• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mounting a pulverizer

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
B5B225E7-2AA0-4769-95AE-425C5574D8E7.jpeg 5C04AA3C-7480-4864-9D81-34B85C682FCE.jpeg So I have a Bodine pulverizer for 200 size machine. I am mounting it on a Volvo 210. Can I use my thumb mount with a longer stiff leg instead of using the short weld on mount that comes with the pulverizer? I do not want to weld the extra mount on. I would prefer to use my thumb cylinder mount. That mount is about 5 feet from the main pin does anyone foresee any problems doing it that way?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Your pulverizer is going to be working at bucket relief and not thumb relief. Does your stick have a reinforcement plate under the thumb cylinder bracket? I've seen plenty of thumb cylinder mount brackets with cracks that have run over the side of the stick at the front and back points of the bracket.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Hey John, it is reinforced. My thumb cylinder relief is set a little to high so the bucket can't push it in. I know that's not the correct way to have it but it has been like that for 3,000 hrs. I like it the way it is for demo and concrete work. So my thought was it would sort of be the same as it is with the thumb. The difference would be the Bodine mount is a lot closer to the bucket pin. This is not an attachment that is going to get tones of use. more like a little here and there.

Thanks for the reply I know you have a lot of excavator knowledge.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
With that information I think you will have a lot more use for the cruncher using the thumb cylinder. What kind of material are you going to work with?

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I thought about leaving the thumb cylinder in place. I am a little concerned about bending it. It would be nice to use that way. I haven't wrecked it yet right? lol
The concrete is old, mostly 50+ years. from building demo that I have done in the past. Not a lot of rebar. most chunks don't have any in it. Old basement walls and footings. Some concrete culverts. Pretty weak for the most part.

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
A lot depends on how the pulveriser is built. Some require a lot less pressure to do the job than others.