• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

needing to line up the axle splines in a 2015 d9t to get the axle back in

fiat41b

Im not having any luck getting axle back in the d9t i have a fabricated nut welded to a 4 foot long pipe that attaches to the end of the axle. Had to pull dozer off trailer cause there was a problem starting it and the lowboy driver had to be off to the next load. Started the engine the last spline spin as fast as soon as it starts Cat dealer told me to just put it into neutral and lightly move the diff steer handle so far that's not worked at all the Cat Dealer said they doubt they are going to spend the money 588.00 on the toll so i had one made what do i have to do to get the splines all in line

fiat41b

i dont have the sun gear off should it slide out easy if not whats best way
im thinking the inside splines are not lined up

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Wot he said. You can't line up the inside splines at the same time as installing the sun gear into the planetaries on the outside. Remove the sun gear, get the axle shaft into the splines first then move the final drive as needed with a jack to get the sun gear into mesh. The sun gear is only held in place on the shaft by a snap ring.

fiat41b

Wot he said. You can't line up the inside splines at the same time as installing the sun gear into the planetaries on the outside. Remove the sun gear, get the axle shaft into the splines first then move the final drive as needed with a jack to get the sun gear into mesh. The sun gear is only held in place on the shaft by a snap ring.
Well we tried to pull the Sun Gear out but it's like there's some kind of washer behind it and it's in the back side of the Sun or those planetary gears I can also feel the splines slide back and forth as I move them separately from The Sun Gear please forward me some advice on how to get this Sun Gear out that make things easier

ahart

Take some pictures, I’m not following. If you can’t get the axle in, the sun gear shouldn’t be started yet so it can be removed.

Nige

I’m not following. If you can’t get the axle in, the sun gear shouldn’t be started yet so it can be removed.
D9T final drives are double reduction. Slap on the head time......
The outer sun gear #31 is fixed in place on the inside with snap ring #40 and will not come out.
The axle shaft threads straight through the splines of the inner sun gear #41.

1682207435714.png

The "jack under a track grouser" idea should still work to adjust the orientation of the inner and outer splines in order to get the shaft in.

To the OP. Keep an eye on your messages.

Nige

If you want to crank the engine without it firing up - find the "crank without inject" plug on the left side of the engine (circled). There will be 2 plugs, one connected to the engine wiring harness, the other one will be zip-tied back out of the way. Swap the two plugs over and you will be able to crank the engine on the starter without it actually firing up. Swap the two plugs back when you're done.

1682208449036.png

fiat41b

Yea under sprocket probably as i don't currently have any blade or ripper on the machine its just got a stack of counterweights it was a stockpile tractor I traded the big blade for a semi u

ahart

I know from experience, when it comes to axle shafts, sometimes they go right in and sometimes it takes a lot more effort than it should.

fiat41b

If you want to crank the engine without it firing up - find the "crank without inject" plug on the left side of the engine (circled). There will be 2 plugs, one connected to the engine wiring harness, the other one will be zip-tied back out of the way. Swap the two plugs over and you will be able to crank the engine on the starter without it actually firing up. Swap the two plugs back when you're done.

View attachment 284486
I took a picture of my left side engine compartment I will post it its not like this pic close but other things in the way

fiat41b

View attachment 284486
here is my left side engine compartment

Attachments

• 20230507_111939.jpg
    20230507_111939.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 12

Nige

Is that it peeking out from behind the secondary fuel filter.?
Either way it's going to be somewhere in that area and at that same height. Possibly a little bit further forward and hidden behind one or other of the fuel filters.

1683569093223.png