• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help help becoming an operator?

Lot's of good advice in this thread. Have you tried your local IUOE apprentice program? Keep looking, IMO don't call, go talk to the foreman, face to face. That's basically what I did, got lucky, got alot of seat time with the first job, not much money, but that wasn't the main point, it was seat time!

Which lead me to get my second job, which in turn helped me become an 1st year apprentice. Don't give up.

Im actually on my second try for the union apprentice program, first time i passed the test but didnt get an interview and now im waiting for the results for my second try and i wont get those results untill april :Banghead. Talking to a formen face to face would probably be a good idea but i dont know if i could just walk on to a job site like that.

engineer 714 did you get a job yet or still looking?

Im still looking lol. I cant even tell you how many contractors ive called in the past couple months lol. For now im in college so its not that big of a tragedy that i havent found a job yet, but i cant wait for the day to turn in my books for a hard hat.

tippatone

Did you get on yet??? I am in the same boat, but I just turned 31 so time is not in my favor. When I was a teenager, I was helping at a gravel site in Jamaica driving the loaded trucks to the front of the yard for the waiting drivers, loved it to death, but I always wanted to be in the cab of the loader. I never forgot about it, even while in working in the hospital I knew I wanted to work with heavy equipment. My IUOE here in GA said they are not taking any applications til August, is this possible? So many other states with worst money troubles than GA still running their apprenticeship programs, why is here different. I tried calling different contractors but all say the same thing "sorry, can't help you.

oXoGINAoXo

Hi guys.....I'd hat eto invade your thread, but my name is Gina and I am looking to apply for the Local 12 apprenticeship program. I think I would rather be a surveyor than an operator. They are accepting apps. starting january of next year....My Dad was....well is still a member of local 12 (30 some odd yrs now...he runs a loader). My question is what sort of things will they be looking for on the exam...I would like to prepare myself a bit if i could. I would ask my dad but he didn't do the apprenticeship, he just put himself on the C list and worked his way up....Any help would be great!!!! Thanks guys!

Case 580e

what you have to do is start out as a labor then work your way up and dont be afraid to ask questions. sooner or later you will get some seat time like i did

Still nothing i cant even get on as a laborer no one is hiring. I couldn't even tell you how many companies i've called in the last two years lol. Ive taken the union test three times and passed it all three times but no interview i just gotta keep trying.

NJDOT is on a hireing freeze i was gonna get in with NYCDOT as a laborer but i had to change my address and get a cdl and i couldnt get all that done by the time they needed it so hopefully next year that can be something to fall back on.

tippatone

NJDOT is on a hireing freeze i was gonna get in with NYCDOT as a laborer but i had to change my address and get a cdl and i couldnt get all that done by the time they needed it so hopefully next year that can be something to fall back on.

I applied for NYDOT also, same thing here, need to get a Class A CDL with Air Brakes, when I get those they said I can try again, I am in a similar position, I am considering to apply for the Local 612 heavy equipment program, but I will have to relocate to Wash. state, not a problem because I want so badly to become an equipment operator, good luck with your search

basspro

I am in the same boat, but I am 34 & want to operate so bad I can taste it. But, I am not shure I would look good compared to some 18 year olds laboring (I am not fat, just not in the shape I was at 18), also I have a family, & mtg...so financial demands are tough on me.

So, when just walking onto a job site, ask for the foreman, & then...is where I need help. I have always been a quiet, get it done person, but am not good at selling myself. I don't have hardly any seat time, but can weld, turn wrenches, & I am an electrician.

What, as a jobsite forman do you want to hear from a stranger just walking onto your jobsite?