• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mock up Cat M-Series cab

9420pullpan

on my way across the US when i was in peoria i sat in this mock up cab and oh my i can not wait to run on of these new graders. it is absolutely i spend some time moving the controls in the postions of normal operating conditions and it may take a few days to get the hang of it but im fully confident that i could pick it up and be better on a grader with standard controls......here are some pics of the cab in the Cat world headquarters building

Cat Peoria (29).JPG

Cat Peoria (30).JPG

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I'm surprised they let you take pictures in that building. :D

It's a nice cab, though, eh? Thanks for the pictures.

Grader4me

Lucky guy! So how do you think the controls are going to be when grading a rough (rocky) road? How about the steering...think it will be hard to get used to? On the blade lift for example...just one setting, or is it the further you move the stick the faster the blade comes up, or just the higher the RPM the faster it works. Curious little fella eh?

9420pullpan

Grader4me said:
Lucky guy! So how do you think the controls are going to be when grading a rough (rocky) road? How about the steering...think it will be hard to get used to? On the blade lift for example...just one setting, or is it the further you move the stick the faster the blade comes up, or just the higher the RPM the faster it works. Curious little fella eh?

i think that the older guys will not pick up on it as quick as us younger guys, i love it everything about it, the steering is nice too in this mock up the steering is done with ur left hand rt to left but the control does not go back to the center position it stays where u leave it which is nice. i quess the best way to explain it its set up like a hoe when u are comfortable in the machine and in rock u still have control. im out here in CA running a 140H grading a parking lot in a small strip mall its very tight and i really with i had a new M-series. cat really did their research, it just like when JD came out with an articulated machine it takes time to adjust. i love the fly by wire controls they are faster less fatigue less movement in ur hands. every valve is variable it is just like the newer series 2 dozers and T-series. ok heres the technical definition these switches are called Potentiometers they are completely variable and that signal goes to the solenid which meters the oil to the actuator>>>

Last edited:

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
cab

Is there a lot of room in the cab? it looks a little tight for space. Just curious, I stand 6'3" and find some machines a little cramped. is there room for a lunchbox and jacket? maybe some other tools and such?

9420pullpan

plowking740 said:
Is there a lot of room in the cab? it looks a little tight for space. Just curious, I stand 6'3" and find some machines a little cramped. is there room for a lunchbox and jacket? maybe some other tools and such?

ya know i was soo excited to just sit in it i didnt take notice of a lunch box etc. im 6 ft it was comfortable for me..

activeorpassive

Occupation
Electrical/Electronics Instructor for Big Yellow (
every valve is variable it is just like the newer series 2 dozers and T-series. ok heres the technical definition these switches are called Potentiometers they are completely variable and that signal goes to the solenid which meters the oil to the actuator>>>

Every valve is not variable, as there are some implement controls that are ON/OFF. There are no potentiometers whatsoever on the joystick controls. The variable analog signals in the joystick are created using hall effect signals. As a magnet gets closer to an applied current field in the sensor, a greater voltage drop is created. This voltage drop is then electronically converted to a digital signal and sent to the respective controller. If the valve is variable, then the current is sent to the solenoid as a Pulse-Width Modulated signal (PWM). The greater the percentage of ON time of the signal, the farther the travel of the valve spool.

There are some on/off signals from the joystick to the controller. These are on/off signals for throttle resume/decelerate, upshift/downshift, diff lock, and forward-neutral-reverse. Even though these are on/off signals, there is still some tricky logic in regards to the Controllers. The controller will always look for a difference in two states. This requires three wire switches instead of the standard two wire configuration.

These things are a blast...