• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Military Case W14H with hoe

Matt T Maine

Hi. I’m looking for an operation manual for a 1981 W14H built for the Navy with a hoe. Just purchased a machine and would like to be sure of doing the correct things. thanks. Matt

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey Matt welcome to HEF, a serial number and photo would be nice. Sometimes you can find the operators manual on Ebay. Which backhoe does it have on it?

Matt T Maine

855D96D4-F3A2-49E3-86AC-DECA73C5117D.jpeg 855D96D4-F3A2-49E3-86AC-DECA73C5117D.jpeg 855D96D4-F3A2-49E3-86AC-DECA73C5117D.jpeg 855D96D4-F3A2-49E3-86AC-DECA73C5117D.jpeg 855D96D4-F3A2-49E3-86AC-DECA73C5117D.jpeg 855D96D4-F3A2-49E3-86AC-DECA73C5117D.jpeg Thanks for the feedback.
Attached is a photo of a similar machine and the actual build plaque.
I have found an operator manual but it isn’t the military one so it doesn’t include anything about the hoe.

Welder Dave

Post some pics. of the complete machine. The hoe is probably similar to a 580 or other common machine backhoe.

Welder Dave

It does look to be a standard 580 type hoe. The biggest thing I would caution about is never have the hoses disconnected that supply oil to the hoe. When ever the engine is running the hoses have to be connected either with the hoe attached or if you remove the hoe. If not connected will dead head the hyd. pump. You can't run the machine for even 30 seconds with the hoses not connected. The other thing is to make sure the machine is firmly parked so it can't move when you're switching between running the loader and running the hoe and vice versa. You don't want to get run over or have the machine run away. Interesting having a hoe on a wheel loader but don't know how efficient it would be repositioning. I don't think you need a specific military manual. I'd see if a Case dealer could get a manual for the backhoe attachment and the loader.

Matt T Maine

Thanks. I purchased an operator’s manual and service manual. Really interested in the remote throttle, recommended operating rpm…. Thing’s specific to this unit.

56wrench

Where do you sit to run the hoe? Wrap your sack around the rad cap? That thing looks about as handy a a pocket in your underwear. I would rip the hoe off and mount it on a tractor

Tags

Long walk around to reposition, that’s for sure. Need a dedicated driver when using the hoe. If it does what you need it to do that’s all that matters.

Matt T Maine

Very good point on the hydraulic hose.

Thanks again.
It does look to be a standard 580 type hoe. The biggest thing I would caution about is never have the hoses disconnected that supply oil to the hoe. When ever the engine is running the hoses have to be connected either with the hoe attached or if you remove the hoe. If not connected will dead head the hyd. pump. You can't run the machine for even 30 seconds with the hoses not connected. The other thing is to make sure the machine is firmly parked so it can't move when you're switching between running the loader and running the hoe and vice versa. You don't want to get run over or have the machine run away. Interesting having a hoe on a wheel loader but don't know how efficient it would be repositioning. I don't think you need a specific military manual. I'd see if a Case dealer could get a manual for the backhoe attachment and the loader.