• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My first bulldozer purchase

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
All of my life I have wanted a bulldozer. I am now 64 years old and the day will finally come. Tomorrow I am going to purchase a Cat D 4 E with a wench and a PAT blade, sweeps, ROPS and screens. It has been sitting inside for 20 years. It was only ran just enough to keep it operational. It has 4500 on the hour meter. The owner and his son bought two of them, just alike, 20 years ago from Weyerhauser. The father never used his and he died just recently. His son, who owns the one just like it just had the lift cylinders rebuilt, one glow plug replaced, the injector pump rebuilt, all fluids checked, oil and filters changed, some hydraulic hoses replaced, and oil samples taken and analyzed. Thompson Machinery did the work on it. UC is 95%. It is only 25 miles from my farm so the haul bill will be minimal and the price for the machine is $15,000. I will take a trusted Cat dozer mechanic with me to operate and confirm the condition of the machine before I pay.
I am in Tennessee and have 35 acres of hills and hollows. Stumps to remove, fence rows to clean out. I also have a 1acre lake to drain and clean out. The lake has about 4 feet of sediment that has accumulated over the last 30 years, below the sediment is a solid rock bottom. I know that a loader would be better for that job but it is what it is. I also have a 50 hp tractor with a loader and will consider buying an old dump truck for that job.
The size of the PAT blade bothers me. It is not very tall and is much wider than the dozer. Is that a problem or am I worrying about nothing. I have never operated before and it could be that it is just a matter of what you start out on and what you get used to.
I also would like to dig up some yellow rock to use in building a retaining wall. Will the PAT blade hold up to digging yellow rock?
I tried to add pictures but I had no success. I think that my pictures are too large. In another post on this forum there is a picture of a d4e that is hooked to a scraper. It was recently bought at an auction. That dozer is exactly like mine.
More after I get it home.

pp13bnos

Welcome to the HEF. And having a mechanic check it out, is a great idea. Congradulations btw. CJ

sillaw

Be sure you let the lake dry out before you put that old D4 in there otherwise it will just sink to its belly and spin the tracks for you. You are likely to find that the tractor with the loader will actually be quicker than the dozer. I have found that if its sloppy the mud just flows around the blade and you end up with nothing in front at the end of the push, any way enjoy the machine.

Oxbow

Welcome Nitelite!

Typically PAT dozers are a touch narrower than standard angle dozers. The most common complaint is that when fully angled, the leading corner does not protrude far enough and the track on that side will run on whatever spills off the leading edge.

I personally prefer them a bit narrower as there is less leverage on the corners, and I tend not to use them fully angled very much anyway.

Regarding digging the rock, I am not familiar with the rock that you have there, but it should hold up ok as long as you don't get to prying too much and just ease into it. Hitting it full steam may cause some unwanted repairs.

Enjoy you're new toy!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Yellow rock is soft when first uncovered and it comes up in layers of varying thickness, usually 4 inch to 8 inch layers. A backhoe can dig it easy enough. After being in the sun and drying out it becomes fairly hard. I think a ripper would do real good in yellow rock, I will be on the lookout for one. Can a ripper be mounted along with the wench that came with the standard Cat timber package?

It is 3:00 AM and I will meet the owner today at 4:00PM to make the purchase. Have I covered all of the bases and is there anything that I need to check as a result of lack of use? I have a list and I just added, check for rust in the fuel tank. I hope that the Cat dealer would have caught that when they rebuilt the pump and changed the filters.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Is there a title on a bulldozer or do I just need the owner to give me a bill of sale at the time of purchase? Thanks for your replies!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
paperwork on a dozier

Is there a title on a bulldozer or do I just need the owner to give me a bill of sale at the time of purchase? Thanks for your replies.

Oxbow

I don't believe that you could mount a ripper along with the winch, and swithcing them would not be a task that you would want to engage in very often, if you could find a ripper for it. There used to be some pull behind rippers that pulled off the drawbar and had a set of wheels and seperate frame work for the ripper. They were pretty cumbersome, but might be an option. I would try it with your dozer first and see how it goes.

If the Cat dealer went through it then you should be in good shape with it. You may change belts and hoses with some frequency at first, but it should be reasonably sound by your description.

Good luck with it and have fun!

Andrew_D

I did see a pic of a larger dozer where someone had mounted a hydraulic winch on top of the ripper frame. So anything is possible!

Andrew

P.S. I found one!! I knew I'd seen this somewhere. This is a Komatsu D85, but gives you an idea.

D85A18-2_JPG.jpg

Last edited:

Oxbow

Well Nitelite, are you the proud owner of some yellow iron?