• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Massey Ferguson Industrial 304.

hanksvilleman

I have a 1966 Massey Ferguson Industrial 304 with the 220 backhoe attachment mounted to it.
I am looking at replacing the valve bank on the backhoe but not sure what the gallon per minute is for this older tractor.
Does anyone have a close guess as to what the GPM would be for this tractor?

hanksvilleman

Finally found it in my manual and it says 22 gpm with the backhoe and loader.
Problem is I haven't seen a 6 spool clave bank that is rated for that kind of volume.
Due to having both attachments, does the gpm get reduced for each?
Found a 16 gpm valve bank I like, but that doesn't come close to the 22 the pump puts out.
Will that one work? I never run the machine at full throttle.

Delmer

Yeah, that will work, maybe not the best and definitely more hydraulic drag, but if you were really demanding you wouldn't be using this antique to start with.

I'm 99% sure that both valve banks get the full flow of the pump.

hanksvilleman

I think they do also, so I kept looking for a replacement valve and found a 3 spool joystick bank that is made for 24 gpm. And buying 2 of them is $100+ cheaper than buying the single 6 spool at 16 gpm.
Think I found a winner! Just waiting for a response about other info before I order the 2 banks.

cc52

I have a 1963 302 with the 220 hoe. I took the 6 spool assembly to a repair shop thinking that it would be better to replace but the shop convinced me to repair and then gave me a bill for $1500. the machine is still original though.

hanksvilleman

The original bank on mine has a crack in the cast iron so of course it sprays everywhere and can't find just the replacement part.
The cost on the 2 joystick valves @ 24 gpm is under $400 with shipping.

Delmer

Do you mean that you ordered two valve banks with three control handles each? I'm trying to figure out how a three valve joystick would work? I think of two joysticks each controlling two valves each, with the stabilizers separate.

Another way to rig it is the four functions on one open center bank, and the stabilizers using a smaller closed center valve on a smaller line teed off the feed. Then you have to close the bucket to get the stabilizers to operate, fine redneck engineering.

mikebramel

hanksvilleman

Since they don't even have the handles, I doubt they have the power beyond sleeve.
I was thinking hydraulic fittings between the 2 and that would determine mounting spacing. Also less chance of failing if all metal fittings over a sleeve.

hanksvilleman

I would be worried about the 4600 psi if the tractor could produce that much.
This 1966 tractor lugs down when the 1500 psi or less is fully applied toward a dead stop.
Besides, the relief valve is set at 1885 psi which is a far cry from the 4600 max psi.
I don't think a separate relief would be needed.