• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mclaren Maximizer rubber track poor quality

gcsupraman

I purchased a set of Mclaren Maximizer tracks at the end of 2022 for my Cat 305.5e. At the time there were major supply chain issues and Cat OEM tracks were a few weeks out.

Based on recommendations seen in this forum I ordered a set of Mclaren maximizer tracks for a total cost of around $4200.00 which was around the same price as the OEM Cat tracks.

Since my purchase the tracks have frequently “de-tracked” from the machine regardless of track tension. The problem is not limited to one side or the other. Last Friday the left side track came off while on a slight incline and Saturday morning the right side track came off on fairly flat ground while turning.

I have never had the luxury of owning a brand new mini excavator, so I assumed the tracks were stretching, however the problem seems to be that these tracks have a very soft rubber compound. Unlike the OEM tracks I can see them visibly flex under side load.

I have been in discussions with Mclaren and come to find out their maximizer line is considered a value line product that does not meet OEM specifications. It’s possible that the tracks would perform better on a lighter weight machine, but they certainly are not a good fit for mine

This forum has been extremely helpful to me so I thought I would share my experience as it’s not in line with the generally good experiences others have had.

Education costs money so this was a very expensive learning lesson for me

IMG_9147.jpegIMG_9148.jpeg

BC Placer gold

Thanks for posting this info. Our Deere 50d is way overdue for tracks, Will definitely avoid those McLaren’s. I also have generally heard good reviews…

In the second photo it clearly shows you were pretty much straight tracking and yet the right side track is severely deflected. I wonder also about the construction quality (or lack of…) the inner steel cords?

Those ground conditions are far from severe….

gcsupraman

Thanks for posting this info. Our Deere 50d is way overdue for tracks, Will definitely avoid those McLaren’s. I also have generally heard good reviews…

In the second photo it clearly shows you were pretty much straight tracking and yet the right side track is severely deflected. I wonder also about the construction quality (or lack of…) the inner steel cords?

Those ground conditions are far from severe….

In the picture the track actually came off the front idler wheel, but the tracks definitely distort much more than the OEM tracks did. I cannot track straight on any significant side slope without them coming off.

The "next generation" tracks are supposedly OEM equivalent and the "maximizer" line is their value line. You have two different options for your machine but they only list the maximizer line for my machine. Maybe you would have better luck with their OEM equivalent model.

I'm not sure if I just got a bad set or what happened but McLaren isn't standing behind them. Although I only have around 150 hours on the tracks I will be replacing them. They have come off far too many times on slopes and in certain situations it has been extremely difficult to re-install them by myself. I'm leaning towards steel tracks with rubber.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I don't want to bash the brand at all but there are better out there from what I've seen which is both replacement tracks, and brush cutters used on CTL's. This is on CNH equipment only. Two different owners and two very different operating styles but again, I've seen better built equipment directly.

If shopping solely from a price perspective, they are right up that alley.

BC Placer gold

In the picture the track actually came off the front idler wheel, but the tracks definitely distort much more than the OEM tracks did. I cannot track straight on any significant side slope without them coming off.

I am not sure if this is helpful but they make two different model tracks. The "next generation" tracks are supposedly OEM equivalent and the "maximizer" line is their value line. You have two different options for your machine but they only list the maximizer line for my machine. Maybe you would have better luck with their OEM equivalent model.

I'm not sure if I just got a bad set or what happened but McLaren isn't standing behind them. Although I only have around 150 hours on the tracks I will be replacing them. They have come off far too many times on slopes and in certain situations it has been extremely difficult to re-install them by myself. I'm leaning towards steel tracks with rubber.
Good info, thanks.

That must be really frustrating. Can be a pain getting them back on. I have owned/ran many different excavators over the years and only had trouble with de-tracking on one machine. This was a Cat 303.5, at the time I noticed the rubber seemed really soft, also really minimal overall thickness. I don’t remember the brand now, but they were almost brand new when I bought the machine. They “looked” really cheap and just like yours showed a lot of deflection/“snaking”

How many hours on your machine? Bottom rollers/idler in good condition? (Looks really new in your pictures)

BC Placer gold

I am thinking also of going with steel tracks/road liner pads on our Deere 50. I like the durability aspect, also a bit more weight down low.

One drawback I have seen is that traction can be reduced in ‘greasy’ conditions. Personally I would be okay with this….

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
To the OP, check the bolt going through the tensioner springs behind the idlers next time it pops a track off. With the track off the idlers should side out, sometimes they break and the tracks flop off real easy.

gcsupraman

To the OP, check the bolt going through the tensioner springs behind the idlers next time it pops a track off. With the track off the idlers should side out, sometimes they break and the tracks flop off real easy.
When they came off last week I checked the idler side to side and it was tight - but I didn't try pulling it out. I assume you are talking about the bolt in the picture below?

How many hours on your machine? Bottom rollers/idler in good condition? (Looks really new in your pictures)
1700 hours on it. Everything looks like it's in good condition. I will post some pictures

Attachments

• Idler.jpg
    Idler.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Yep that's the one. Had one break on a 320 Cat at 500 odd hours. When these break the track still looks tight but the spring without the bolt everything becomes spongey and the tracks flop off real easy

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That sucks OP.

The best service I have ever gotten out of rubber tracks have been OEM Cat tracks which I think are made by Bridgestone.

Got 2K hours out of the OEM set on one of our 279's and kicking over 2K hours on our 305E that came out of the rental fleet with around 1K hours on the clock. At the rate the 305 tracks are looking they could go another 750-1K hours.

We use our CTL's and mini in all sorts of conditions from rock, asphalt, concrete and demo jobs. I can buy cheaper tracks but in my experience all the way back to a brand new 2003 T190, Cat OEM tracks have held up better than the "off" brands we've purchased over the last 20 years. Somewhere in the archives I did a cost comparison of rubber vs steel UC in CTLs, dozers and track loaders.

2nd the thought on going back with steel UC with rubber pads. Probably spec our next 305 that way.

gcsupraman

2nd the thought on going back with steel UC with rubber pads. Probably spec our next 305 that way.

In hindsight the hybrid rubber/steel tracks were only $1000 more and have 3x the life expectancy

I have been in touch with Mclaren for the past few weeks about the track issues and they finally agreed to sell me a set of hybrid steel tracks at a substantial discount to rectify this issue. It was a fair compromise.

I’ve never run steel tracks on a mini before. Do I still run ~1” of clearance from the bottom roller, or are they typically run a little looser?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
In hindsight the hybrid rubber/steel tracks were only $1000 more and have 3x the life expectancy

I have been in touch with Mclaren for the past few weeks about the track issues and they finally agreed to sell me a set of hybrid steel tracks at a substantial discount to rectify this issue. It was a fair compromise.

I’ve never run steel tracks on a mini before. Do I still run ~1” of clearance from the bottom roller, or are they typically run a little looser?

Good deal they made it right. I don't know about the roller clearance as I've never ran a set of steel tracks on a mini, only rubber.

BC Placer gold

Sounds like a great resolution, should be a real upgrade!

gcsupraman

IMG_9261.jpegIMG_9259.jpegIMG_9267.jpegIMG_9266.jpeg

The new tracks are arriving tomorrow so I started washing the machine

I noticed the gap between the drive sprocket and the track seems excessive. The sprocket is 1-13/16" wide at it's widest point and the track width is 2-5/16" so there is about a 1/2" gap. There is a similar gap on the front idler wheel

The machine has 1700 hours.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

BC Placer gold

View attachment 306715View attachment 306716View attachment 306717View attachment 306718

The new tracks are arriving tomorrow so I started washing the machine

I noticed the gap between the drive sprocket and the track seems excessive. The sprocket is 1-13/16" wide at it's widest point and the track width is 2-5/16" so there is about a 1/2" gap. There is a similar gap on the front idler wheel

The machine has 1700 hours.

Any thoughts?
Not sure, don’t have the machines at home to look at….someone else may know. Does look like a lot of clearance.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Original sprocket segments?

gcsupraman

Original sprocket segments?
The sprockets are original.

I got the new tracks yesterday and installed them. Shipping weight was 1800lbs. My lord they are heavy. The width of the track where the sprocket rides measures 2" exactly and the sprocket fits nicely into the steel track with about 3/16" of play on both sides combined. That seems much more reasonable.

I was searching online to see if there was any information about track guide width and found this on the prowler tracks website:
"Another important identifying factor for steel core tracks is the inner and outer guide width, and guide height which has nomenclature generally specific to different manufacturers. This is often identified with an A, B, N, W, K, KW, or any other series of letters or numbers. (figure C) This is where you can run into problems when trying to interchange tracks. The inner and outer guide width and guide height should always be correct for your machine. This is so that the machine rides smoothly and does not “jump track” on uneven terrain or slopes, and so that your undercarriage does not fail prematurely. Inner and outer guide width measurements can be estimated from your old rubber track, but cannot be accurately ascertained because of wear unless they are obviously brand new.

Rubber Track Guide Width

The metal core rubber tracks that we stock at Prowler Tracks can have up 4 different guide styles. Keep in mind that it is to the advantage of a reseller to only stock certain sizes and guide widths, as they can be substituted for others, significantly cutting cost for that supplier. This is where you need to be careful. For example, at Prowler Tracks, we have three different 300×52.5×80 size rubber tracks because there are 3 different OEM designs for this particular size. A Kubota mini excavator model KX91, a Komatsu PC30, and an IHI 30J mini excavator all use a 300×52.5×80 track. Theoretically, one of these tracks could be stocked and used on all 3 models, which is what many suppliers may do. The above measurements, while correct, do not account for the differences in guide sizes, particularly guide height, including inner and outer guide widths. If you have ever had a new track that you knew was the right size, but just wouldn’t stay on, or was eating away at your sprockets or rollers, or rode so rough it rattled the windows out of your machine, this is the most likely reason.

In summary, it is a fairly simple operation to establish your track size. However, it is also important not to assume a used rubber track off your buddy’s machine, an odd rubber track you may see online for sale, or an interchangeable rubber track from a discounter will fit your machine. You need to work with a rubber track supplier that you can count on to give you proper information needed to accurately fit your machine with the right sized track. If you are wondering about your rubber track options, or even wondering if that spare rubber track off your buddy’s Cat 302.5 mini excavator will fit on your Bobcat 325, give us a call at Prowler Rubber Tracks at 877-477-6953 or check us out at our online store ProwlerMFG.com"

Ridinhigh1500

Occupation
Dealer Lead Tech
First off as someone mentioned already Bridgestone makes the OEM tracks for CAT, Kubota and Bobcat. Those guides on your old track look like trash. A good aftermarket brand is CAMSO it is also the recommended OEM alternative for Kubota, CNH and Bobcat. If you really don't have a lot of money check out a aftermarket supplier called Summit Supply.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The sprockets are original.

I would suggest changing the sprocket segments out when putting on a new set of tracks on a mini or CTL. New tracks need new segments since the segments have wear and the new tracks are well new.

We used to have premature track failure (less than 500 hrs) on CTL's until we started replacing sprocket segments every time we put new tracks on.

BC Placer gold

I would suggest changing the sprocket segments out when putting on a new set of tracks on a mini or CTL. New tracks need new segments since the segments have wear and the new tracks are well new.

We used to have premature track failure (less than 500 hrs) on CTL's until we started replacing sprocket segments every time we put new tracks on.
Good info, thanks…