• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

More Power Possible?

Tommjr

I Have a 98' IH 4900 w/ DT466E Motor (200 H.P.)

How do I get more power out of it? I tried asking the dealer about this and all I got was a "shoulder shrug".

Do I need a bigger turbo, bigger injectors?

I've read somewhere that the DT466E Engine is one of the most used engines when it comes to modification? If that's case, how come the dealer cannot help me!

Where are all the "Tuners and Chips" For these style of motors?:confused:

Thanks for the help!

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
What transmission do you have ?

That will be you main limited if you have only so much input rating on the transmission then your SOL.

A 466E should be good for 250hp and with it being electronic controls you may beable to adjust the computer but you may have to change the injectors from a 530E which is the 466s bigger brother.

Last question is this your truck if so then you can change the power rating if its not your truck I wouldn't be fiddling with it.

Jeff D.

Tommjr said:

I don't know how the DT466's power is changed,but on other electronic engines I've had it was changed by reprogramming the computer.This was done at the engine manufacturers repair facilities.(Interstate Detriot,etc.)

International wasn't any help huh??I'd maybe check with another International dealer and see if they're more helpful.

Good Luck!!

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Tommjr said:
I tried asking the dealer about this and all I got was a "shoulder shrug".
Was that sales or shop staff?
An International dealer can reprogram the engine computer for you. I have no idea what they will charge though. Some of the bigger independent shops have the programmers and can get a new power profile from Int. If your Int. dealer can't or won't be bothered, you might try one of Int.'s corporate lease return dealers. Lot's of van bodies coming in to be converted and often they can/will (as a factory store) reprogram the engine as part the deal.
As far as chips - There may be one, but I haven't seen any. Didn't one of our members have a "low buck diesel performance" page?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the 466 is the same engine used in some of the IH farm tractors, and the pullers modify them to get all kinds of torque. I'll look in to this further for you.

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:
As far as chips - There may be one, but I haven't seen any. Didn't one of our members have a "low buck diesel performance" page?

Nevrenufhp has a link to his site,on his signiture.I wasn't able to copy/post it though.

It did mention some chips for the DT466E for 30-35% gains.

Sageair

Tommjr said:
I Have a 98' IH 4900 w/ DT466E Motor (200 H.P.)

How do I get more power out of it? I tried asking the dealer about this and all I got was a "shoulder shrug".

Do I need a bigger turbo, bigger injectors?

I've read somewhere that the DT466E Engine is one of the most used engines when it comes to modification? If that's case, how come the dealer cannot help me!

Thanks for the help!
http://www.tsperformanceproducts.com/new_product.asp# Hope that helps!

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
some place around here i thought there was a link to a site that tells you how to turn up the pump on pretty much any diesel, going to have to go find it now....

nevrenufhp

Ya, that was my site:
http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm

There's 2 performance modules you can use(TS perf. and the Balck Cloud one), but if you're looking in to the 400+hp range, you should call Hypermax. They make most of the pulling 466's.:cool:

I'll second the motion to go to another IH shop. They are noted for having the best dealership network in the US. You should be able to re-rate to 250hp with just a computer reflash.

For a little entertainment, try this little video of my work truck. The better part is at the end so you can see some better rpm than most 466's ever see.
http://video.thedieselgarage.com/video/cc17f263-7a78-4b73-ba29-37404339f909.htm

Tommjr

Thanks For all the help!

One question though, When I modify the computer, will it be a problem for the other components?

I have a 5 speed staight Eaton Transmission. (no 2 speed).:(

Jeff D.

Tommjr said:
When I modify the computer, will it be a problem for the other components?

I have a 5 speed staight Eaton Transmission.

Tommjr,
Your Eaton transmission model # can tell you what the nominal torque rating is for that transmission.Find out what that rating is,and before they reflash your computer,make sure the new torque rating for your engine isn't greater than than your trannies rating.

Normally Eaton model #'s will be something like "RTO-16913".The first one or two #'s are the nominal torque rating x100.For my example the "16" would mean the tranny is rated for 1600 ftlbs torque.The "9" is the series #,and the "13" is the # of gears.

Your tranny might look something like "RT-775".It then would be rated for 700 ftlbs torque,nominal.Is a 7th series tranny,and a 5 speed.

The series # denotes the gears,and gear spread figures for that tranny.I can't remember what the letters mean.I think an "O" is for overdrive.

Atleast it's like that for the bigger trannies.The rest of your driveline shouldn't have any issues with a change.

Good luck!!:thumbsup

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The DT466E is a pretty torquey engine I forget the torque rating but I think its 210hp/650ftlbs. The truck should have a 6spd or 7spd it will make a big difference in power with the 5spd the rpms must go up and down like a yoyo.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Jeff D. said:
Tommjr,
Your Eaton transmission model # can tell you what the nominal torque rating is for that transmission.Find out what that rating is,and before they reflash your computer,make sure the new torque rating for your engine isn't greater than than your trannies rating.
Jeff is right about how to read the numbers. I'm guessing that your 5 speed will start with FS for Fuller Syncro. Here's the roadranger site if you want to look up any of the specs
Jeff D. said:
The series # denotes the gears,and gear spread figures for that tranny.I can't remember what the letters mean.I think an "O" is for overdrive.
Jeff your RTO = Roadranger Twin countershaft Overdrive. Don't let the "Jeff's right" comment go to your head though.:bouncegri

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
From the spec's the 5spd will handle the max power the 466 will put out I don't think your going to get more than 860ftlbs out if it.

Oh well input shafts are easy to change if you snap one :bouncegri

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Orchard is right I guess I miss read last night anyhow if the max torque input on the 5spd is 660 ftlbs your not going to beable to upgrade the power. You upgrade the power you will exceed the transmissions capacity. If you have a person driving the truck that isn't good with the clutch and ends up doing bunny hops you might twist the splines off the input shaft.

Usually you don't see straight 5spds in medium duty applications unless the truck is light gvw. Usually 5spds are in School Bus applications where your not packing a heavy load. The 5spds are used with 2spd rear axles.

Tommjr

I'm checking out specs on tranny today. I'll post back soon!

Thanks again for all the help!:notworthy

Granny

Occupation
office manager at a machine shop
We have a 1994 International 4900 that nobody wants to drive because it has no power. It wont hardly pull even without a load?
It only has 240K miles on it, and it has really been low on maintenance (compared to our 1998 Internation 4700/spicer transmission)

My question is what is the possibilty of reflashing this 1994 truck so we could get a little more pull? Is it too old?I dont even know what kind or transmission it has. But I would love to get a little more pull so the guys would want to drive it.