• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first stop by the DOT...

Electra_Glide

Haven't posted much lately since not much has been happening...until last week.

I guess I'm now in the club...I had my first stop by the DOT :eek:. I was moving my skidsteer to a job on Friday evening (Bobcat S175 on a 9999 GVW trailer being pulled by a Chevy 1-ton) so I could start first-thing Saturday morning.

I was cruising along minding my own business, and coming to a stop at a light. As I look in my mirror, I see the flashing lights. All hopes of him going after the guy who just went flying by me were quickly dashed as he pulls up beside me at the light, and says he wants to do a roadside inspection and I should pull over. Keep in mind that it's about 8:00pm on a Friday evening.

From hearing some of the stories on here, I immediately got that wonderful sensation in the pit of my stomach, but figured I would not leave him with a good impression if I threw-up on his shoes as he walked up.:throwup.

Hand over my paperwork (including my expired medical card...:pointhead). He asks me for the weight of the machine (6500 lbs.), and checcks it against the GVWR of the trailer. He then says "I'll be right back". Fortunately, as he starts his walk-around, his cellphone rings. He becomes preoccupied, and just does a quick check of the trailer connection, and an equally quick walk-around. Comes back and hands me my paperwork, and says he's going to let me slide on the medical card but I would have gotten fined had I been going through the scales. He hands me my paperwork, we exchange pleasantries, (while he continues he conversation on the phone) and I'm on my way. The most nerve-racking 5 minutes of my life.

Lucky for me he got that call. Otherwise he likely would have noticed my out-of-inspection trailer. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...:avid.

In all seriousness, it could have been much worse, and it really was a "wake-up" call to get my stuff in order. I don't want to have to go through that again.

Take care...
--
Joe

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
well ya got lucky there..... now go get your med card... and inspection updated....

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Man that was lucky , that happend to me one time in a tandem axle dump , overloaded and no side boards , he was about to call for the mobile scales when a truck with a lowboy came buy with a not so legal load, he quickly gave me all my stuff back and quickly said get some sideboards on that truck got in his car and took off , never been so relieved before

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
1-ton and 9999 lbs trailer? No medical card needed so he couldn't have given you a ticket or citation anyways.

jhill

In Michigan you would need a Chauffers license (bottom CDL here) and med card.

I got pulled over for first time last year. Had all my paperwork but he said my mud flaps were too short. Got a notice to repair but no fine.

Jerry

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
I got pulled over in Sterling Heights Mich one time. I showed him my med card.exc... even a log book. But he wanted to weigh my excavator on the lowboy. I told him I knew I was too heavy but our company sent me anyway cause our new lowboy was not available yet. We went to the city scales but they were closed cause it was after hours. He said cause I was honest with him he was gonna let me go. He gave me his card and said have a good trip. Saw him 6 months later when I had the right lowboy and was carrying same backhoe. He came up to me at a light and thanked me for being honest.....They're not all bad dudes!

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
1-ton and 9999 lbs trailer? No medical card needed so he couldn't have given you a ticket or citation anyways.

Exactly. Most of these guys that don't know anybetter see a piece of equipment on a trailer and say "hey there's somebody to pull over! I bet I can get this guy on all kinds of things and he wont even notice." Know what is and isnt leagal and stay on the legal side. a one ton and a little load like that would be no Cdl matter here. Don't remember the regs in Pa about that so i'm not gonna say anything for sure. Course all the dot guys around here do is catch speeders and fine trucks that are deathtraps so I wont complain. No huhu no prob. Glad you got out of this one.

cat320

Charter Member
I know it's kinda off topic but if they would up the weight you could carry on a trailer most guys would have the right trailer to haul and not try to cheat with re taging or using sub standard trailers. I think they do it to themself really .

Up the non cdl class C trailer weight to 15K lb's
cdl class b to 20k lb's

it only makes sense when they uped the class C to 26k lb's then you won't have pwoplw cheating or using the improper equipment.

to tow most bobcats or mid size min's your right at that limit or above they moved the truck weight up probably because of ryder and uhaul.

does any one agree? maybe some one knows how to go about requesting such a thing .

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Up the non cdl class C trailer weight to 15K lb's
cdl class b to 20k lb's

I agree and would even raise the class B to 12 ton for a decent size backhoe trailer.
I have never understood why a toy hauler with a reg lic was OK but not a CDL dump with a backhoe of the same weight rating.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Federal regs require a med card for any commercial rig with GVW over 10,001 lbs.

Check into it.

cat320

Charter Member
I think that is alot of BS then no one would be able to rent a uhaul ,ryder or other because just because you using it for 2 hour 2 day s or 20 years what's the differance ? right the fed is screwed up in there thinking. just my opinion , you have people driving big trucks with out for a day or two or more and guy's that do it for a living get the shaft that is not right.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
pardon my ignorance...but what constitutes a med card where you are from?

A medical card around here is the proof that we have to carry to prove that we have taken our 2 year dot physical. The company that I work for has their own forms that they have the doctor fill out and send back to the office. Then the doctor fills out the med card, their name and office, my company, office and my address. Date of physical.

cat320

Charter Member
Well point i'm trying to make is ,it's was stated that ny vehical over 10K lbs needs a card so that means leagaly you can not rent a truck inless you

A: have a medical card and or cdl depending on the weight
B: the truck weighs up to 9,999 lbs gvw
no I know for a fact that even the small E-350 cube vans are 11Klbs plus in gvw .

And some guy or girl that is in bad shape can rent them get into a major acident because of health if that is what they are driving at with a medical card. or is it just another way to pump out more money from hard working people??

If you have to get a card that's fine but everyone should have to.

or another rule that should be brought up to date then is over 26,001lbs needs a card .

The state and fed agencies are so messed up . so why should I get a card when any guy down the street renting a truck for the week can drive a 26,000lb truck and not need it, why his health is great for the days it's rented.

alot of loop holes if you really want to get into it with thr rules and regs .

Just like a guy that has a freighliner towing a monster fiver that's the equvilent of a 53' tractor and almost as heavey does not need a cdl???

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
cat 320;
Well point i'm trying to make is ,it's was stated that ny vehical over 10K lbs needs a card so that means leagaly you can not rent a truck inless you

A: have a medical card and or cdl depending on the weight
B: the truck weighs up to 9,999 lbs gvw
no I know for a fact that even the small E-350 cube vans are 11Klbs plus in gvw .

The catch here is a "COMMERCIALLY LICENSED VEHICLE"

True a lot of it is revenue generating laws. and a lot is empire building. But without some of those laws I would hate to think what would be driving heavy equipment on our roads today.
I for 1 would like to see rental equipment (including trucks) fall under the same rules as commercial units have to. I would also like to see those 2500 lb plus motor homes fall under the same safety rules. including driver responsibilities.
In a perfect world all would be equal.

Electra_Glide

Federal regs require a med card for any commercial rig with GVW over 10,001 lbs.

Check into it.

Dwan is correct. Initially he didn't ask for my medical card, but once he saw that the GVWR of the truck was 11000, he asked for it.

I knew I needed it...
I knew it was expired...
I didn't think I would get caught...
I was wrong.

Also, in response to some of the other comments in this thread, it is true that a CDL is not required for the setup I have, but I have one anyway.

Take care and be safe...

--
Joe

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.

Check into it.

The reg states that you need the card if you are involved in interstate if you are in your own state you don't need a medical card.

This is a cut and paste from this web site:

http://www.dmv.org/pa-pennsylvania/apply-cdl.php

In the interest of public safety on the highways, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations require interstate commercial drivers to be medically fit to operate their vehicles safely and competently. You are required to have a physical exam and carry a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical certificate if:

You operate a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or gross combination weight rating (GCWR) or gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight (GCW) of 4,536 kilograms (10,001 pounds) or more in interstate commerce.
You operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, in interstate commerce.
You operate a motor vehicle designed or used to transport between nine and 15 passengers, for direct compensation, beyond 75 air miles from your regular work-reporting location, in interstate commerce.
You transport hazardous materials in quantities requiring placards, in interstate commerce.
You must carry a current copy of your medical examination certificate with you when you drive. Residents of Mexico or Canada who drive in the United States can be certified by doctors in their countries, provided they meet the U.S. requirements.

I didn't realize that you needed one for that small a vehicle when leaving the state. I only knew about if it needed a CDL you needed a med card and if it had air brakes you needed a med card.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
I have heard of truckers running semis up and down the highway just dumping the trucks they are driving when they get to the weighbridge on the N3. there was a case where a truck was 24 metric tons over weight, they (the traffic authorities) stopped the truck and the driver bailed.