• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Control Cable for Condor 68 Boom Lift

bsmith

Occupation
Engineering software developer
I have an old (circa 1990) Condor 68 boom lift 2wd with a two cylinder air cooled Deutz diesel engine that I use on my ranch for various tasks. Here is a picture of a lift like mine http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7748885&

My lift has been modified over the years such that the main control cable and hydraulic lines that control the platform rotate and tilt functions are draped in a sliding "festoon" fashion alongside the telescoping boom sections on separate telescoping supports. The cable and hydraulic lines are exposed yet stay out of the way fairly well.

The problem I have is that the control cable has been damaged (before I bought it) and thus shortened and spliced over the years. Thus I can't extend the boom out to its maximum length and several minor functions like the platform rotate and the high speed travel don't operate. I want to replace the control cable with a proper length one and restore all functions.

Condor is out of business and http://www.minnpar.com/ has taken over the parts supply for Condor. When I contacted Minnpar and gave them the serial number of my lift, they came back with a quote of $2,300 for an original 78' replacement cable. That price was quite a shock and when I asked them for some specifications on the cable, they refused to give that to me. They specifically said that they did not want to aid me in buying a generic replacement cable. Even with that uncooperative attitude, I ended up buying a service manual from them for the lift and even though it is quite large and comprehensive with wiring diagrams there was still no details on the cable such as number of conductors and sizes of the wires.

I then examined the control cable on the lift and it has a 7/8" outer diameter black rubber jacket like an SO cord. I carefully counted 40 conductors with the sizes and colors below.

1 yellow wire 12 gauge
12 white wires 12 gauge
27 white wires 18 gauge
--
40 conductors

The conductors are numbered or lettered, but not in a 1-40 fashion as you might expect. The wires are numbered almost randomly. There are wires labeled for example 1, 3, 4, 6, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 48, 57, 67, 101, 60A, 57A, 57D, 67, 67A, 67C, 101, H, E, etc. Most wires have the number printed on the wire and they all have a little white tag on the wire with these ID codes. From the wiring diagram I did correlate these wire ID numbers with the manual and further confirmed the 40 conductor count of the main control cable.

I am confident that I could replace this cable with an appropriate generic 40 conductor numbered cable as I could map the original ID wire numbers to a new set of cable numbers.

Given the way the cable is now routed on the machine, I don't have space issues and do not have to use the same original combination of #12 and #18 gauge wire sizes. A new cable could be 40 conductors in all 12 gauge for example.

Can someone recommend an appropriate cable type and source where I can buy 78' of new control cable suitable for use on this boom lift?

Last edited:

bsmith

Occupation
A guy from http://www.nassauwireandcable.com/ gave me a quote of $11.80 per foot for some 12/44 SOOW cable. Very flexible SOOW portable cable with 12 gauge conductors seems like it would work fine. Would this cable be ok for this application (occasionally used boom lift on a ranch) and does this price seem good?

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
You could also run 2 cables. Something like a 16/30 Type TC control cable and then a separate 12/12 for the major power. I can't see that old Condor needing so many 12 gauge wires. Seems like overkill to me.

We had 2 of those Condors in the fleet "back in the day".........there is no high speed drive for you to find. They were very, very slow machines.

bsmith

Occupation
You could also run 2 cables. Something like a 16/30 Type TC control cable and then a separate 12/12 for the major power. I can't see that old Condor needing so many 12 gauge wires. Seems like overkill to me.

We had 2 of those Condors in the fleet "back in the day".........there is no high speed drive for you to find. They were very, very slow machines.

OFF, good point about using two cables as only 12 of the original cable wires were 12 gauge. Using a second cable of just 16 gauge wires would likely save some money. My Nassau cable guy revised his price on 12/44 SOOW down to $10.50 per foot. Interesting to hear that the old Condor's only had one drive speed. I'll dig into the service manual on that. It is so slow that I thought for sure more speed was possible, but as you point out, maybe not.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Interesting to hear that the old Condor's only had one drive speed. I'll dig into the service manual on that. It is so slow that I thought for sure more speed was possible, but as you point out, maybe not.

Don't get me wrong, there were two speeds - dead slow or painfully slow. Both way less that walking speed. I remember it taking 8 hours to drive a Condor 8 city blocks from one job to another. And if there was any loose gravel on the road you had to get out and move it cause the machines wouldn't even climb over gravel sized rocks. :eek: Tires would turn at approx. 2 RPM.

The lack of speed & power was all in the valve body. The cure was to remove the drive spool, and on each leading edge of the spool there was little "transition slits". Little grooves. Filing those groves deeper/larger made the machine come to life. Trial & error - just a little at a time and it didn't take much. If you know a good hydraulic mechanic - consult with him.

bsmith

Occupation
Don't get me wrong, there were two speeds - dead slow or painfully slow. Both way less that walking speed. I remember it taking 8 hours to drive a Condor 8 city blocks from one job to another. And if there was any loose gravel on the road you had to get out and move it cause the machines wouldn't even climb over gravel sized rocks. :eek: Tires would turn at approx. 2 RPM.

The lack of speed & power was all in the valve body. The cure was to remove the drive spool, and on each leading edge of the spool there was little "transition slits". Little grooves. Filing those groves deeper/larger made the machine come to life. Trial & error - just a little at a time and it didn't take much. If you know a good hydraulic mechanic - consult with him.

That makes more sense now as I was sure there were two speed options. For whatever reason, I only have one of the speed options right now. I really appreciate the drive spool modification tip. I have a 470 acre ranch and it takes forever to get anywhere on the Condor. My John Deere 650g dozer can run circles around it and I have always thought of the dozer as a slow machine. No one knows slow until they have ridden in a Condor 68 for awhile.

Rchilds

I have the cable you are looking for at a very reasonable price call me soon as possible at 518 744 1833

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
I suppose there is no point in searching for "extra fine stranding" in order to assist in flexibility?
Some electrical texts indicate finer than class B or C, and there is a IEC 60228 class 6 standard (probly eurostyle?)

The number of times the boom will move on these machines compared to standard SO cord is probably a realistic reason to not search for the super flexible cable.

The exterior jacket seems to me to be the practical concern as some of this stuff goes to heck pretty quickly in the sun and the elements.

Jcampos

Can someone help I have the same problem with the electric diagram I download a several of manuals in minnpar.com but any match with the condor 68 that I have came one of you help maybe taking pictures of the two boxes and I compare them with mine