• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Michigan 75iii GM Diesel

wentworth

Occupation
Farmer
Hello,

I've just purchased a Clark Michigan 75iii tractor shovel, with a General Motors Diesel 4-53 engine. I was told that it was manufactured in 1964.

Does anyone have an operator's manual available?

I'm trying to change all of the fluids and filters, but am not sure which fluids/filters to use, other than SAE30 or SAE40 in the engine. Transmission fluid type? Hydraulic fluid type? Any guidance/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Ryan151

Try Sycamore enterprises. They have all the manuals for Clarks I'm pretty sure.

As for transmission I run multi purpose atf in my Clarks. Obviously you need to see what's in yours but 30wt transmission fluid works good as well.

As for hydraulics I run aw46. Or you can run 10wt

Diffs and plantaries I run 85w140 but I'm sure 80w90 would be fine. If it gets super cold where you are I'd go with 80 90

wentworth

Occupation
Farmer
Thank you Ryan151 - I'll get in touch with Sycamore enterprises for an owner's/operator's manual. The large Volvo Construction Equipment dealer was unable to help with, even though they acquired Clark/Michigan when they formed the VME Group. I also paid a visit to Wajax Power Systems in Toronto, who were even less helpful - they seemingly didn't have any information on their computer system pertaining to Series 53 engines...and they're the major Detroit Diesel distributor in the region. ???

I was able to clean up the damaged information plates in the operator's cab, and found these details:

Michigan Clark
Model 75 GM III Tractor Shovel
Serial # C-7CG925

Clark Transmission Model 2420-17

General Motors Diesel Series 53 Engine
Inline 4-53
Engine Model: 5043-7101
Serial # 4D-27651
2 cycle diesel, 2 valves per cylinder
S45 injectors

The maintenance chart has been mostly worn off, but found some recommended fluids:
Front and Rear Differentials: SAE90 EPGL
Front and Rear Planetary Hubs: SAE90 EPGL
Torque Converter and Transmission: Type A Automatic Transmission Fluid
Brake Master Cylinder: SAE10 engine oil
Steering Gear: SAE90 GL
Hydraulic Reservoir: Hydraulic Oil
Engine Oil: SAE30 typical or SAE40 in hot ambient temps.
Engine, Fuel and Oil Filters and accessories - **see engine operator's manual.

Given the old age and obsolete nature of the Michigan loader, I accept that it'll be a challenge to restore and rebuild the machine. I'm just a little surprised that even finding the appropriate fluids and filters is proving to be difficult.

One step at a time! :)

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Find Delo 100 SAE 40 for your Detroit, no ifs ands or buts. Should not be hard to find.

I would be surprised if the filters for it were not commonly available at any heavy parts store. Just take them out and numbers should be on them if you can see them through the black oil ;)

SAE 90 EPGL is Extreme Pressure Gear Lube. Just regular old smelly gear oil, should be available anywhere.

In the absence of any more specific recommendation, I would say that regular modern ATF should be good enough for the transmission. Type A was not that different than what we use now.

wentworth

Occupation
Farmer
Also meant to ask:
Is a multi purpose ATF a Dexron-type or Allison-type fluid?

Do you find the AW46 works better in your Clarks than, say AW32?

wentworth

Occupation
Farmer
I'll search for the Delo 100 SAE40. Do you think it's a bit heavy for our cooler climate here, and switch to SAE30? Or stick to 40 wt as you suggested?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I'll search for the Delo 100 SAE40. Do you think it's a bit heavy for our cooler climate here, and switch to SAE30? Or stick to 40 wt as you suggested?

I use straight 30 in my two 4-53s year round here in Minnesota. I do preheat my engines when it gets down around zero Fahrenheit.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, in Canada I guess SAE 30 would be better. I would suspect harder to find though as even 40 is getting scarce now. But maybe 30 is more popular in your country.

Ryan151

Also meant to ask:
Is a multi purpose ATF a Dexron-type or Allison-type fluid?

Do you find the AW46 works better in your Clarks than, say AW32?
I've never ran the 32. Honestly just use 46 if you want a track tested oil as I've been running it for 2 years in my 55b and 275b. But temps may make 32 better for you. I think either will do fine. I've just always ran multipurpose atf.... Never an issue the transmissions are tough as nails on these Clarks I rebuilt my 275b trans and torque converter. As for the 453 engine there is wide spread parts availability and knowledge. If you need any parts I can help you with all of them. As for service info search 53 series service manual on eBay. There is also a page on fave book called detroit diesel enthusiasts who has a service manual in their pinned posts I'll take a picture of my recimended lubes ect for my Clarks. Should be the same for you

wentworth

Occupation
Farmer
Thanks again Ryan151 - the info is really helpful! And yeah, I agree about Volvo - pretty worthless. Same goes for Wajax in my experience...and they're the authorized Detroit Diesel "experts".

wentworth

Occupation
Farmer
I've managed to find a supplier of Chevron Delo 100 SAE40, and was able to locate some old documents/spec sheets regarding the hydraulic oil and torque converter/transmission oil:

Main Hydraulics: SAE 10W, API SD or SE engine oil
Torque Converter and Transmission: SAE 30, API CD/SF, or Grade 30 C-3 tranny fluid, or SAE 10W
Dexron II is not recommended