• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MF 50h transmission wont engage.

racecarrice

I just traded for a MF 50h backhoe and the transmission wont engage in forward or reverse. the man that had it said it would work sometimes but now i cant get it to work at all. Does anyone know where i could find out how or what to check? I am a mechanic but have never worked on a MF transmission before. It is supposed to be a 1987 model but im mot sure. It has the shifter on the steering column.

Jim Kennedy

Hi racecarrice. I recently bought a MF 50H Series S and I think 1987 model and have not had any problems with the transmission. I think you should start with the electrical system and it's components. Here is the curcuit drawing.I would be checking with a meter starting from No5 the Start Switch through to the directional solenoids and the two declutching switches and their appropriate relays and check fuse No6. Please note there is a PDF attachment which you will need to open, there are two pages in the PDF.

Jim

Attachments

• drawing numbers.jpg
    drawing numbers.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 263
  • MF 50H, MF 50HX, MF 60HX Turbo Wiring diamgram.pdf
    743.7 KB · Views: 171

racecarrice

Thanks Jim I do believe it is in a switch or something and not a mechanical problem. I did check on one of the solenoids and had power with a test light but never checked to make sure of the voltage. I dont have it home yet so its hard to check after i get off work.

d4c24a

On the side dash where the rev counter, key etc are , there is an override button ,try this and see what happens ,if it works it could be one of the declutch buttons

racecarrice

I didnt see any button there. the only thing i seen was a red button that i thought was emergency flashers.

d4c24a

if you look on jim's attachment 96 emergency drive , sure it's a black button on the side

racecarrice

It is still at the guy that I got it from house so i will look for the black button when I go back to work on it but I'm pretty sure there is no button there but I hope it will be that simple. thanks.

AussieChris

On my 50HX the override button is a RED one. It is on the back side of the side console. It is supposed to by-pass all the safeties. Also, check your fuses.

Chris.

racecarrice

Ok thanks guys I finally got it home. it was the steering cylinder leaking and lost all of the oil in the transmission. I had to drive it about three miles to get it home. It only made it about a half of a mile so i had to have the wife pull me the rest of the way with with our gmc envoy but at least its home now. I put oil back in and trans works fine. I plan a trip to the hydraulic shop this week to get the cylinder rebuilt.

racecarrice

Okay I thought that I had it figured out when I posted last update but that wasn't it. I think that I finally got it figured out. I replaced the declutch solenoid and it has worked fine ever since. Now I just have to rebuild the main boom cylinder and I will be ready to start digging ditches. I have used the front loader about four hours and so far so good.:)