• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need advice on which skid steer to buy

Nicker

Hi there:
I'm looking for a year or two old machine with a forestry package and Mulching head.

Any advice on what to buy or stay away from?

Thanks, Nick.

Bentworker2

Occupation
Substation Electrician
You might try asking in the Forestry Equipment forum.

The only advice I have heard is to make sure the skid steer has the horsepower and flow to keep the brush hog or mulcher running at speed. I'd also think about the fact that those attachments are going to be loading your machine down to 75%+ capacity all the time you are running it. It would probably be a good move to pick up something with more horsepower and flow than you think you need. I have no idea what machine may or may not be a good choice, since I run around in a beat up 1987 Case.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
G,day Nicker, I know less than 5/8ths of not much about mulcher heads but I do know the guys round here running grinders and trenchers go for what Bentworker is talking about....and then they have been known to be found tweaking away at the fuel pump sometimes.

Yellowdog

Max hp and torque you can get. GPM and pressure should be around 37-39 and 3300-4000 psi.

I've owned the new CAT C series machine and 2 Bobcat K series (s300 and s330) and used all of them with CAT (FAE) mulching head.

S300 did okay with the GPM and pressure but the motor was weak. So far the s330 is very good and spec wise is the same as the CAT 272c (almost).

I'm running 39 gpm at 3450 psi for machine right now. Just got the new machine so I will be testing and reporting more.

Ran CAT 272c for 200hrs with CAT mulcher. Mulched exceptionally well.

digger4u22

I OWN AN older case 1835 and it has 4k hours on it...It has made me more money then any of my other equipment. It never breaks down, and burns very little diesel.

SKOAL

I have seen alot of ASV RC 100s with the forestry package running mulchers. They flow 38 gallons a minute I think and have about 100 horsepower. Here are some used with mulchers included.http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=ASV&Mdltxt=RC100&mdlx=exact&GUID=7DA199B220AD42BD9B8B96A19D4AF3FB
i have run the 60 and 90 for a while broke the 60s suspension the 90s a monster though one thing that scares me is that theres not much protection for the hyd drive lines not that ive broken one but there always seems to be a piece of random crap near them

Last edited:

Nicker

New ASV to me

Thank you for the tips, I ended up buying the ASV RC-100 from a fellow member on this site. The machine is just a blast to run and very predictable. It has the lofness head and a 4 in 1 bucket which all work great.

There is nothing like the joystick controls and A/C in such a mauverable and powerful machine. I have a motocross track to build on 110 acres so I will be getting my money's worth.

txbrushbuster

I have 2 for sale

Will sell a Cat 272C(240hrs) or Bobcat 330 both with forestry packages. We have 3 mulchers Magnum, Gyro track, and Land Tamer all ex cond.