• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Multi or Single Shanks Ripper

bigcatpip

what do you dozer guys like better for ripping?

Last edited:

DPete

For my type of work a multi shank for ripping next to stakes or the toe of a cut. They are more versitile as you can pull 1, 2, or 3 shanks. The single shank ripper is probably stronger for the toughest ripping but in the material I work with the multi shank makes alot more sense

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
This question will be answered by another question. What is your material type? The harder the material the less shanks you use. If you are just scratching the top "crust" to get scrapers started for example you can run a triple shank and just go 2nd gear with the teeth a foot or so down.

If you're trying to bust down through some nasty rock you'll want to go with the single shank option and crawl along in 1st adjusting your decelerator so you don't have any track slip (U/C wear).

Multi shanks are usually found on the smaller dozers (6+7) as they tend to do the lighter multipurpose work. Single (usually adjustable) shanks show up when you start doing bulk work with larger dozers (8+9+10+11) who are usually in harder ground that other machines cant get in.

Single shanks are usually adjustable as well and this comes in really handy when you are either trying to bust through rock or seporate layers of dirt without mixing them.

The less shanks the more ripping power you have.

LDK

Personaly I prefer the tripple shank for about the same reasons as DPete mentioned. If I am in rock that needs a single shank, I usually have that dozer working out ahead of me. I know that is not an option for everybody but I am quite happy with that arrangment.
I have run 8, 9, 10 and 11's with tripple shanks, that had adjustable pitch. It was also possible to adjust the legnth of the shanks but you had to manualy knock the pins out. I did run a D8R once that had a single shank ripper that was converted to tripple shank and that still had the hydraulic pin puller on the center shank, I found this usefull on occasions, when I hit a little tuough stuff I'd lower the center shank and loosen things up with that. Also the three shank set up is way faster in easier going, the single set up has to do three passes to cover the same area.
If in an area that has a lot of boulders of a certain size I have found that the single set up can shift them from side to side, the tripple brings them to the surface usually.

Make mine a tripple!

bigcatpip

I think that if you are working with pans it would be better to run with a multishank. but if you are working with hoes & trucks a S.S. would be the best bet. The D-9 that I work around has a multishank but he rarely has more than one shank in. which to me is a waste to have the M.S.

bigcatpip

maybe it is a west coast thing to run with a multishank on large dozers

DPete

In normal hard dirt and some hardpan here we run 3 shanks on a D8, you get alot more done per pass. On a typical pond cut we would ripp two directions the last being the same direction as the scrapers will load, then sweep the cut with the dozer in 2nd gear to firm it up and help grind up the chunks. We can usually get 3 ft. out that way then repeat the process. If it's to hard for 3 then we go to two shanks and split the mark, it takes 1/3 longer that way. We have never had to go to one shank in our material to make dirt for scrapers.

bigcatpip

here is are D9 and my 345ME hey popcorn do you have any pic of D9 ripping?
347701892_MCBSw-M.jpg

347701923_NZD5q-M.jpg

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
i operate an 11r with a double shank setup, and for the material i push it works perfectly, after using a double for a while going back to a single seems like it takes forever to get an area ripped, getting the right setup for the aplication is the key.

LDK

I've worked in quite a few country's, the States included but not on the west coast so I think it has more to do with material types and application. I allways ask for a tripple, don't allways get it but it's what I prefer.

bigcatpip

thanks popcorn:notworthy what do you think the dude that runs that spends alot of time with only one in dont you think?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
thanks popcorn:notworthy what do you think the dude that runs that spends alot of time with only one in dont you think?

Yeah, it does seem like any time Pushdirt gets into any really serious rock he drops the one shank and slides the other one in the middle. I know he's requested they get a SS ripper for it many times, but to no avail.

Nice shots by the way. Are you running the hoe or was it the start of second shift?:usa

bigcatpip

that me in the hoe, my old man was in town and want to check out what I do.

Deas Plant

Single or multi-shank rippers

Hi, Bigcatpip.
This question depends VERY much on the most common types of materials being worked with the dozer in question. For heavy duty ripping and mostly hard rock work or for DEEP ripping in whatever situation, a single-shank ripper would be the most logical choice.

How-wevver, if you have mostly softer materials and/or you need some versatility for a variety of applications, the multi-shank arrangement is the way to go.

Just my 0.02.

OilFieldHand

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
We hardly ever single out our dozers. Out of 200 jobs Id say we single out once or twice. In 2 years of working for this company I singled out once, it was on a rock face with 4 hammer hoes above me. I have never had 3 shanks on a dozer just 2. We dont single out my d10t either. If I have to stop and think about going to a single shank my boss calls in the powder company. I have only had one pit blasted also.

Usually we have about 8 dozers on a job (d8's d9's) and my d10 the only one we have. So we cross rip at the same time.

Sparffo

Occupation
Demolition contractor
Usually we have about 8 dozers on a job (d8's d9's) and my d10 the only one we have. So we cross rip at the same time.

Now we demand that you upload a picture of this! :cool:

Here in Finland the rock is soo darn hard, so not even a sss D11 would stand a chance :Banghead
everything has to be blasted with dynamite.
but in the winter dozers can be used to rip up frozen ground, but mostly contractors use ripper attachments on there excavators.