• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini's can fly

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Here's a thread I posted back in 04.

The crane has gone away, so we don't have that capability any more. We don't have an excavator big enough to handle the job either, so now we just make sure everything's done inside before we let the masons build the foundation.

That's a pretty good sized hole you got there. What was the mini doing at the bottom of it?

coorecat

When I was grading out the bottom for final grade I had to dig a 4'x4'x3' deep hole for a sump pump pit and the 480 Kobelco couldn't move around in that bottom once I started to ramp out,I also used it to grade out for a mud mat before I poured the slab on grade.Now that I can post pics I'll try and find some good ones to put up.

Last edited:

coorecat

SJ83, It is now the largest lift-station in that county as far as mgpd and depth. At the top of the slope it's 120'x90' the first part was dug on a 2 1/2 to
1 slope and the bottom was on 1 to 1 slope. I think the final cut on this one was 42 feet it took me 8 days to complete using my SK480 Kobelco.
I'll try and get some better pics of the actual structure uploaded for you to take a look at.

coorecat

Stumpjumper here's some more pics. There's one of me supervising what turned out to be the best guy I've ever hired, I have him running a crew for me now.

sj Iron worker.JPGsj crane.JPGsj hoes.JPGsj dozer.JPGme.JPG

coorecat

Thanks gpap this was my first job as a superintendent. A 49 feet deep pump station and around 5 miles of 24" inch and 15 miles of 18" ductile iron pipe. I'm the guy in the white hardhat.

bigshow

Not tryin to be a story topper or anything, but there is a pic of a 385 that grew wings at the world trade center project.

coorecat

It would appear that safety regulations are not as strict in your part of the world.
Where is safety regulations being broke at? 1 Nothing wrong with the mini being lifted out of the hole this way.2 The excavation was designed and stamped by a professional engineer.3 slopes are 2 1/2 to 1 and at the bottom 12 feet are on a 1 to 1 slope. No offense but I excavate for lift stations daily and this one is not considered deep in my line of work,OSHA visited me on this project and the only thing I got wrote up for were a couple of drop cords.Tell me whats wrong in these pictures.

bigshow

There is nothing wrong with those pictures, IMO, it's not like there was a guy in the mini working it. There is a gentleman on this forum, cat 328 dlcr, or something to that effect, that has lots and lots of pics of the WTC site with a large Mani pickin some BIG iron. I don't know this man, so I dont want to take any credit for his work or anyone to think that I am,so I will let you find him. He has some very impressive video and pics. When I say big, I'm talkin about 345's, 385's and I believe a PC 1250 among many many other pieces, not that this pieces are huge by any means, but to see them hangin of an 8 part is impressive to say the least.

DirtHauler

Occupation
Heavy Highway Dirt Hauler
There is nothing wrong with those pictures, IMO, it's not like there was a guy in the mini working it. There is a gentleman on this forum, cat 328 dlcr, or something to that effect, that has lots and lots of pics of the WTC site with a large Mani pickin some BIG iron. I don't know this man, so I dont want to take any credit for his work or anyone to think that I am,so I will let you find him. He has some very impressive video and pics. When I say big, I'm talkin about 345's, 385's and I believe a PC 1250 among many many other pieces, not that this pieces are huge by any means, but to see them hangin of an 8 part is impressive to say the least.

username is cat 325ccr https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/member.php?4621-cat-325ccr