• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help or a direction to go on tapping into hydraulics for installing a JRB quick coupler and Thumb on Hitachi zx180

7379df

Wanting to know if anyone can point me in the right direction for plumbing a quick coupler and also a thumb for a Hitachi zx180 lc-5. Needing to know where to tap in for the plumbing for both of these. The JRB is second hand so I will have to come up with my own electric solenoids and same on thumb. Thanks for any help !

Mobilewrench

Most jrb couplers that I have dealt with tap into the bucket cylinder piping for pressure and use a solenoid block to control flow. Generally look like this. I have never had to look inside of the box that holds the control switch. That is a testament to how bullet proof the electric side of jrb couplers, because I cannot say the same for any other brand of coupler. But I think I happen to have one in one of my yards and I would be happy to open it tomorrow and see just exactly what the switch is. I can also send you pics of a jrb control valve that I have loose off of a Deere 330 so you can get a better idea of the piping.

download.jpeg

Last edited:

7379df

Thanks Guys ... appreciate the input. So Mobile, if its tapping into one of the bucket cylinder lines, then the only time the coupler is pressurized is when its curling or dumping ? Or am I misunderstanding. I also thought about installing my own solenoid with a push button, not a switch, and not on the joystick but somewhere so a guy couldnt accidently engage. I havent bought the JRB coupler yet because i was wanting to get everything figured out first. If anyone knows of any for that machine let me know. I think its 80 mm pins but need to check between the ears and Center lines.

Mobile if you had time would like to see those pics and if you have any items you would sell I might be interested. Thank you sir.

7379df

Yes sir Dave, its push button only. No proportional. I was thinking about upgrading joysticks to the ones that Hydraulic Circuit Tech has but not sure how much they are. Do i need a proportional ? I havent had the pleasure of operating a quick attach. Been running track hoes for 20 years and all mine that i have owned never had one. Our track hoe currently has hammer on it and was plumbed from the factory. To engage its one of the pushbuttons on RH stick. Im sure everyone knows.. but its quite a process to change from bucket to 3500lb hammer. Been taking us at least 30 mins.

Diesel Dave

Yes sir Dave, its push button only. No proportional. I was thinking about upgrading joysticks to the ones that Hydraulic Circuit Tech has but not sure how much they are. Do i need a proportional ? I havent had the pleasure of operating a quick attach. Been running track hoes for 20 years and all mine that i have owned never had one. Our track hoe currently has hammer on it and was plumbed from the factory. To engage its one of the pushbuttons on RH stick. Im sure everyone knows.. but its quite a process to change from bucket to 3500lb hammer. Been taking us at least 30 mins.
If you can ,take a picture of the existing auxiliary solenoid valve to get a better understanding of which control kit the factory installed.
I assume you will be wanting to run a hammer and the thumb.
You will need to tee in 2 thumb isolation valves where the jump hoses connect to the tubes on the stick ,closing them when running the hammer.

Last edited:

Diesel Dave

If the machine was plumbed AND the joystick auxiliary control handle was installed at the factory , I’m betting the 2way flow for the thumb just needs to be selected in the monitor.

7379df

I will do that tomorrow Dave. It was for sure done at factory or sent to NPK and they installed it when machine was new. Thats what John Deere said when i gave them the serial number. The only thing i was thinking is that its only one way flow or single acting, meaning there is only one pressure line going to the hammer and the return line piping is going back directly to tank or there around that area. I see what your saying though... fingers crossed it has a two way ! Thanks for your time and input Dave.