• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mulching Pics

Gixxer600

Once I finally was able to get my hands on a mulching head (and a high flow bobkitty to run it grrr) I got something done!

Something else REALLY cool happened too (at least I found it to be really cool). I had my T300 with root grapple sitting there while I was mulching and when I got to a stopping point and decided to take a break I looked at my T300 and wondered if turning the grapple the right way (to just use the bucket part) could effectively clean up the mulch. I tried a couple things and within a minute or two I was scraping the mulch right off the ground leaving just dirt (without scraping any up). It is beautimous!

This is fence line number 1 (of 4). It is 73 acres so it will take me a bit to get them all, but it is very rewarding! :-D

Attachments

• oldmill_fenceline1.jpg
    oldmill_fenceline1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 671
  • oldmill_fenceline2.jpg
    oldmill_fenceline2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 659
  • oldmill_fenceline3.jpg
    oldmill_fenceline3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 657
  • oldmill_fenceline4.jpg
    oldmill_fenceline4.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 668

Iron Horse

Just keep in mind the idea of the mulch layer is to stop soil erosion when the rain comes . Bare , disturbed dirt on a slope will end up at the bottom of the slope . It looks like it's doing a good job for you . Are you going to thin out the rest while your at it ?

Gixxer600

Didnt really think about the erosion but it was so thick you could barely walk on it. Clearing it out of the way will allow me to get in there to get the fence in.

What would you reccomend as soon as I get that fence up? Throw out some grass seed and straw?

Timark80

Hey man it looks like you got it down pat.
Make sure to utilize the good rate you have on the machine.
It took a little while but you're gettin er done!:D

MXZ

Didnt really think about the erosion but it was so thick you could barely walk on it. Clearing it out of the way will allow me to get in there to get the fence in.

What would you reccomend as soon as I get that fence up? Throw out some grass seed and straw?

I think you'd be throwing away time and money to seed that. That's likely going to be 100% shade in there and grass won't cover anyway. I'd just clear a swath wide enough that you could run through every year with a compact tractor and a 4-5' rotary cutter to keep it maintained on each side of the fence.

Gixxer600

Yea, it's a lot of work for sure! And this is only one of the SHORT sides! :)

as for grass you may be right. There is no reason I "need" grass, I just wanted to prevent erosion and keep a dexent fence line. I guess we will see how it works out. If erosion isn't bad I will just let it be what it will be.

MXZ

I think a thin layer of your debris will handle the erosion issue unless you get some hellacious rainfalls.

bubbagoat

Occupation
Engineer
I think you will be in there often to repair the fenceline from all the trees that will be blown down in a storm.

I too am from Georgia, and am cleaning up some land my daughter just bought. It grows back fast here, and rains like crazy lately!

Iron Horse

I am not familiar with your soil types or weather extremes , Wyn Casia is a legume which grows well in sandy soil , it has a good root system , cattle will eat it , only grows a few inches tall and lays flat when water runs over it so creates a mat for the water to run on which stops erosion . I would ask at your local seed and grain supply store what they think about it .

As for the layer of mulch you have , is it so thick that the posts can't be rammed or augered into the soil ?

Gixxer600

layer of debris - Don't particularly want to spread all that stuff back out. : )

Fence repair - yea, i figure with the space I am leaving hopefully it will be less prone to damage. We will see! (And yea, the rain is just too much lately ... it's almost pissing me off! : )

Haven't heard of that grass before, I am not sure if it grows here. I will talk to a local grass co and see what they have to say. The mulch was pretty thick and I really wanted to get it out of there. I guess I could try to leave most of it in place on the rest of the fence and just shovel/kick it out of the way when working on the fence ... but I like the nice clean look. ;-)

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
That Bodcat head is made by Fecon! Bobcat is ripping people off the replacement teeth.. 130.00 per tooth. If the property has contrete or any mental, a stike can be quite costly.. I just ordered a set for my Loftness G2 and the cost was 72.00 per tooth.. TW

Gixxer600

I actually rented a loftness from a guy .... I haven't replaced any teeth but I did call to check on the price of them.

I am now trying to figure out how to finagle getting high flow or trading someone for a high flow machine and then I will buy a mulching head, they are great.

Timark80

That Bodcat head is made by Fecon! Bobcat is ripping people off the replacement teeth.. 130.00 per tooth. If the property has contrete or any mental, a stike can be quite costly.. I just ordered a set for my Loftness G2 and the cost was 72.00 per tooth.. TW

Bobcat carbide teeth here go for $97 , including the allen bolt.

Dr. W

Occupation
Pilot for major airline
I did a demo with a T320 and the Bobcat head and had no interest in the package! The teeth replacement cost was the last nail!

I demoed the Tushogg on my new CAT 289 and hooked up both Tushogg heads direct. No quick release fitting. The Tushogg is with no doubt the best head available.They have the new one running at 1400 RPMS and the head is a big heavy head(2800lbs). Its gets it done and there are to different teech available. Replacement cost is about a 100.00 a tooth. The dealer reduced the demo head down to $29,000. Just to much money!

I bought a Loftness G2 used head for $13,500 with about 150hrs.on it!
It run wells on the CAT 289 and the G2 is not as heavy(2300lbs) as the Tushogg. We are going to install bigger fittings to allow more flow very soon, this gives you a bit more..
The CAT 289 handled the Tushogg weight fine and we still had vertical control even when we bogged down the head..The Bobcat T320 loss vertical control(dropping) during a head bog down and ended with the engine stalling out! One has to be careful raising these heads up high with the weight. If you run into a soft spot and you could roll the machine!
TW