• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Military Workhorse

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I was out and about today when I spotted this. Now don't anybody jump in here and say "this ain't heavy equipment", or you'll quickly have former military grunts disagree with you. This little machine was the backsaver for soldiers in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and places all over the world. The ID plate said it was made by Kaiser/Jeep and was delivered in 1963. I had to take a few pics to share with you. I wasn't sure where to post it. It's not General Industry, it's not really a Truck, so I had to settle on Old Iron even though it's mostly aluminum. :)

Attachments

• 1963 Jeep 001.jpg
    1963 Jeep 001.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 996
  • 1963 Jeep 002.jpg
    1963 Jeep 002.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 997
  • 1963 Jeep 003.jpg
    1963 Jeep 003.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 989

td25c

I love equipment ,all shapes & sizes.That looks like a good restoration.I did not know they had aluminum in them.I have visited the Patton museum at Fort Knox KY.It was impressive,tanks,personel carriers,trucks,support vehicals of all ages.Alot of the tecknology in equipment came from the maufacturing of these military vehicals.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I love equipment ,all shapes & sizes.That looks like a good restoration.I did not know they had aluminum in them.I have visited the Patton museum at Fort Knox KY.It was impressive,tanks,personel carriers,trucks,support vehicals of all ages.Alot of the tecknology in equipment came from the maufacturing of these military vehicals.

Most Jeeps I've seen were steel, and I'm certainly no Jeep expert. The body on this one was mostly aluminum. I found one little crack in it and suspected aluminum. I had a pocket screwdriver in my truck with a magnet on the end and, sure enough! Maybe it's because this model was built by Kaiser, which was a big aluminum company during WWII. It was a nice little unit.

td25c

Most Jeeps I've seen were steel, and I'm certainly no Jeep expert. The body on this one was mostly aluminum. I found one little crack in it and suspected aluminum. I had a pocket screwdriver in my truck with a magnet on the end and, sure enough! Maybe it's because this model was built by Kaiser, which was a big aluminum company during WWII. It was a nice little unit.

Isn't it amazing how quick the manufacturing companys re-tooled there assembly line after the US enterd WWII.Cat,allis chalmers, international harvester,Everyone had to contribute.

surfer-joe

This type of Jeep helped win WWII. Just think of all the money we could have saved ourselves if we still built and used these, instead of Hum-V's. No extra long and over budget R&D costs, no out of sight engineering and production costs. Just a sturdy and easily manufactured vehicle that works as designed and assembled.

Just one point Atco, all this style Jeep that I've been around were all steel. Even the very old ones. It is possible that some were built by Kaiser or others with aluminum parts, someone that is more of a Jeep historian will have to point out some stats on that.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Isn't it amazing how quick the manufacturing companys re-tooled there assembly line after the US enterd WWII.Cat,allis chalmers, international harvester,Everyone had to contribute.

WWII was an amazing event in the manufacturing sector of our country. You had companies like Ford that was producing Sherman Tanks and Consolidated B-24 Bombers at their Willow Run Plant. I know Henry Kaiser was big in producing aluminum for the war and I think he was one of the consortium of business giants that was involved in ship building and the production of the Liberty Ships. For any of you guys who are not familiar with the Liberty Ship, do a google search and do a little reading. You'll be amazed how fast they punched those things out! :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
This type of Jeep helped win WWII. Just think of all the money we could have saved ourselves if we still built and used these, instead of Hum-V's. No extra long and over budget R&D costs, no out of sight engineering and production costs. Just a sturdy and easily manufactured vehicle that works as designed and assembled.

Just one point Atco, all this style Jeep that I've been around were all steel. Even the very old ones. It is possible that some were built by Kaiser or others with aluminum parts, someone that is more of a Jeep historian will have to point out some stats on that.

I agree, Joe. I don't know what the story is on this one, but my magnet sure was finding an aluminum body. :beatsme I took a pic of the ID plate but it didn't come out worth a flip :Banghead, it said it was made by Kaiser/Jeep.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
IBM was even involved in WWII production. They produced M1 Carbines at the Poughkeepsie plant near me. I knew someone who worked there and about 25 years ago during some remodeling they came across one stowed away covered with lanolin. Pretty interesting.

td25c

IBM was even involved in WWII production. They produced M1 Carbines at the Poughkeepsie plant near me. I knew someone who worked there and about 25 years ago during some remodeling they came across one stowed away covered with lanolin. Pretty interesting.

Thats interesting.I have a friend that has a M1 garand rifle made by international harvester.It has the IH logo on it.I was a difforent time.

mag6000

The CJ-3B! My favorite flatfender. Those were made 1953-1964 here in the U.S. Overseas they were(are) built under license. Mahindra of India might still be making them. When I was deployed to Okinawa in 1994 the Japanese Defense Forces were still using a bunch of 'em.

I don't think the US military used this model as the M38-A1(CJ-5 body style) came out at the same time.

cttravis

Based on the crack and your magnet test it's a fiberglass replacement body. Can't say I've ever seen a CJ-3B in military service to begin with.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator

Dad has one made by Rock-O-La, the jukebox company.:) I think that they made the fewest, but are the least valued.:confused:

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
The CJ-3B! My favorite flatfender. Those were made 1953-1964 here in the U.S. Overseas they were(are) built under license. Mahindra of India might still be making them. When I was deployed to Okinawa in 1994 the Japanese Defense Forces were still using a bunch of 'em.

I don't think the US military used this model as the M38-A1(CJ-5 body style) came out at the same time.

I was gonna say I didn't think that this was a true WWII replica with that M-60 on there because they were not around in that war. But since you know the years this model was built that sure makes that point. I have always liked those old jeeps just because of their looks. There's a guy a couple miles from my dad that has a couple of the willies that have been rebuilt.

td25c

Its a nice restoration.It doset matter if its fiberglass,aluminum,or steel.Its a replica of a US military jeep.It's amazing how a small piece of equipment done such a large job in WWII,korea,and vietnam.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Its a nice restoration.It doset matter if its fiberglass,aluminum,or steel.Its a replica of a US military jeep.It's amazing how a small piece of equipment done such a large job in WWII,korea,and vietnam.

25c, you've made the point I was only trying to make. I didn't say "this" jeep was in war or military service. I know nothing of it's lineage and the owner wasn't around to ask. I was only saying "these machines" (the Jeep, not this particular one) has been the workhorse for our soldiers through three wars as well as various types of service/work the world over. As for the aluminum, I wouldn't get hung up on it. Maybe it's a replica, maybe the original steel body panels rusted beyond repair and were replaced by aftermarket aluminum panels. I don't know, it really doesn't matter to me. All that matters is what it represents, a military workhorse. ;)

td25c

25c, you've made the point I was only trying to make. I didn't say "this" jeep was in war or military service. I know nothing of it's lineage and the owner wasn't around to ask. I was only saying "these machines" (the Jeep, not this particular one) has been the workhorse for our soldiers through three wars as well as various types of service/work the world over. As for the aluminum, I wouldn't get hung up on it. Maybe it's a replica, maybe the original steel body panels rusted beyond repair and were replaced by aftermarket aluminum panels. I don't know, it really doesn't matter to me. All that matters is what it represents, a military workhorse. ;)

Well,we have to stay focused on the subject,and not get hung up on small details.Those military jeeps were awesome!