• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Memories for us old truckers

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Yeah well there fellers here in town at Walla Walla Community College one of the Einsteins that teach the diesel program was showing the class how to stop a runaway
with a clip board. They full throttled a B model and slammed the clip board over the turbo- That panther Cat sucked that clip board in and exploded the turbo to
everyone's amazement. Yes this is the proper way to stop a runaway class-Chester you have your hand up would you like to give it a try? :eek::p:oops::rolleyes:o_O:D:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Truck Shop
Heard of a guy trying to stop an 8V71 with a service manual... It sucked that in page by page and blew charred paper all over the shop. Dunno if it was true, but I can believe some of it.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I used to work with TS-24 Euclids with 6-71's in the rear, coming down off a steep stock pile you woud swear those critters were hitting 4,000 plus rpm at times and they just kept humming. One outfit tried a 250 cummins in the rear of a 24... it lasted 3 loads before the rod escaped.

Reminds me a of a guy we raced with. Kept scattering motors. It's got a rev limiter in it he'd say, how can I be blowing them up. Well....here's how. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd while still running 6,500 rpm will tend to create a bit of an overrun issue....

Yes but it's got a rev limiter he said again. It took quite some time to finally get him to understand it couldn't function when downshifting like that. I didn't even try to explain why.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Reminds me a of a guy we raced with. Kept scattering motors. It's got a rev limiter in it he'd say, how can I be blowing them up. Well....here's how. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd while still running 6,500 rpm will tend to create a bit of an overrun issue....

Yes but it's got a rev limiter he said again. It took quite some time to finally get him to understand it couldn't function when downshifting like that. I didn't even try to explain why.
Yep, 3 years ago I had a guy turn a piston sideways in a 3176 Cat on a really steep down hill. He said the governor must be bad if the engine over revved. :rolleyes:

Truck Shop

A Cat dealer in Tukwila had just built a new shop only to rebuild it a year later IIRC.
On some Pete's built in the late 80's early 90's the air line to fuel shut off was plumbed into the wrong tank-no air no shut down. They had one in the shop they couldn't shut down
and panicked and started unscrewing the fuel lines. A truck had just come off the freeway after a test drive and had the hood up. Fuel sprayed onto the 500 plus degree turbo
igniting both trucks- burned the shop damn near to the ground.:oops:

Would anyone care to hear my rat story?:D

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
A Cat dealer in Tukwila had just built a new shop only to rebuild it a year later IIRC.
On some Pete's built in the late 80's early 90's the air line to fuel shut off was plumbed into the wrong tank-no air no shut down. They had one in the shop they couldn't shut down
and panicked and started unscrewing the fuel lines. A truck had just come off the freeway after a test drive and had the hood up. Fuel sprayed onto the 500 plus degree turbo
igniting both trucks- burned the shop damn near to the ground.:oops:

Would anyone care to hear my rat story?:D

Truck Shop

They didn't know how to use a small Vise grip pliers to kill a 3406?
So what's the Rat story?

Tenwheeler

Sure: The rat over sped the wheel and?
I had a 855 run away repeatedly. Truck A was towed in and truck B drove in. Installed engine from truck B into truck A. Started it up and there she went, impossible it's not a Detroit. Had a 1/4 x 10 x 4' plate, junk close by, and stuck it on the turbo. Sucked it right on there and kept on running. Must have been at least 3,000 RPM and it would hold the plate up there all by itself. Then keep on running for maybe two minutes. Swapped the pump and gone again. I do not recall what all was done but problem bee or wasp. A dirt or mud dobber stopped up the return line. After that I always found a 2x8x3' or so and had it handy on start up. The wood will seal on the turbo, will not suck stuff in the engine, fingers and toes are not cloose.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yes, I remember I heard of a guy, don't remember where, the spinning turbo ate a couple inches off a finger or fingers instantly.

I got my fingers sucked into an the tube of an air filter housing once, lucky it was just a filter in there and not moving parts. So I could see how it could happen.

sled dog

I used to work with TS-24 Euclids with 6-71's in the rear, coming down off a steep stock pile you woud swear those critters were hitting 4,000 plus rpm at times and they just kept humming. One outfit tried a 250 cummins in the rear of a 24... it lasted 3 loads before the rod escaped.
Way back in 76, was runnin a TS-24 on a road job. Came lunch time and several other 24s and a couple push cats just parked in the shade at a borrow pit. I rolled up coasting in 4th, stopped and went to neutral. Instantly the ass motor wound up and kept winding. Jumped down and ran to the rear and slammed the shutoff and tripped the emergency on that 6-71. I don't know how fast it was turnin, but don't ever want to hear that scream again. It very slowly wound down and chugged to a stop. 'bout 5 minutes later an old mechanic showed up. He had been at the yard 3 miles away and heard it and came. I have never had an ass chewing like that before or since. He yelled and yelled till he couldn't yell anymore then just stood there and shook. When he finally could speak, he told me if that ever happened again in my life to run, far away and fast. You see, his best friend had tried to do the exact same thing I had done, to a runaway 6-71 on the ass of a 24. The blower let go and took his head off at the shoulders...

crane operator

So how many paccar canada trucks make it to washington, Missouri? (DMiller has all the good stuff up by him)

Add says 1987 kenworth 510, and it looks like heavy front end and rears.

I think I've heard this called a canadian spread rear, but I've never heard the reasoning, I'm assuming its to meet a axle spread regulation?

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...MI-OLZz9qP2AIVg79kCh2IugjmEAEYASABEgKCCvD_BwE

DB6318.JPG

DB6318C.JPG

DB6318ZZZG.JPG

Last edited:

crane operator

It evidently has a little engine problem....

I would think that 1987 would have been special order for big cam III, I think most were big cam 4 with the low flow cooling by then.

DB6318ZU.JPG

DB6318ZV.JPG

DB6318ZZC.JPG

Truck Shop

Yes that's a BC IV probably CPL 676 which was a good engine except for the cooling system. I see a BC IV and BC III after cooler on that pallet. If a person has the BC III
after cooler, stat housing and tubes the IV is easy to change back to full flow cooling. CPL 676 had slightly higher compression and slightly more lift on the cam which
made it a desirable engine to make power with. Have the pump set up 15% with a HT3B turbo and it would move right along. What was a real problem with the low flow
cooling system was the stats and the baffle or divider in the bottom of radiator would start leaking causing the coolant to flow in one hose and straight out the other.
Coolant would not circulate through the core. Good looking C500 series though. And that's a 60" axle spread.

Truck Shop

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
That engine has some serious issues... number 3 and 4 pistons should be at the same height in their bores. Broken crank too?

Truck Shop

That engine has some serious issues... number 3 and 4 pistons should be at the same height in their bores. Broken crank too?
I thought the same when I first looked at that photo but it is the camera angle.

Truck Shop

crane operator

DB6318ZZZG.JPG

Door tag reads big cam III, you can read it blown up. I think they were still available as high flow in special order yet in '87, but standard was low flow.

I have no idea what's actually wrong with the engine, truck is up for auction near me at the end of the year, and I'm kind of always looking for a project.

Big old heavy trucks kind of always appeal to me. Double frame looks a little rust packed in the other pictures they have of it, hard to tell from the pictures what's just surface rust, and how bad it is.

I don't think the frame would flex quite like my Western star does with my lowboy and the crane on, but I'm sure it wouldn't ride as nice.

We don't see many of that series kenworth by me, they're probably more common out in logging country?

Truck Shop

Ended up with a cold water leak at the very right front of the block and head. Thinking it had the early version head gasket [known to rot at water ports} I pulled the
head and found it had the early style head gasket. So for $1,200 I will huck a new head gasket, head bolts, injector o-rings and injector harness in there. Started on it
yesterday at 10:00 am had head removed by 12:30. Cleaned the deck, tapped and cleaned the head bolt holes and checked liner protrusion-it's right on at + .002.
Will clean the head up tomorrow drop into place and torque. Waiting on cam bearings, the pistons and liners are in fine shape along with cam and rockers plus the
engine was pretty clean inside.

Best to repair it now I don't like putting things off.

Truck Shop

001 (3).JPG 002 (3).JPG

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Ended up with a cold water leak at the very right front of the block and head. Thinking it had the early version head gasket [known to rot at water ports} I pulled the
head and found it had the early style head gasket. So for $1,200 I will huck a new head gasket, head bolts, injector o-rings and injector harness in there. Started on it
yesterday at 10:00 am had head removed by 12:30. Cleaned the deck, tapped and cleaned the head bolt holes and checked liner protrusion-it's right on at + .002.
Will clean the head up tomorrow drop into place and torque. Waiting on cam bearings, the pistons and liners are in fine shape along with cam and rockers plus the
engine was pretty clean inside.

Best to repair it now I don't like putting things off.

Truck Shop

View attachment 176189 View attachment 176190

Is that on the Tow rig?

crane operator

Not the first time you've been into one of those, if you could go down to that in a few hours. It takes me forever to get anything tore apart, because I'm usually marking everything or I forget how it goes back together.