• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

MB crusher bucket case drain question. Can't really decide if it id dumb or not.

Mobilewrench

Client of mine picked up a second crusher bucket to run on his Hitachi 200 and 225.

I plumbed the machines for his old MB 70.2 and that only required a #8 line for the case drain.
The new (second hand) unit is an MB 80.1 (I think). It comes with a #12 case drain line. I checked with MB, they seem pretty adamant that it has to be #12.

As far as I can see, all of the available ports on the tank are #8. I was thinking of creating a new port on the tank to accommodate #12. Most likely on the bottom of the tank.

My question is...if I just run 2 #8 lines to the tank....er... Shouldn't that give me ample flow?

MrElectric03

It would make sense but I assume you would be using a T to split a -12 into two -8s. If the inside of the T is not large enough diameter, it doesn't matter what comes after it. The manufacturer may provide a case drain flow and pressure spec and you could test it and see.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I don't know why people always wanna run case drain back to tank , UNFILTERED! I've seen guys drill and tap or torch and weld fittings onto bungs and covers. The same guy cries when that rotating assembly craps the bed and sends shrapnel downstream. Either filter it on its own, or find a way to introduce it back to the main filter. The challenge is maintaining the maximum back pressure to allow cooling and lubricating to actually take place. Good luck.

MrElectric03

I don't know why people always wanna run case drain back to tank , UNFILTERED! I've seen guys drill and tap or torch and weld fittings onto bungs and covers. The same guy cries when that rotating assembly craps the bed and sends shrapnel downstream. Either filter it on its own, or find a way to introduce it back to the main filter. The challenge is maintaining the maximum back pressure to allow cooling and lubricating to actually take place. Good luck.
Great point. I know if I were to setup my own machine, I would run an attachment case drain through a properly rated filter. The issue that I see these days is that guys don't know to look for them. I had a motor fail a couple times, customer couldn't figure it out so just kept throwing motors on it. Didn't realize that there was a case drain filter added in line by a PO which was now plugged solid. Kinda like replacing a failed turbo without cleaning out the coolers, then you fire it up and have a runaway. Gotta look at the whole picture.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Client of mine picked up a second crusher bucket to run on his Hitachi 200 and 225.

I plumbed the machines for his old MB 70.2 and that only required a #8 line for the case drain.
The new (second hand) unit is an MB 80.1 (I think). It comes with a #12 case drain line. I checked with MB, they seem pretty adamant that it has to be #12.

As far as I can see, all of the available ports on the tank are #8. I was thinking of creating a new port on the tank to accommodate #12. Most likely on the bottom of the tank.

My question is...if I just run 2 #8 lines to the tank....er... Shouldn't that give me ample flow?
Yes, 1" even split with 2 -8s far exceeds the ¾" of a -12 by itself as long as it's a fluid run without a bunch of 90°fittings hindering flow.