• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

need tips to install pvpk1 on 580b

deer70

any one have any tips on installing pvpk1 busing kit on case 580b ; Ie when you weld on the large bosses that hold the outer bushings, do you tack them in place whith the pin lined up, then remove the bushing before final welding so the bushing does not get to hot, how many passes of weld, what rod, large taper on boss inside for weld room or facing out. Thanks. did search found no info.

TD-5

I used a mig when I did mine. Lined up & clamped new bosses so pin floated freely. Short stitch welds at 180 degrees from each other untill all the stitches were one. Kept checking frequently with pin that there was no distortion. Then a final second pass. My mig welder was under sized for the job , so I would have needed 2 passes any way. Probably could do it with one pass with the right size wire.

Attachments

• P3300001 (Small).JPG
    P3300001 (Small).JPG
    57 KB · Views: 955
  • P3300005 (Small).JPG
    P3300005 (Small).JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 947
  • P3310001 (Small).JPG
    P3310001 (Small).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 917
  • P3310006 (Small).JPG
    P3310006 (Small).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 924

Deon

TD-5,

That is really nice work. I didn't think you were suppose to be able to weld on the ductile iron. Is this swing frame not made of the same material as the Case backhoe boom or is it cast steel?
Also, how much did you use the backhoe since you've done this weld job? How many amps does your welder put out and what is your wire size?

Last edited:

TD-5

I was told that the castings on the B are steel. The boom base & stick cylinder mounting are also castings that are welded to various other pieces to form the fabricated boom. I think case went to a ductile iron one piece cast boom somewhere around the "K" model ??. The swing table welded like it was cast steel. I used a little Lincoln 100 & .025 wire with a tri mix gas. Can't say what the amps were exactly as adjustment dial is A-J.
I've got about 150 hours on the machine since,The big test was digging in 450' of irrigation line 5' deep in rock & clay & no problems showed up.

Last edited:

Deon

That is very interesting. Did you make or purchase the weld-on bushings? I'm surprised you could get enough penetration with a 100 amp welder. I assume the small wire is a help. I don't know how one can tell the difference between ductile iron and cast steel. Maybe some one will answer this question. Anyway, your work looks very good indeed.

DirtIsMyName

Iron and steel throw different color sparks when you hit them with a grinder. My stuff is labeled Ductile Iron Do Not Weld. I wonder if you can straighten it? Maybe in a hammer press or something.

If you do a search on PVPK1 case 580 you will find places that sell them.

Last edited:

d2r

TD - Thanks very much for the pictures, this is exactly what my hoe needs. Did you use a repair kit and, if so, which one? If you did it from scratch can you tell me what type of steel you used and whether you heat-treated the bosses & pins?

One last question. How did you handle the swing tower & boom when you disconnected everything? It looks to me like you'd need a forklift with that kind of weight.

thx again... d2r

TD-5

d2r, It was a kit(s) that I used. The kits came with the machine when I bought it 12+ years ago so I don't know who originally made it. However it was missing the two pins & bushing kits for the tower pivot points. These I purchased from an outfit in the US. They would not ship to Canada though, so I had them shipped to Arizona to where my parents winter & they brought them home.
These companies also show kits for the swing tower, but I don't know anything about them.

http://www.brokentractor.com/index.html

http://www.collins-services.com/

Because I was also removing all the cylinders for rebuild I welded 2 temperary keepers between the stick & boom so it could not move & removed it from the machine. I have an overhead track & chain block in the shop to lift the various pieces with which made things much easier. The swing tower itself is not that heavy ( +- 200lbs) so it can be man handled around on the floor but you still need something to lift it off & back on the machine.

Attachments

• P2140002 (Small).JPG
    P2140002 (Small).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 806
  • P3300010 (Small).JPG
    P3300010 (Small).JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 840
Last edited:

d2r

TD - again thanks.

Maybe it's just me, but having the pictures along with the explanation is really helpful. Now to find somebody in Canada who has these kits.

trevor b

d2r i've delt with broken tractor very happy with them. are you near a border crossing? i order my parts get them sent to ups store in the u.s. then drive over pay $5 come back pay txs at customs your done! tb

Dickjr.

That is good info to have , there are dozens of old case machine around that just need a little pick me up.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
labadten why do you say ignore this post?

Probably because they posted something in error, and since we don't have a "delete" option, they edited it out before the "last edited by" notation took effect. You have an hour to edit, total, but I think you have two minutes to edit before it's noted at the bottom of the post.

Better question is why you bumped a thread from last October and went off topic, just to ask that question. :cool2

And, welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums. :drinkup

(We're really not as picky as my reply would make it seem.) ;)

d2r

Pins & bushings - shipped to Ontario

d2r i've delt with broken tractor very happy with them. are you near a border crossing? i order my parts get them sent to ups store in the u.s. then drive over pay $5 come back pay txs at customs your done! tb

Got a reply from one of the guys I emailed for a quote. Apparently they will ship cross border. Shipping quoted here is two prices to Hastings Cty., Ontario... one for full kit and one minus the swing cylinder kit.

swingkit.jpg

PART #91(SWING CYL KITS REQUIRES 2) ARE $198 EACH
PART #92(UPPER SWING TOWER VERTICAL KIT REQUIRES 1) ARE $198 EACH
PART #93(LOWER SWING TOWER VERTICAL KIT REQUIRES 1) ARE $198 EACH
PART #94(HORIZONTAL BOOM PIVOT KIT REQUIRES 1) ARE $260 EACH

UPS GROUND ON (2) #91 (1) #92 (1) #93 & (1) #94 WOULD BE $110
WITH OUT THE (2) #91 UPS GROUND WOULD BE $80​

Best regards,
Dan Kornstad
Central Equipment Aftermarket & Used Parts
3008 Biddle Rd.
Medford, OR 97504
541 770 7082
dan@centralequip.net

dwloop

OK... Digging this thread back up. I am getting ready to install the PVPK1 kit myself in a few weeks and am wondering what others may have done about the alignment of the boom? I am thinking that all the wear in the swing tower bosses will be on the bottom, so I was going to install the new bushings in the boom itself first, then install the new pin and raise the boom and lock it. Then put upward pressure on the boom to hold the pin and weld on bosses to the top of the holes in the swing tower, measure to ensure the boom is centered in the tower and tack the bosses there. Does that sound logical??

I am planning on welding the bosses with my 220V Power MIG w/ NR-232 self shielding wire, then capping that with 7018 as needed.

Any more tips from those that have done this would be appreciated.

IMG_0241_640.jpg

Dave

wray nc

dwloop, how did your pin and bushing repair go. I need to do the same to my 580B, never done this before or anything
similar so could not offer any advice. I will probably drive mine to a welding shop and have it done so it will get done quick.
Thanks

mikey1

Occupation
local truck driver
Likewise you guys, I will drive mine to the mechanic and have him do it , so it is done right !! I dont have a welder or the knowledge of welding.