• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini Excavators

Auspave

Hi Guys

I have never owned a mini excavator before and was hoping for some advice on what brand of machine to buy
Im a paver and will be using it mostly for removing grass and soil also thinking of purchasing a hammer as i will be removing concrete at times
The machines I have looked at are
Kubota U17
Yanmar VIO17
CAT 301.7DC
WACKER NEUSON EZ17
BOBCAT E20
I have found the new bobcat E20 to be the most comfortable

Anthonycecil

you`d better go with the best dealer, as pretty much everything is well designed..In my case the dealer has ruined the ownership experience…Tony

rossaroni

I own a 301.5, and the CAT's been reliable. Buy with dealer support in mind, as something seems to break only when the job HAS to be done.
For consideration: If you will be loading out any materials with the mini, make sure that it will clear the side of your truck. Mine barely clears the side of the bed on my L9000, and thats with the greedy boards off.

maddog

I agree with finding a reputable dealer if that is the route you're going. If going used then just make sure you know what to look for. Also you can always go with a bit bigger machine then what you think you need, and it will do smaller jobs, but if you go with to small a machine it won't accomplish the bigger job.

diga

Hi Auspave

I am in Brisbane,Aust what about yourself ?
Mate I have had a new Takeuchi and a new Hitachi in the last 8 years, had problems with both and not a lot of support from either, I have just got a new Bobcat E35 and easily out-digs the other machines by a huge margin,the Bobcat's are substantially cheaper as well !

I would steer clear of the Wacker Neusons,you will find Cat very expensive here in OZ, Kubota,Yanmar or Bobcat would be my choices.

KSSS

There is nothing wrong with that Wacker Neuson excavator. Actually it is one of the best in the world in that weight class. Who do you think builds CATs mini ex in that weight class?.....................Wait for it.................Wait for it.............Wacker Neuson.

Canuck Digger

Are you looking for something with retractable UC to get into super tight spaces? If not, I would consider moving up a weight class or two. We do a fair bit of mini excavation and I've run minies from 1.6T to 6T pretty steady. The lift capacity, dump height, reach and bucket size is a sure challenge with that size machine. Pretty much impossible to load anything but a dump trailer or a p/u truck with that size machine.... Just a thought.

I used a k008 kubota in a school demo job and it ran a hammer great. Could squeeze though doorways and was able to pick up slabs of concrete that we're pretty good size

apetad

There is nothing wrong with that Wacker Neuson excavator. Actually it is one of the best in the world in that weight class. Who do you think builds CATs mini ex in that weight class?.....................Wait for it.................Wait for it.............Wacker Neuson.

Parts are astronomical to say the least. Typical packing kit $600 and individual O-rings are NOT available individually. They will admit that they give the machines away and make their profit the first time you buy a part.

KSSS

All parts are astronomical. You can be assured that their business strategy is not to sell the machines cheap and make their money on the parts. I priced new front window latches for my Takeuchi $250 a piece X2.

Auspave

Hi Diga
Thanx for the advice, Im in Sydney
I had a look at the Yanmar, Kubota and the bobcat
I have purchased the bobcat e20 and cant wait to use it, I found it the best out of the others
I now need to purchase a PLant trailer so that i can tow it
I was thinking of purchasing a second hand one, any advice you can give me on the trailer?
I also noticed theres alot of used ones in qld

Auspave

Are you looking for something with retractable UC to get into super tight spaces? If not, I would consider moving up a weight class or two. We do a fair bit of mini excavation and I've run minies from 1.6T to 6T pretty steady. The lift capacity, dump height, reach and bucket size is a sure challenge with that size machine. Pretty much impossible to load anything but a dump trailer or a p/u truck with that size machine.... Just a thought.

I did need an excavator that retracts because of the type of work i do
I will be only loading my dump truck which isnt too high
I also want to purchase a skid steer s150 so that if i do larger jobs i can use both