• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop

The one area that is always-and I mean {always} overlooked------what happens when it breaks
down along side the interstate. The hot shot boys at the drafting table could just give a glorified
passing of gas about that.-----Tow truck pulls up and driver says--{Nope not today or tomorrow}.
So towing companies will have to come up with a super low profile ramp deck no taller than 12"
to stay under height constraints. And that means it will always have to be winched on trailer from
the back. Which causes all kinds of along side road traffic issues if they weren't bad al ready.
Cost to move one a short distance {Triple}.
1.5 years ago just before I left retired, the company bought two new 3 axle Cascadia's.
Came with just about the same low profile air dams as the KW above. With the added feature
of when the truck reached 45 plus mph it would automatically lower another 2". The front
valence was so low there was no place to push a oil drain cart under. But it was a extra addon
piece to the normal air dam. So on a Sunday afternoon I ran both in the shop-removed and
painted the bolts same color to refill the bolt holes. No one even noticed-I could now change
oil plus if {just a matter of when} one of the breaks down----it can be towed without too much
trouble from the front with a wheel lift. It might be me that has to deal with it.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Electrics are coming, that's a fact, but that doesn't necessarily mean that in 20 years the road is going to be full of Tesla looking things. If you look back over the last 75 years there have been lots of "futuristic" ideas that have fizzled, or lasted in some respect, but not in the form they were originally envisioned.
I doubt the Tesla semi will last, at least in it's current iteration. The drivetrain tech might, but the stupid center driving cab, flip out windows and other such nonsense won't. They could have built trucks with a seat smack in the middle 30 years ago, if it weren't such a stupid idea.

That Tesla semi makes me think of the Ford "Big Red" turbine powered idea . . .

Truck Shop

That Tesla semi makes me think of the Ford "Big Red" turbine pow
There are too many in the game--the same was said about the PC & cell phone, & look what happened.
To add--I remember when it was said the president had a phone in his Lincoln-the 60's. The late 80's
rolled around and now a Smart phone is the common, I remember when the brick phone arrived,
{ People don't need that or want it--was said}. Here's the thing----That KW above is also offered with
Diesel power.
The sign of the times---it's always caused folks to grumble.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

Diesel over electric will be here to stay for 59 years+
Just who's crystal ball are you looking in? I for one certainly hope not, it's just people refusing
to let go of ICE's. There will be alternate power just what, remains to be seen. There is a certain
gratification watching the masses of young males argue it's existence & the reason's it should
remain.
It would be nice to see a harley coming down the road that made no noise.

cfherrman

It's not refusing to let go of ice, it's the power of electric with the range of diesel, best of both worlds.

I don't think there will be a true electric truck for quite awhile, well one you can at least make money with

Truck Shop

I don't think there will be a true electric truck for quite awhile, well one you can at least make money with
I don't think so either, but at the rate the world is evolving---it will be something we miniscule
minded will be confounded by---because it will be simple and right under our nose the whole
time.

cfherrman

There needs to be a fundamental change in battery tech similar to when ni nmh to li ion for them to be viable, right now too many problems with heat, cold, and battery life from over dischargeing. It just happens that diesel over electric solves all of those problems.

The government fooling with emissions (and lessing weight restrictions) like they been might make it more profitable.

I still want to see a manufacturer come out with a 20L gas engine because it will be cheaper to own than the emissions diesel or the full battery truck.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
There is not enough electricity in the grid to go to fully electric trucks. Until we solve the generation issue, we are not moving along way forward. Once we increase the supply, we will need to improve the transmission and distribution. All electric trucks are a long way away in the future. Hybrid I believe will fill the gap. The advances in drives, electric motors, and batteries (look at battery tools) are happening every day. The grid is way behind.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I still want to see a manufacturer come out with a 20L gas engine because it will be cheaper to own than the emissions diesel or the full battery truck.

No, it won't be, which is why nobody has made one. It doesn't work at the 6-7 liter level in pickup trucks, it would only get worse as they got bigger.

I have a friend who is in the grocery business, and owns and operates several single axle box trucks. He had a Freightliner with a Cummins and 26' box that he ran for about 8 or 9 years and put a bit over 300,000 miles on. He had a lot of trouble with the engine, especially in cold weather, so when he went to get a new truck, he took the advice that he ought to get a gas job instead; cheaper to own. He bought a Ford F600 or something to that effect, with the 7.3L gas and 10 speed automatic.
The Freightliner got about 10 MPG, the new Ford gets 5. Now, the Ford has plenty of power, and pulls just as well as the older truck, but half the fuel mileage.
If he runs that truck to 300,000 miles that is about 60,000 gallons of gas, vs about 30,000 gallons of diesel.
At current fuel prices that new gas job is going to cost him $120,000 more in fuel than an equivalent diesel powered truck.

I am no fan of emissions equipment, but that math just doesn't add up.

cfherrman

Emissions equipment of heavy duty diesels do or will cost more than the engine and are wear items that have to be replaced. Currently new diesels engines are around $50k+ plus when they break down your out a few days to weeks.

In 2027 truck prices will double due to emissions rules, and emission equipment reliability will probably half again

colson04

He had a lot of trouble with the engine, especially in cold weather,
This is where the gas engine competes against the diesel engine. Maintenence & Repairs, and quality of use. Turn the key, it starts.

My father in law runs a used car dealership with service center. In our area, 4wd trucks are king and he sells a lot of them annually. He started steering most customers away from diesels when the repair bills started destroying the savings they got from the better fuel efficiency. Looking over his customers service records, he has a lot of gas engine trucks that made it to 200,000+ miles with nothing more than oil changes. Does this apply to Class 8 trucks? No. In the 6-7 litre engine class though, I think gas engines can be competitive over the entire life cycle of the vehicle.

I would like to see someone try it in the class 8 world using modern tech to see if they can be competitive though. I doubt anyone will try it. Everyone seems gun ho on diesel-electric hybrid or all electric.

Last edited:

cfherrman

I see it as a meme, I think ts guessed 4-6 for otr

I do want to take a gas flathead 6 pushing 140 hp and gas over electric it for a pickup. There's literally nothing that will break on that sob

Truck Shop

I knew when I posted that KW cheese slicer--the ideas & opinions would fly. Somewhere there
is a troll in a deep dark basement--with something on the drawing board.
Back to old trucks.

Truck Shop

1928 FWD hill climb test.
436944707_10168894487695048_5369882003771944605_n.jpg