• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini with extendahoe???

MSC

In the spring, I'm going to get a new mini excavator.
Maybe I am losing my mind, but I think I read somewhere that an extendahoe was available as an option.
I don't remember which manufacturer it was.
Can you guys help me out on this, or was I dreaming?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

xkvator

Rich
just my opinion...but if you need the extra depth/reach, get a little bigger machine. the extendahoe option adds some weight that causes the machine to tip easier over the side.
I demo'd the 331...334...331E - same machines with different dipper - and bought the 331. there just isn't enough digging power with the longer dipper on that machine...IMO.
besides bobcat, i've seen a takeuchi with an e-hoe, but i don't think they offer it anymore.
depending on what your digging, an e-hoe might work for you - i know a plumber that had one and the 2' extra reach helped him around buildings.
best thing to do is demo them when you're ready to buy.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
One thing to remember, you won't be able to fit a hydraulic thumb on a machine with the extendable stick.

xkvator

CascadeScaper said:
One thing to remember, you won't be able to fit a hydraulic thumb on a machine with the extendable stick.
...and the hyd. thumb is a MUST HAVE

MSC

The hyd thumb isn't a necessity for me.
I have a mechanical thumb on my PC-40 and think if you have the right bucket on the machine, with long enough shanks, you can handle a pretty big stump or rock without even using the thumb.

If I fold down the thumb on it once a week that's a lot.

I would rather have the extendahoe or an extra long stick to load stuff into a 10 wheeler or dump trailer.

Rich

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
I have both the extended stick and hydraulic thumbs on both of my minis. To take away my thumbs would be an invitation for a fight. :guns

Electra_Glide

BobcatS250 said:
Bobcat makes the 331E with an extendable stick.
http://www.bobcat.com/products/item.view.html?itemId=5189

There may be aftermarket parts out there as well...
The local Bobcat sales rep told me they would be offering the extendahoe on the 430 as well. I think the 430 is a little more "tippy" than the 331, and based on what Xkvator said about the extendahoe, I don't know how well it would work out.

Of course, you can't always trust everything the sales guy tells you...

Joe

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Komatsu website says that the pc40-50 has the option of standard or long stick and exdenable stick option coming soon

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Electra_Glide said:
The local Bobcat sales rep told me they would be offering the extendahoe on the 430 as well. I think the 430 is a little more "tippy" than the 331, and based on what Xkvator said about the extendahoe, I don't know how well it would work out.

Of course, you can't always trust everything the sales guy tells you...

Joe

Interesting! Wonder if that one will be a seller.

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Yeah I was talking with my sales guy today too and he also mentioned the 430 having an extended arm option now. Somehow the breakout was more with the extension though. Thinking of upgrading our 328 to a 430 to match the '03 430 we have now. Only problem is you can't get a thumb with the extended stick and you know how I feel about my thumbs! :)

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I used a 430 the other day on an excavating job and really liked it. It is about the same as a 331 only a zero tailswing. The tracks are further apart so it should be less tippy than the 331. It has been so long since I operated a 331 I couldn't tell you what difference there was. It was just a lot more tippy than my backhoe I am used to.

atgreene

I've got a Takeuchi 135. I load my truck (Topkick) all the time and dig out of the body, no problem. Large stumps (6' + root ball) sometimes are a problem, unless you drop the tailgate. Most manufacturers offer extended booms as an option at purchase time. I think for mine it would have given me 1' or so, but greatly reduced my lift. As far as a thumb, it's only 1/2 a machine without it IMO. For what I do, I use the thumb non-stop. I understand folks who don't have one, but most that have tried a good hydraulic one, will never work without one.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Around here, every excavator from 2 tons all the way up to 30 tons have thumbs, you're limiting yourself severely without one.

MultiFunction

badranman said:
I have both the extended stick and hydraulic thumbs on both of my minis. To take away my thumbs would be an invitation for a fight. :guns

U mean u have and extendahoe with a hydraulic thumb?

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
I meant the extra long arm with hydraulic thumb. This option adds 12 inches to the standard arm.

Thumbs

Ok.... I am sold on getting a thumb after reading this thread. I have a PC35R-8 .... Any favorites out there as far as manufacturers and models of hydraulic thumbs. I currently have a C&P Quick Hitch (Wain Roy) on my machine, so don't know if a pin on type would work.... Pin on.... weld on... whats the way to go? What about Progressive link type...

Thanks, Lance

Last edited: