• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My NEW Case 530

Walker1

Recently bought this Case 530. This replaces the Case 1845B, which replaced my Ford 8N. I originally sold my 8N and Cat forklift and went to a skidsteer that I built a forklift front end for. The idea was to shrink the amount of equipment that I had to maintain. The only problem was that Skidseetrs make poor forklifts, and poor tractors. Lesson learned.
I bought this relatively cheap. The 3pt wouldn't lift, brakes didn't work, and the tires are shot. Got it home and changed the milky oil in the final drive section. The fill plugs were loose. Pulled the lift cover and replaced the seal on the piston and the wear ring. It now works and stays up well. Had to weld the end on one of the lift arms in order to put the Gannon on.
After the lift, I concentrated on getting the brakes working. Had to replace a set of bands, and order the balls and springs for one side. Not too tough, but it was a little tricky getting all the parts back in place with the loader frame on the tractor. It stops now!
I had to drain the old fuel, clean the sediment bowl, put a screen in it, along with a new gasket. It will now start and stay running, so I drove it up and back on my road. In 4th gear high you can really feel how out of round the tires are from sitting flat, makes for an exciting ride.
In the next week I am hoping to get a set of rear tires for it. The tires on it are 16.9-24 R-4, I am going to go back to the stock 14.9-24 R-1.
After that, I will use it around my house over the winter to make sure it is reliable, then I will take it up to my cabin in the spring to work on my road and lot. It will likely stay up there until the end of November, then bring it home and figure out how to attach my backhoe to it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 522

Walker1

I picked up some new R1 tires for the tractor today. They are 8 ply Alliance tube type tires. $295 each. I had been looking for US rubber, but there is none locally, and the cost is more than double, plus $125 shipping. This is for use on my rural dirt road and at my place in the mountains where mud and snow can be a pain.
I will likely pull the rims, remove the tires and paint before I install the new rubber. I think I am just going to go back with the factory red and silver scheme.

Walker1

I have finally gotten the last of the fluids changed, finished up with the hydraulic filter and the engine oil and filter today. I also picked up a seal for the loader pump. I am hopeful that it will fix the leak, as it only leaks right after shut down, there is only minor weeping while running. If not I will buy a new pump.
I think I may try and cut some wood parts for the seat pad today so I can start to get the seat covered and padded.

Walker1

I pulled the pump on my loader to replace the front seal. The seal was pooched out in the front, and it wouldn't come out, so I split the case. The case bolts were loose, a couple had never been tightened at all, spider gasket inside was shot and missing parts of it. There are two check balls and springs inside, one of the springs was installed wrong and had been ingested by the gears. The housing had grooves from where the spring wire had been embedded. The side plates and gear faces were flawless. I was amazed that the pump worked at all, much less as well as it did.
So I called the local case dealer, $690 for a new pump and they had it in stock. No other place could have it before a week or so. I ended up ordering it online for $378 and I have to wait until Monday after Thanksgiving.
Unfortunately I have it parked in the way, guess I won't be able to work over the next week. A little forced time off will do me good.

Walker1

It rides much better with the new rear tires on. I painted the rims and centers before I installed them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 266

Walker1

I cleaned up the front of the frame, so that I could pull the splined shaft and install a new belt while it was apart. Ended up having to pull the hood and radiator to get at the pump adapter, as the shaft was frozen in place. I went ahead and painted the affected area after some scrubbing, and digging to get all the oil a crud out of the pockets. All ready for the new pump.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 241
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 243

Walker1

The new pump is in and the loader hydraulics work great! I also painted the grill and the front wheels while I was tinkering.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 209

Walker1

In the spirit of keeping the 530CK and early 580CK information flowing, and to try and keep all my tractor projects together, I will continue posting them here.
I have been working on my box blade, of unknown lineage, I pulled the worn blades and picked up some new from Cutting Edge Supply for $75ea out the door. The front blade was worn into the bolt holes, and I am in the process of trying to determine how much material is missing and from where. I clamped on a straight edge where I suspect the original bottom ended, and will need to cut some pieces for that, as well as the front blade mount.
I also included a generic Gannon diagram that shows how all the parts line up. Mine is not a Gannon, but seems to be a Gannon clone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 161
  • image.gif
    image.gif
    15 KB · Views: 168

Walker1

After pulling the junk blades off the back, I was toying with the idea of bending my own bucket cutting edge. I played around with the old blade and made a couple of bends. It will not bend to ninety degrees cold! So I put one end in the forge, made the bend by hand, then quenched it. I heated the other end, but put a fire brick on top to see if I could stop the heat from spreading out. It was very effective. This side I bent hot in my ironworker. It made a nice 90, then I let it air cool.
After it was all cool, I checked it with a file and found that the quenched area was nearly as hard as th unheated area, while the air cooled area was nearly as soft as mild steel. I beat on the quenched area with a BFH, and it did not break.
I think my method for bending the new blade is going to be to brick off both ends of the blade, leaving a 3" or so area for the bend, then quench afterward. After welding the blade to the bucket, I don't think I will have any trouble. If it does end up wearing faster in that spot, I can always add some hard facing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 160

Walker1

Just to keep my little projects up to date. I did get my box scraper repaired. I used my CNC machine to burn out the side plates, as well as a long rectangular strip with half holes to fix the forward cutting edge mount. Beveled both sides and welded it all together.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 155

onemank6

Hi Walker your 530 looks pretty good are you going to restore it all you mentioned a backhoe is it one fromthis machine or something you have to make fit your tractor ??

Walker1

Not really a restoration, mostly just a functional machine. The backhoe I have is a Case D130, which is a little smaller than the model 32, but plenty functional. I will need to make the bracket to hold it on the tractor.

onemank6

I have the model 33 hoe if you would need any pics to give you some ideas just let me know i will be glad to post some.I know when these 580's dont have the hoe on them they dont get traction worth a crap how does your 530 do for traction ?

Walker1

When I took the box blade off I used my forklift to run it into the shop, then when putting it back on, I set it in the dirt just outside the shop, up a little incline. It took several attempts, and a running start to get back up to it.

onemank6

yea thats been my experience without the hoe on almost eseless without the counter weight but with it she goes like crazy

Walker1

Well, I have been using the tractor, and got the new tires muddy, and haven't done a great deal, but did manage to get some work done on it.
I spent some time at , the computer making some drawings for customers, and drew up a gauge cluster plate to replace the factory all in one gauge..
I cut it out with my CNC plasma cutter, buffed the edges, and installed a set of mechanical gauges. I haven't got the gauges all hooked up yet, but so far so good.
I left room to add a fuel gauge, but don't have that right now, so I will cut the hole for that when I get the gauge.

Attachments

• KIMG0238.jpg
    KIMG0238.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 27
  • KIMG0242.jpg
    KIMG0242.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 25

onemank6

Well, I have been using the tractor, and got the new tires muddy, and haven't done a great deal, but did manage to get some work done on it.
I spent some time at , the computer making some drawings for customers, and drew up a gauge cluster plate to replace the factory all in one gauge..
I cut it out with my CNC plasma cutter, buffed the edges, and installed a set of mechanical gauges. I haven't got the gauges all hooked up yet, but so far so good.
I left room to add a fuel gauge, but don't have that right now, so I will cut the hole for that when I get the gauge.
Walker good lookin dash i cant wait to get my 580 back together and running and moving again but shes pretty much getting a total overhaul and it just takes time seeing the mud or manure stuck in your tires reminds me of all the mud we have around here.On that fuel gauge you might give Dale a shout at tractorstuff.com i thought i seen some 530's in his yard when i was there iif he dont have it im sure he can get it.I know on my 580 the gauge has to match the sender..

Walker1

Well, my Case 530 drove on down the highway to go to work for someone else. I was planning on fixing the bucket cutting edge and the leaky equalizer and bucket dump cylinder and then putting it on CL, but a friend of a friend was interested in a slightly lower price and doing that himself. A little sad to see it go, but it makes decisions on which tractor to put my efforts into much easier.

Here is my new old tractor, a 1972 Case 580B. I had the old 530 for about 7 years, and the new 580 is 5 years newer. So I am upgrading to a tractor that is older than the one I sold was when I got it !?! I’d like to get into the 90s at least, but the machines started getting heavier. This one is at the upper limit of my current trailer, my gasser 3/4 ton truck didn’t think much of it either.

8221D56D-9A13-47F8-BF77-8F2D1F8E4B3E.jpeg