• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

military iron

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
all you hef guys in the sea bees or core of engineers lets see some armored dozers hoes back hoes esspecially the one thats huge and can do 55 mph scrapers dumps anything really i always thought they looked the coolest also any other odd ball sold only to the military equipment for mine removal or whatever

bill onthehill

I can't help with pics because we were not allowed to take any. At BMY in York,Pa. we built all kinds of armored stuff. Most notable was a counter obstacle vehicle based on an m88 recovery vehicle(tank tow truck). It had a gradall arm on one corner and a dozer/mine plow on the front. It was used in the first gulf war along with the M9 ACE which was an aluminum bodied air transportable dozer that pushed up a pile of dirt and loaded it into the center of vehicle for ballast. When loaded it was supposed to be equivalent to a d6/d7 for building airfields in the bush. It had a hydraulic suspension that raised and lowered front to back and side to side to grade with. It was also capable of swimming in rivers and dropped in by parachute. Did a lot of strange stuff for Israeli defense forces also.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
You mean the grizzly Bill?
I mean that one was based on a M1 chassis.

This is my favourite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5lzoldDcko&feature=channel_page

Worked as the technical responsible for that vehicle for 5 years.
Joined the prototype work, series production and delivery to the Army. This one is based on a leopard 1 chassis.
There is another tread about it somewhere else here on the forum.
And some pics of its bigbrother, the AEV on Leo 2 chassis.
Ace is not very popular by its users i hear....

bill onthehill

That is similar but the COV had the gradall arm mounted on the rear corner and various quick change attachments stored on the outside of the vehicle. I was a prototype machinist for the large pieces on a lot of vehicles. The Israeli's came up with a lot of different variations for basic vehicle undercarriages. Our biggest production were M109 SPH 155's and M110 howitzers. Then came the m9ACE and now MRAP vehicles. A lot of test platforms over the years that never saw production.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Ok, i have heard about many of the prototypes for a engineer vehicle. Last i heard was it was stopped due to funding. Grizzly exists as finnished prototypes, ready for series production. Norway built their own ones shown in the movie. Sweden and Netherland has waited and has resently written a contract for a identical vehicle based on a leo 2 chassis. The one u describe sounds as a copy of the old German badger. Still in service in many armys.
The M88 is by the way upgraded and still in service in US. We got a couple museum M88's. Our heaviest tank vehicle. I believed it was a kick to drive one, untill i got my rumpsteak in one...That was so disapointing...even a V12..but nearly no power and guts..
Holy crack when i had my first round in a Leo 2, Thats a mean tank!
By the way, i thought IMI did most work for the Israelis. But i have also heard that they get stuff done by outsiders. Many smart ideas put into some of their modifications. Just look at their house entries vehicle. T-55 without tower, smal powerpack, corridor trough the engine compartement, with dooor at the back to go into houses.
Been some years since i worked with theese babies now...

Michaeljp86

Ive been talking to some recuiters about joining the seabees and army corp of engineers. Id like to get into the equipment operation or mechanic.

Wolfcsm

Hmee

The 50 mph loader/backhoe - the HMEE
attachment.php

The M88. Started out with a gas engine with magnetos. Was then outfitted with the AVDS 1790 engine - the same engine as the M60 series tank - at 750hp. Today the M88A2 has a 1050hp version of the AVDS 1790.
This is the M88A2
attachment.php

The M9 ACE
attachment.php

Armored D9 Cat
attachment.php

All the pictures are open source from GOOGLE searches.

Hal

Attachments

• 800px-M88_Track_Recovery_Vehicle.jpg
    800px-M88_Track_Recovery_Vehicle.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 4,590
  • Armored_Combat_Earth_Mover_M9_ACE_.jpg
    Armored_Combat_Earth_Mover_M9_ACE_.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4,343
  • d9_cat_1.jpg
    d9_cat_1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 8,801
  • hmee_high_mobility_engineer_excavator_eurosatory_2008_armyrecognition_001.jpg
    hmee_high_mobility_engineer_excavator_eurosatory_2008_armyrecognition_001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 4,799
Last edited:

millertime778

Occupation
Vice President- City Hill Construction Inc.
:usa

Attachments

• Høvelmgaffler.JPG
    Høvelmgaffler.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 4,739
  • høvelmgafler2.JPG
    høvelmgafler2.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 3,628

BigIron25

That D9 that you see posted in the pictures name is called Golda, it was originally stationed at Camp Fallujah Iraq and was given to us Marines as a gift from the IDF (Israel) its a beast. Ill see if I can get some pics up from when our company operated it in Iraq. the blade got hit with 80 kilos of explosive and it just rattled it. This last October it got hit by an IED during demill operations, as far as i know the machine sustained no damage. This past deployment I was on in Iraq we moved it from Camp Fallujah to 2ND Combat Engineer Battalions lot in Camp Ramadi Iraq. Shes a beast.

BigIron25

Here are some pics I took in Iraq, I have some of our armored john deere excavator nicknamed gravitron, but i cant find them at this moment. Ill see if I can find some of our armored D7Gs and John Deere 644Es. The picture inside the Cab of the D9 shows the elevated gunner chair...thats right the D9 has a roof turret for a medium sized belt fed machine gun. And thats me in the Operators chair. There are also some markings on the wall from previous operators thats say "Fallujah-0, D9-1" and of course the one written by the Israelis "To USMC, From Israel with love- Dozer name Golda" Also included (Top photos are the Marine Corps new minefield breaching system called the ABV Assault Breacher Vehicle, which also carries a payload of two MICLIC rockets with a total of 4000 lbs of C4 explosive attached to tethered lines. And at bottom a line of D8s on a Demil project in Al Anbar province. :usa

Attachments

• camera 1 077.jpg
    camera 1 077.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 4,480
  • GEDC0252.jpg
    GEDC0252.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 5,405
  • GEDC0257.jpg
    GEDC0257.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 5,275
  • DSC01327.jpg
    DSC01327.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 3,185

Frenchy

Occupation
Grader operator Snow Removal
That's nice!!! Us Army buy Champion Grader made in Canada...that's a really good thing:D

Frenchy:canada

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I'll have to dissapoint u all.
That Champion is Norwegian owned. Is still in North Afghanistan.(to costly to change it with one of our new G976)
U can see two flags besides the registration plate on top of the cabin.
Forks where only moved, front axle is not strong enough on that modell for any practical use.
Norwegian living tents in Mazar e Sharif in the background.
Millertime778 where did you find the pics?

D9 Dozer

I operated a D9 Dozer during Operation Phantom fury. I was attached to 3/1, 3/5, 1/8, 2/7. I was in 2nd CEB