resale of CAT, but i'm unsure of what one would be like snowplowing. Some contractors and county's here have gone to "M"s, then gone on to other machines- usually Deere. But I haven't gotten a chance to talk to them and see what their experience was like on the "M". The Deere plows snow and grades just fine. I do wish there was a little more metal to the cab. The front windows vibrate when the wipers are going. All there is separating the front panes is a little h bar. And the door itself is completely glass. I just find after a few days in it, I need an hour of quiet at night to "decompress" if that makes any sense?

CAT140H

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
We are going to Demo a 2015 JD 870G tomorrow ( April 22, 2015). I'll see what it's like. Running a 07 Cat 140H now.

R6022

I never operated the M series. But I have spoken with guys that did. I am telling you if you are new to the grader than the M series will be best for you. The old style is very tedious and it is a feel type with less viewing area unless you are tall or sit up high. If you sit low it will be hard for you.
If you sit up high you will bang your knees.
I am thinking about returning. If I do I want to operate the M series. Or I just might rent one to see if Cat has a good idea.
I like the old style Reason. If you can't find a M series and the guys that operate the M series will be less production because the old style grader. The old style is for production the new style M series is for the new guys.
I have faith I can operate either one with production.
My intake. If you learn on the new M series than stay with Cat.
If you learn on the old style stay with Deere, Volvo, Komatsu
Now, Komatsu has a problem grading road stones. The stones seems to break the hoses a lot. So becareful back dragging. Keep a dozer with you