• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help asap on what set ups to buy

Kjdemo

Ok I'm sure this has been talked about but it's hard to find spec info out there. I own a 40,000 lb 8.5 wide and 51,000 lb 10.5 wide with extra reach excavator, I have always paid to have transported from job site to job site. I now want to purchase my own set ups to haul and I live and do business only in pa.

I plan on buying a tri axle and trailer and semi and low boy. My question is what do I need to buy/look for when buying, are all tri axles tow the same weight? And what size trailer? Also what size semi and what size low boy? Do all semis tow the same weight? Is there a certain Axle configureation I need on these trailer and trucks? Also like I said the max I would be hauling is the 51,000 excavator.

Thanks for all your help in advance

roddyo

Occupation
Manipulator of the Planet
You need to call your state permit office and check how much weight you can put on each axle of your truck and trailer with a permit. The 160 should be fine if is 102 wide or narrower. Does it have 24 inch pads? If so, it should be load and go. No restrictions.

IMO you need to be looking for a 35 ton NGB detachable lowboy, also called a RGN. With that setup you should need an over width permit and probably be overweight a few thousand pounds with the big machine.

That's why you need to call your permit office and make sure you can permit at least 92,000 on 5 axles. If you can't get any answers pull in a set of scales, walk in and ask questions. Make sure you driving a car:)

Last edited:

Shimmy1

Do not buy a 35 ton RGN. Frames are too light. 50 or 55 ton should be fine. You also will more than likely want a hydraulic, non-ground bearing trailer. The ground bearing trailers such as the Witzco Challengers are not good if unloading off-road. Trail King, Load King, Dynaweld, Fontaine, Talbert all build good trailers. XL specialized are ok, paint is really crappy and they are kind of over-built. That's what I have, the price was right but I would like a Dynaweld in the next few years. If you get a light enough tractor, you should be able to keep under 88,000 with the big hoe on the trailer. Permitting should not be an issue.

Last edited:

nowing75

We have a load king 50 ton tri axel trailer and tandem axel t800 tractor. We haul a 336 excavator and gross about 122,000. We can get a permit in Indiana but I have about 48,000 on to drives. We are looking at a diffrent tractor that is speced heavier. Just tried a cat truck today but did not scale it yet.

Kjdemo

Thanks for the help, I went to look at a 87 ford tri axle today that I plan on buying, anything in particular I should look for when buying larger trucks?

Silveroddo

Thanks for the help, I went to look at a 87 ford tri axle today that I plan on buying, anything in particular I should look for when buying larger trucks?

If your not pretty familiar with trucks, get it checked out by a mechanic. '87 is getting up there and if you don't know what your looking at tuition could run pretty high on " big truck mechanical components 101" . If someone has taken care of an older truck and knew what they were doing its one thing, if they didn't by the time you go through a repower, rear diffs, suspension, brakes, and tires you will have a really good idea of what to look for next time.