• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mini and Skidsteer Combo

Schwartz04

What Kinda work do all of yall do with your mini and skidsteer combo? I am new to the business and have found that they compliment each other very well. Just wondering what everyone else out there is doing with theres and what size works best for them.

T_S_S

Occupation
Owner , Total Site Solutions
I was doing foundation repair when i started with a bobcat 334 min ex and a s185. But i got out of that side of the business. Those two machines complemented each other very well but i would of rather had a t190 to keep me working when it was wet.

Schwartz04

Yea I am thinking of going with tracks myself I rent my equipment right now but I have borrowed a buddy of mines bobcat 331 mini and he doesnt use and wants to sell it to me pretty cheap might do it is a good machine

T_S_S

Occupation
Owner , Total Site Solutions
what type of skidsteer do you have? What type of work do you do? and how is bussiness for you, slowing down?

Schwartz04

I have a 763G I have been doing jobs for plumbers mostly and the occasional automatic waters job around here I had picked up pretty good during this drought for farmers running automatic water tanks but it has slowed down right now hope to get back after it before winter thats the reason I want a mini ex dont get me wrong I like my backhoe attachment but I like the ease of mini.

jhill

I have a Kubota KX-41 mini X and a Deere 5575 skid steer. I do anything you can think of with them, landscaping, concrete removal, brush removal, septic work, dig footings and crawl spaces etc.

Jerry

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I use a Takeuchi TB153 (12.5K machine) and have a CASE 465 and 440. They all work great together. Even tagging the 465 along with my 160 works well with the 84" bucket on the 465.

Schwartz04

ive never really dabbled in the larger equipment but yea I usually stay pretty busy with my smaller equipment. Even though I wish i was even busier you know

bonanno23

Occupation
union drainage foreman, also own a full time lands
have a few machines, but I have a TL150 and a cat 305 on one trailer behind a tri-axle roll-off truck. Best combo out there. imo

coopers

It all depends on your market. I can justify using only a 120 and 160 size machine or go to mini excavators. It just depends on what you want to do and how you can market to stay busy. All three sizes I listed stay busy here in WA. I personally like the Kubota 121 size for mini's.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
what about for landscaping& light excavating what would u use

I like the 6 ton mini ex size. What I like is having the depth to excavate sewer and water with no problem, set large rock retaining walls, load trucks easier and overall increased ground level reach. This size machine just fits very well with me. However, depending on what light excavation means to you perhaps you can go down to a 4 ton machine. Having zero tail and zero swing is great if you do a lot of tight work, which is the name of the game in light excavation.

As far as skid steer size, personally I see little reason to own anything smaller than a 2200 ROC machine. My personal favorite is the 440. I can spec. it down to 66" in width, flip the tires around if I want 72". At 66" that gets me anywhere I need to be. If I need to go smaller I can rent. Since stepping up from a 60" machine (1840) I have never had to rent a smaller skid steer (I have rented smaller excavators). With the 2000-2200 ROC class machine you get big hp (up to 90 in the 440 series 3), a healthy roc rating, and a higher performing machine in a package not diminsionally larger than machines of less ROC and hp. Hard to not like that combination.

It is best to determine what your projects are likely to entail and then find machines to accomplish it.

coopers

That looks like more of pain than anything. The nice thing about have an excavator and skidsteers is they can be separated. The excavator can do much more than a small backhoe like the JCB pictured. Just my opinion.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Hi all.

Has anyone looking for a machine that will do a similar job to a mini excavator and a skidsteer machine used a JCB 1CX?
See http://www.connectingways.com/bdimages/maquifolder/151/Imagen1_cx_003.jpg

Regards Dave (getting my count up too)

There's a directional drilling company up my way that has an even smaller backhoe then that JCB. They are using it around houses when they run feeder lines from the main trunk on a gas line they are putting through my town.

Palmer78

Does Bobcat make a good Excavator?

This is my first post and I don't think I can create my own thread so I'm going to try replying to this one. I'm trying to start my own small excavating business right now even though this is a bad time to try this. My thought is that it is a good time to buy equipment though and should be able to find a good deal. I'm looking for something in the 7,500 to 9,000 lb class and have found a couple bobcat 331's. Most of the japanese excavators seem to have a good reputation, but what is everyones thoughts on a bobcat 331. One that i have found has 1200 hours on it and is being sold for $22,000 from a rental company. The other has about 2500 hours and is being sold at an auction. I haven't looked at either of them yet, but will go to the auction tomorrow to look at that one. Does anyone have any thoughts on this excavator. Are they reliable and durable? Sorry for the long winded post, but any thought would be much appreciated.

upnover

Occupation
Consultant
I cant comment on the Bobcat. However someone posted a link or something or a chart of a comparison of several brands of excavators on this forum. I have not been able to find it since I saw it a few months ago. It was great for comparing the specs in one location. Perhaps someone will read this and repost for you. It may help in your decision.

Good Luck

bobcatrg

Occupation
Full Time Firefighter & Excavation Business
Palmer78, I am on my second kubota mini ex and have had great luck. Started in 1998. Right now on www.IronPlanet.com I have seen several mini excavators go for dirt cheap in the last three weeks, several brands. You may have some shipping cost but it would be well worth it. I would probably base my purchase on whatever dealership is closest to your home and their reputation. I bought my first mini from a rental outfit and second from a kubota dealership trade in. No Problems. In fact I would probably consider selling my 2000 KX-121 W/1500 hours. PM me if your serious. Good Luck