• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

mill across america

Turtle

Occupation
president of Turtle Southeast, Inc.
work picture is picking up here in Fla. we have just seen in the past 3 months a glut in the ARRA road jobs going out to bid. Unlike up north Fla did not have to rush to the table with a bunch of short term mill and fill jobs to us their stimulus money before the snow came. They chose to look at bigger long term jobs that took alittle more planning to get out to bid,but will create longer terms jobs when all is said and done. We are looking for a strong 2nd quater for 2010.

Turtle

Occupation
president of Turtle Southeast, Inc.
Widening in Gainesville

I am from Indiana (sunny side of louisville) worked out of local 181 for many years operating cranes and dozers etc... the pay was per hour was great but without much overtime.
I make less per hour of course where I am now,but with overtime and being able to work pretty much year around I make alot more yearly here versus being in Indiana.I do think I may go work for mid america milling in jeffersonville once the wife retires and we move back to the farm in indiana in a few years.

On the work available note,the company I am with has alot of work since the first of the year and Alot on the schedule but the amount of rain has pushed alot of it back.
Leaving for gainesville,fl. tuesday to do some widening work for a week or so.

Just Curious, who are you guys working for in Gainesville?

Just curious, who are you guys working for in Gainesville??

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
They scratched me off the Wisconsin job thanks too the Union issues, Which is fine they have plenty of other jobs where They can use me...

Obviously, I'll spare my opinions due to the HEF rules regarding that issue. :)

Hudson

Milling in the midwest

Hudson inc, a established milling company based in central Oklahoma, is now accepting applications for operators, preferably with experience. Please go to our website for more contact information. hudsonincorporated.net

milling_drum

Occupation
Hudson has a nice website and are most certainly old school. The Barber Greene is nice to see. Wish they were a northern outfit. I'd be after them in a minute. (actually I sent them an email to try to get a feel for wages...sshhhh)

Wonder what happened to that fella who started this thread? Ain't heard nothing from it since...wonder where it wound up and ifn its still milling or????

jenstarltd

Milling_Drum you forgot to say Canada for the places you've Milled / Hudson bought a second W2000 same time as I did 05 I ckecked out they're www at the time

milling_drum

Occupation
You are so right, I did not include Ontario. Hudson seemed like a good bunch of people, I spoke to them on the phone but sadly they are south of the Mason Dixon line here in America which means they're pay scale sucks...Hoping to add a few more states this year;)

millinman

I see some of you have experience working in The US and Canada. Is there a difference in wages and mobilization etc. Are there any companies that work both sides? The metric system is probably more common.

jenstarltd

I see some of you have experience working in The US and Canada. Is there a difference in wages and mobilization etc. Are there any companies that work both sides? The metric system is probably more common.

Experienced people get 25 to 35 bucks per hour here in Ontario (Miller,Roto-Mill and me) we always need operators , lots of work short season May to Dec

milling_drum

Occupation
Add California, Michigan, Ohio. Asphalt in Cali is soft like Florida, I was shocked to see that.