• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Very big Allison trans, the 5680 I imagine is similar and it's huge, like 2' tall
I believe the CLBT6061-6 is physically the size as a 5680 , then it's been many moons since I worked on either one! Then there is the bog brother DP8000have a few of those in Off-Highway M-65 Macks. Some of the CLBT's were four speeds but all the ones I worked on were six speed. Trying to remember what the letters CLBT stood for...Something like C-converter, L-lockup clutch, drawing a blank on the B and T. One of the two might have referred to the hydraulic retarder (B for brake?). Been around 20 years since I worked in depth on one.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I learn a new thing everyday I have zero Allison knowledge.
I'll tell you one of the worse things about those Allison's for working on them was the pins in the planetaries were pressed in pins most with loose needles for bearings and they were locked in place with little ball bearings to keep the pins from turning.

Basically two options to assemble them. One heat housing to around 350º and get the pins in before they cooled with out burning your fingers. The other was to get some dry ice and freeze the pins for a couple hours then assemble with gloves so as not to get frostbite. Which ever method used you did not want to get interrupted halfway through!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Converter
Lockup
Brake (oil retarder)
T = transmission I think?

The numbers I never had figured out. Some of them seemed to share most parts with on highway versions which had the more familiar HT750 type nomenclature. One fire old truck I worked on once was ex San Francisco and had a CLBT something or other, the real old 6 speed it was based off but I believe it was a CLBT instead because it had a full manual valve body for some reason.

SF FD does things different, they also still use wooden ladders I think.

cfherrman

I can look in my clbt 4460 book later. The 4460 is a manual valve body 6 speed off road trans. I e heard the ht 70 is the same but automatic valve body.

In the ht 750's there is tons of letters on there including clbt, clt, drd.

I think the 5680 is a 6 speed as well.

Truck Shop

All our local dump truck drivers won't turn the key on 50,000lbs gross, unless they've got 1800-2000 ft.lbs of torque and minimum 550 hp.
At the time in early 70's the engine was 1693TA with the rack screw pulled, if a engine back then
produced 13 to 1450 it was a big deal. But it's what happens when society gets a little spoiled with
todays power. Most trucks needed a main and auxiliary gear box with 7.50 ratio drives and lower.
If all the electronic crap died today and all there was to drive was yesteryear equipment I guess
many would either learn how or starve.
This moved a 14A D8 used for cutting logging roads-1956 B71 with a NH220, three stick------------
high/low range with a 5 speed main and 3 speed Auxiliary and some real low ass gears 9. IIRC.
No P/S, No A/C, and not much heat in winter with air wipers, and stationary drivers seat. Pulled
a Peerless fixed neck.
005.JPG007.JPG002.JPG001.JPG

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
moses-jpg.217983

Truck was a BC Hydro truck and was used to haul Transformers up to a dam site, and other heavy hauls. Truck and 300ton trailer has been sold and last heard it was in Wash state.
After 4 hrs of looking found pictures of the BC Hydro trailer when new. Schneider Logging Kelowna BC used their P 16 Pacific for a job 11.jpg