• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Milwaukee 3/4 18v Impact Gun

nickbowers

Hi All,
I currently have one of these
http://www.makita.com.au/products/p...nches/tw1000-254mm-square-drive-impact-wrench
That works extremely well, except it is so heavy. You cant use it for long before your arms hurt.

So I found one of these
http://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/power-tools/cordless/m18/show/m18chiwf34-0
which on paper is better than the Makita and a 1/4 of the weight and cordless.

Which is what makes wonder if it is as good as they say it is? Has anyone used one?
I need it for doing truck wheel nuts.

Cheers,
Nick

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I have the miwaukee 1/2 inch m18 fuel which is basically the same as that 3/4 but uses the 1/2 inch shank. It is very impressive for a 1/2 inch and it will do most truck wheel nuts. The 3/4 is rated slightly higher too.
these impacts are real good on a full down to 1/4 charge and then you will want to change out the battery. If you start using cordless you'll be hooked and won't go to an air wrench.

nickbowers

I have the miwaukee 1/2 inch m18 fuel which is basically the same as that 3/4 but uses the 1/2 inch shank. It is very impressive for a 1/2 inch and it will do most truck wheel nuts. The 3/4 is rated slightly higher too.
these impacts are real good on a full down to 1/4 charge and then you will want to change out the battery. If you start using cordless you'll be hooked and won't go to an air wrench.

Hi Mate,
Is it often you get truck wheel nuts that it wont undo? I havnt found any the makita cant do
Cheers

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I find my 28 volt Milwaukee cordless will remove the lug nuts about half the time. I usually just break them with a bar and spin them off. I have been told that the new 18V outperforms the older model 28V.

mitch504

I could just hit the quote button on mobiltech's post.

I bought a used M18 Fuel 1/2" impact on ebay on Christmas day. I haven't picked up an air wrench other than a 1" drive since.

With what I work on, there are Budd wheel nuts that Ingersoll Rand's best 1" drive won't turn without torch heat, but for Daytons, or hub piloted, there haven't been any it didn't get.

nickbowers

With what I work on, there are Budd wheel nuts that Ingersoll Rand's best 1" drive won't turn without torch heat, but for Daytons, or hub piloted, there haven't been any it didn't get.

Hi,
I never knew they were called Budd but thats what we have over here http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/RoadsideJerry/2010-05-10_153725_budd.png
I am yet to find one that the makita i posted above wont get off, but like i said it is so bloody heavy.

Does the Milwaukee getting most of the budd nuts off?

Cheers,
Nick

nowing75

I have had good luck with the Milwaukee 18volt. Just leave it in the cab as I found out it does not work well in sub zero weather.

FSERVICE

I have had good luck with the Milwaukee 18volt. Just leave it in the cab as I found out it does not work well in sub zero weather.

you probably don't work very well in sub zero weather either!!! LOL neither do I this week

nowing75

I try to stay in the shop this week. Had a customer call as there 730 haul truck would not start. Said I has sat severl weeks. Gave my welder a good work out but I did get it started.

nickbowers

well its taken off everything i have tried so far. It doesnt do it as easy as the big makita(even though that is lower spec) but it still does it.
Would recommend one, i will post a video soon about what it can do