• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My journey continues. Owning a oil well service rig

cfherrman

We don't lol.

I pour used motor oil on the open chains and I pour some on the tubing line and sand line. The tubing lines is the big rear winch that gets used all the time. The sand line is the the big forward winch that has 6000-7000' of 5/8" line on it. It currently doesn't get used much so I put a lot of oil on it

joe--h

Not much help from google. what's tubing line ? Sand line? What are they for/do ?

Joe H

cfherrman

Here's a pic of the drums, and you can see the oil I splashed on the tubing line. This isn't my rig but it's the same.

Tubing drum is for pulling the well and running it in. Has big lines (7/8") and blocks and can pull a lot (70,000#) here's a video running tubing.

Sandline is for running a tool in the hole on a line, typically to pull fluid out of the hole or run a sand pump which is like a baler on a water well. I'll try to make a video about that sometime.

Attachments

• IMG_20231110_134202.jpg
    IMG_20231110_134202.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 8

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
@cfherrman
This thread brings back some memories of my time in the oil fields near Santa Maria, CA from 78 to 86. We moved drilling rigs, workover rigs and I hauled lots of drill collars & wash pipe to the production rigs along with a mud pump & mud pit that the rigs like yours used occasionally. I always enjoyed watching while they were coming out or going back in and a couple times I was allowed to stand on the floor (out of the way) and get a close up view.

cfherrman

Haven't done much with the rig. I did buy new tubing tongs and put them on the rig in I think October.

I'm running a rig for my friend and should be starting to film more pertinent well info and be posting it.

Here's a fun video with my winch truck.