• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My teeth don't match

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Wear Parts didn't have any standard 18's......so I got some tigers...didn't think they'd be that much longer:eek: :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Tigers 001.jpg
    Tigers 001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 831

Turbo21835

How does that style of tooth keeper work for you? I had a similar style on a loader I was running. Once the shank had a little bit of wear you would lose teeth. My teeth always looked like what you have going on. On an excavator its not too big of a deal, but with the loader on concrete you were always catching expansion joints or other edges.

Josh

cat320

Charter Member
your lucky all you have to is pound the pin down I had to push it out sideways what a pain to get it out. so what atvantage does the tiger tooth do.

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
They tend to help split the edges of the ditch up easier in harder material.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
How does that style of tooth keeper work for you? I had a similar style on a loader I was running. Once the shank had a little bit of wear you would lose teeth.
Josh

Josh, I think they suck big time. Under hard work the pins will bend and then the tooth can move a bit and the tag breaks off around the pin. That bucket has only about 60 hours from new and the tag broke because of bent pins.

And yes, if you wear the adaptor any then they will also break off. Also the slightest bit of hard packed dirt stops them going back on. You have to scrape everything clean all around the adaptor and inside the tooth to get them together. I suppose at least you don't need an oxy torch to change teeth.

so what atvantage does the tiger tooth do.

The tigers quite simply give you a more concentrated break out...good for ripping small amounts of sedimentary rock or breaking tree roots. I have tigers on most all of my other stuff.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I have swapped all my buckets and ripper tooth to Esco Super V teeth. In 5 years and over 3000 hours on multiple machines and buckets, I have never lost a tooth.

http://www.escocorp.com/markets/mining/tooth_systems1.html

Yours have the keeper that gets pounded in from the side? We have them on our 220 Excavator and I think they SUCK, don't pull through hard dirt very well. And the keepers don't stay in, shanks are tight, just not good for what we are doing.
Trbo

atgreene

Yours have the keeper that gets pounded in from the side? We have them on our 220 Excavator and I think they SUCK, don't pull through hard dirt very well. And the keepers don't stay in, shanks are tight, just not good for what we are doing.
Trbo

No, mine have the keepers that drive from the top down. Never heard of anyone loosing one. The ones that drive from the side all suck, the keeper pin takes the brunt of the force.

tylermckee

On our 140 and 160 buckets we use the keepers that drive from the side and never lost a pin, working in shot and solid rock. If your teeth fit tight like they should you will have no problems.

surfer-joe

I've mostly used Tiger Teeth for frost work. They give good penetration for that, and they work good in hard ground too. Not much good in rock, and the wear life is considerably shorter than a regular or long shank tooth. Where I'm working now, the company is using Tiger's on both Cat 345's with 72" buckets, and a Volvo 330 with a 54" bucket. Most of our material is fairly soft, but there are some reefs of very hard rock too. The Tiger's tend to break off in that stuff. Tooth life has been poor in general.

I've had much better luck with the side retainer and pin (Cat) than with any other method of tooth retention. The top mounted pins are somewhat easier to remove and install, particularly on excavator buckets, but my experience with them is that they tend to push out easily on their own and you suffer tooth loss. The ESCO horseshoe retention system isn't all that great either. They tend to come loose and break, which means they are a real SOB to remove then. Any retention system that uses a rubber keeper of some kind is trouble.

If you lose a tooth and keep running, you got trouble, as a new tooth on a worn shank will wiggle around like an eel and won't stay put very long no matter what system of retention you have.

There is a nice tool available to assist in getting side pins out, last one I bought was about 22 bucks. I think I still have it. I remember one 992 bucket that had extra shanks welded on that forced me to remove three teeth on either side of the one I wanted just so I could get a long driver pin in to get that one tooth off. First time I did that, all I had that would do the job was a nice hardly used Snap-On 32" extension. It came out sorta beat up, and I soon had a regular drift pin to use instead. That was on a Kiewit job in New Mexico.

dumptrucker

If you lose a tooth and keep running, you got trouble, as a new tooth on a worn shank will wiggle around like an eel and won't stay put very long no matter what system of retention you have.

What we did when we changed teeth if there were any loose fitting teeth we would weld up spots on the shank until the tooth fit tight. Never had a problem after that. In the winter we just removed the teeth and welded them up to fit tight. Would last all season with out loosing any teeth.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
What we did when we changed teeth if there were any loose fitting teeth we would weld up spots on the shank until the tooth fit tight. Never had a problem after that. In the winter we just removed the teeth and welded them up to fit tight. Would last all season with out loosing any teeth.

I've often thought why not forget the pins and weld the tooth on with two small welds at the back (where they wont wear too much) that can be ground off to change the tooth:pointhead ...........but of course we don't all have a welder out on site ...:Banghead

dumptrucker

I've often thought why not forget the pins and weld the tooth on with two small welds at the back (where they wont wear too much) that can be ground off to change the tooth:pointhead ...........but of course we don't all have a welder out on site ...:Banghead

I think that the welds would problably crack under the vibration. :beatsme