• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a good machine for making a Homesite

JE1

Hello All,

I was hoping to get some suggestions on a machine to purchase for making a home site on some acreage I own here in WA State.
Will need to pull a lot of stumps, do foundation work, some grading, trenching etc.
So far I have been looking mainly at Case 580c's, these seem like they might be a good option for a tight budget.
I'd like to stay close to 10k.
Any suggestions on other machines that might be good would be greatly appreciated.
This will be my first purchase of any type of heavy equipment. Any suggestions on what to look for in a used machine would also be appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Metalman 55

The 580C should be a good choice if you are limited to 10K, but you should be prepared to do maintenance work on it, as they are almost 40 yrs old now. If the stumps are bigger than 6" diam., the machine will be a bit light. Good luck with a purchase.

Reactions: JE1

Delmer

Don't limit yourself to a C. I've seen a K sell for less than that 10K and not need as much work as you'll put into a C over a few years.

And don't limit yourself to $10K, you'll be in any backhoe a lot more than that once you get the bugs worked out more than likely.

JE1

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up purchasing a Case 580 super E 4x4 for 14k
Hired a mechanic to go look at it w/ me and it all checked out.
Have used it quite a bit since purchasing and is running good. I replaced a few zerk fittings and repaired a flat rear tire so far.

Hobbytime

nice machine, as with anything used there will be small repairs and expenses, as long as the machine is sound, the best $$ you spent was on the mechanic to check it out....I just put new tires on my backhoe, the only time with the old set I got a flat( and thats going 12 years) was when I was pushing a shed and ran an old rusty potato rake over...$180.00 later it was fixed..now with new tires I expect them to be like magnets and find every piece of metal in the ground..I tossed up foam filling them, but a little pricey, ill see how it goes as is.. most important GREASE EVERYTHING that needs to be greased on a regular basis...

Reactions: JE1

JE1

Thank guys, the first thing I bought for it was a nice battery powered grease gun. Have got all but two fittings taking grease now.