• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My project: A 1957 Galion 603 grader

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
Well, it looks like it's worth doing right by.

Are those 13.00 X 24 tires on the back?

If they are, please tell me what size are the fronts, they appear to be a truck tyre. Might solve an expensive problem for me.

Did I say tyre? Now ya'll got me doing it....

tireman

Looks like a small grader.I've done 8.25-20's on a small site grader before.Very well could be what we're seeing here.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
If I remember correctly 40 and 50's Cat and Galion blades had small tires on the front The large front tires were a option.

Reubs

Hi guys, The old girl is a small 5 ton maintenance grader that has 7.50x20 tyres at the back and has 7.00x20 truck tyres at the front, I believe small graders like these had small front truck tyres back in the day, as they would normally have been used on small tasks and not much big heavy duty work.

Reubs

Hi folks, nothing much has been going on with the grader lately, but over the past week we have been removing the cylinder head as we suspected that the engine had a cracked head gasket, and we did Indeed find a hole in the head gasket after we removed the head, pics will be up soon If folks want to see them:drinkup

George catman

Hi,

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks very similar machine I spent a lot of time working on as an apprentice and it was a 503A galion grader??

Reubs

Hi George, yes this grader is basically the same machine as the model 503, except that this Is a english built version and uses an english built IH bd264 motor rather than the american motors the u.s.a built examples tended to use.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
Gallion 603

Hi George, yes this grader is basically the same machine as the model 503, except that this Is a english built version and uses an english built IH bd264 motor rather than the american motors the u.s.a built examples tended to use.

I spent some time on one of those back in 70s when I worked for an outfit in Tauranga, we used it on small subdivisions and driveways etc, nice and light didnt break footpaths and the like. Has got the same motor as the BTD 6 dozer. Cheers RDG.