• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini-Excavator rubber track question

szone91

Hello all,

just a quick question about mini-excavator and rubber track replacement. Do you guys usually replace it by yourself or let dealer take care of it? also what is the price range of rubber track from dealer?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Billdog350

I have recently replaced the drive motor on a 301.8 which is similar to your 302.7 machine and I would strongly suggest doing the tracks yourself if you want to save a few bucks. Lift machine up with the boom and blade so the tracks are off the ground. Remove the grease fitting from the track adjuster (I think its a 21 or 24 mm nut) and step on the track to pump the grease out and retract the track. You may or may not have to remove a cover with a few 13mm or 1/2" hex bolts to get to that fitting. Then you just use a big crowbar and peel the track off and use the drive motor to put the new one on.

Richardjw~

How do you determine when a rubber track is beyond its useful life?....OK it keeps coming off, the treads are worn out or its stretched to the end of the idler adjustment, but is there anything else in terms of cracks or places where they might snap?

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
Definitely easy to change yourself(might need a helper) as stated loosen ( do not remove)track adjuster fitting abit not the actual grease fitting then push idler back all the way with machine off the ground work old track off and new track on retighten track adjuster fitting add grease until u get it 3/4 of the way to tight then run the travel motor abit b4 bringing track to proper tension. Very easy to put to much grease in initially and end up way to tight. If u get it to tight simply loosen the track adjuster fitting abit and then retention.Also be very careful when loosening the lArge track adjuster fitting the grease is under pressure and can jet out.

squidrig

Occupation
cranberry grower
Richard if u can't keep the track on and it's not because of wear on the rest of the undercarriage or bad seals in the track adjuster then it's junk. In general it Doesn't matter if the tracks tread is worn or there are cracks and tears in it if it stays on and still goes roundy round

Richardjw~

Richard if u can't keep the track on and it's not because of wear on the rest of the undercarriage or bad seals in the track adjuster then it's junk. In general it Doesn't matter if the tracks tread is worn or there are cracks and tears in it if it stays on and still goes roundy round

OK, the highlighted bit is key. The ones I have stay on a treat and have no issues but there's a few cuts here and there and got me thinking what other failure types there could be. They are apparently the original Volvo ones with 2300hrs, don't know if thats good or bad.