• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New CASE rollers

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am considering purchasing a new CASE roller. I have been nagging the dealer to bring a 204 (an 8K twin drum vibratory type). So they bring in a 202. I have yet to demo it. Does anyone here own one? I currently have a Vibramax 265. Decent roller except when I need to get parts. Since JCB bought Vibramax, the CASE dealer who was a Vibramax dealer has to get parts from a JCB dealer, so by the time it gets down to me I paying an arm and then some for parts (hyd filter $289.00). So it is going to someone who hopefully has a JCB dealer nearby. Any info would be appreciated.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am picking it up tomorrow for a demo.

I would settle for any good rumors on this roller/ 3rd, 4th hand I am interested in hearing it.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I would settle for any good rumors on this roller/ 3rd, 4th hand I am interested in hearing it.

Ummm.......I think its yellow.......:beatsme :D

Naw, I ain't got nothing, but make sure you posts some pics. :drinkup

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hey Kaiser...I'm not pullin your leg (for a change) but is the Case roller made by Case? or is it one of those joint venture re-badging type machines thats made in the Bomag factory or something. Just curious....I'm off to our Tradies Expo tomorrow so I might ask around, Case normally have their smaller machines on display.

DigDug

KSSS- I am interested in your experience with the roller. Let us know. Thanks, doug
I am presently renting a Bomag model ?? 66"

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I spent a day on the machine here is what I found out.

That machine is made in the Czech Republic (my geography is a little rusty but isn't that close to the guys that built the Yugo?) by Ammann.

The operators station sits on top of iso mounts. It works so well that you cant tell when the drums are vibrating.

The operators station is very clean. The engine is a Deutz, not over thrilled about that but the Kubota in my Vibramax has not been exactly trouble free either.

It packs a good punch. Very tight in roadbase material after only two passes (many variables I know).

It took a minute getting used to the turning radius. the nose is longer than I am used to. It reminded me of running an IH 2+2 if any others have run one your know what I mean. It is not that long, but longer than I am used to. The sight lines to the edge of the drums are very good.

I have not yet figured out the drive system. My Vibramax would run the front drum to go forward and rear drum to go back. This machine will sometimes use both or not. Makes no sense I know, it seems to use either front or back drums for both forward or back depending on resistance I guess. I will experiment with it more.

The dealer will let me keep it for a month gratus if I want it I keep it if not I can give it back. Pretty good deal. They were to appraise my Vibramax so when I see the numbers I will decide.

Overall, I am impressed on the refinement of the roller, the hydostat is responsive and exact, it just felt like a quality piece of equipment (hard to quantify it just felt well made). My roller is a 1997 so comparing the new one to that one may not be fair. Last year I rented an IR DD25 in fact I was soo fed up with the Vibramax at that time I would have bought it on the spot. I rented it for two days and was not impressed. Visibility sucks. You have to slide the seat side to side to see, the engine and cowling is huge on the IR which on a road project may be fine but not in residential and light commerical it is not practical. It seemed to compact fine but not near as comfortable to run as this machine. I kid you not, you can set a cup of water on the seat and I doubt you would see a ripple, the mounting on the operators station is that impressive.

If you have an opportunity to rent or run one I would recommend trying them.

My only reservation is with CASE's committment to this roller. I am hoping that if I buy it, two years from now they brand someone elses roller, and now I cant get support for it. Atleast this one says CASE on it which makes me feel better. I feel like I was left on the side of the road with the Vibramax deal (which I was).

06bowtie_guy

Sorry can't help on info but would like to know what kind of deutz does it have? Those liquid cooled 1013's are a PITA to change a starter. Have to remove the rad to do it.

Underground new machines are comming in with a benz engine instead of the deutz. Not sure about specs on the benz but most manufactuers have changed over.

DigDug

Kssss - I thought you was talking about a single drum roller for dirt? Are you running a dual drum asphalt roller on dirt? Thanks doug

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am, I use it to prep for concrete. 3/4 crushed roadbase mainly.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I will wait on till Fall to pull the trigger on this roller. Price tag is around 36K. That is a lot of money priced similiar machines and it is priced right but still a lot of money for what it is.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Trigger pulled. Own said roller.:cool2

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have been running this roller for several months now and I have to say it was a good purchase decision. Hits hard, starts in cold weather, very smooth. My biggest issue is the bracket that locks the artic joint during transport was engineered by an idiot and the gas cap lock was done by an equally challenged engineer (could be the same one?). Overall I like it.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
Hey Kaiser...I'm not pullin your leg (for a change) but is the Case roller made by Case? or is it one of those joint venture re-badging type machines thats made in the Bomag factory or something. Just curious....I'm off to our Tradies Expo tomorrow so I might ask around, Case normally have their smaller machines on display.

From my understanding, the case line of packers is made by Ammann, based out of Czech Republic.

Farmereinar

i have a case 252 (3-5 ton) i purchased new in 1988 for...18k i believe

has not had a problem until this past year when the shutdown arm spring broke inside the engine case, so it was a lot of work to pull the hatz diesel apart n find what happened.

other than parts being a big ripoff and the case power tan paint fading to pink i cant think of anything bad to say about it