• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first bulldozer purchase

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Merv's D4E or another one that looks like Merv's?

Merv posted pictures of his D4E dozer with rippers. I don't know if the link above showing the D4E pulling the scraper is Merv's machine or not. I am sure that he will chime in and set us straight.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Be mine alright !
Feel quite honoured the esteemed Mr Plant would keep a pic of this man and his noble steed; esp since im a kiwi ; and 'baiting' between us kiwis and the shackle draggers [we also have another name for them that sounds very similar :drinkup] is a much time honoured tradition between our 2 countrys !
here b another pic workin this time. Whangapoua 1.jpg

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
Hi Mev
I have just put 2&2 together that's the D4 you brought of me.Still looks good.Hope you are having good run out of it.Shame they didn't keep that design in there new ones.I spent a couple of years on D3 & D5g's loved the drive train but the rest is a b*****d.Spent a couple years on D11's doing mine rehab work now driving a fuel truck.Ready to go back to Mike on roading in the forest.He is runing 3 8's now I'm hopless at typing but more I do the better one will get.
Cheers

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Hi Ron; yes has been a good tractor, few minor gremlins but nothing I couldn't fix. Poor girl hasn't done very much last 18 months, the butt dropped out of everything in NZ, except forestry roading. Been doing a lot of that this year, mainly driving a D7H for a mate of mine. Is one D8R up my way doing same, but too big and heavy for our clay plus a pita to legally move. 30 ton digger and a D7 seems a good combination for forest work. Had a good pic of it and a stump, rootball was bigger than the 7 but cant seem to post it, is too big.
Look me up if you come back here, I owe you a beer :drinkup merv

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
First work of the year for the D4E.

Well, I got the dozer out for the first time this year and put to work. I needed to build a haul road about one mile long to a stash of gravel that I own. It will require thirty to forty loads in my single axel dump truck to gravel my driveway.

I am used to my 951C loader, power shift and petal steer. When I first got on the dozer, direct drive, I was backing up and it would not turn in either direction. After a few minutes of head scratching I remembered, Pull the levers before braking a track to turn dummy! I had a wonderful time on the old girl building the haul road.

haul road and ditching driveway 002.jpghaul road and ditching driveway 001.jpghaul road and ditching driveway 009.jpg

nicky 68a

good luck.Nitelite with the operating of the thing.I've read your threads on getting them fixed up and am looking forward to seeing them go to work.Enjoy them mate..

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Still loving that old D4E direct drive. Getting ready to fire it up and do some road work. Build riding trails for the kids to ride their atvs' through the woods. Gives grampa a good excuse to go trail blazing on the dozier. I have some stockpiled diesel that needs burning anyway.