• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Massey Ferguson 50ex skip loader

Occupation
I operate our pit, as well as deliver materials, a
I am looking for someone with experience operating, and maintaining a Massey Ferguson 50ex skip loader. I found a deal on one and have some questions, as I am unfamiliar. How durable overall are they? How does the unique forward and reverse pedals (shifter and throttle) compare to a plain old torque converter machine(dash reverser) and how does it work? Is there a way to get down pressure from the three point? Any advice at all good or bad would really help me, as this model isn't very common, and there is not much information available about it. The particular one I am looking at has 2000 hours on it which seems low-ish to me. Please help!

Delmer

I've operated a couple of older MF models so all this might be too old for an EX. They haven't given me any problems aside from a broken flex plate caused by loose bolts caused by overloading the stressed engine (weight carried on the engine, no frame) yours has the reinforcement under the oil pan to help carry the load, so you won't have that issue. Also, the hydraulic pump drive can be considered a wear item. It might be worth it to take the hydraulic pump loose and grease the splines on the pump, replace the rubber grommets on the crankshaft pulley too if they need it.

The separate pedals work fine. I guess they tend to rust stiff and not operate if you leave them sit without oil in the crosswise throttle shaft. It works great for loading, you step on the pedal slowly until you feel the shift, then step on it to load, let off the pedal the engine goes to idle and you're ready to step on the pedal for the other direction as soon as you stop, or start rolling in the direction you want to go if you use the bumpy ground to your advantage.

Another danger is if you typically drive a stick shift vehicle, then use this loader for a while, then get into an automatic, you'll back up with your right pedal, use the left pedal to stop, then instinctively step on the right pedal to go forward. At least that's what I've done.

Welder Dave

MF had very good loaders and the instant reverse transmission was one of the first torque converters used in a loader. They used it for years in tractors, loaders and forklifts. Nothing wrong with the Perkins engines either. 2000 hours, if it's accurate, should be just broken in but hard to trust an hour meter. Can you post some pics?

Occupation
So good to hear from experienced MF guys!

Is good to hear good news about the Massey Ferguson 50 Ex. I have never seen a loader like this that had two peddles to operate a torque converter transmission forward and reverse. So you guys definitely say that the transmission is a long lasting item? I hope so. I'm pretty well sure that 2,000 hrs is original. It seems in my area the availability of industrial landscape loaders with 3-point hitches and PTO are scarce. I think this is a neat machine because it has a heated cab 4*4 and you could plow snow in the winter and use it in the summer for loader work and brush hogging. I also think a PTO generator would be ideal behind this machine as well. A winch mounted on the 3 point would be handy also. I am somewhat new to heavyequipmentforums I will see if I can find a way to post pictures of the Massey Ferguson, not sure how to.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

BIG caution here! Does it even have a PTO? I'm not positive on a 50EX but the older tractors with instant reverse usually didn't have a PTO for several reasons. 1. instant reverse operates forward speed and throttle together 2. in reverse the PTO changes direction which could cause serious damage to an implement or the tractor 3. not sure if tractor would have a hand throttle for stationary PTO work, may need to have an instant reverse pedal engaged to activate PTO. In my opinion an instant reverse is not the tractor for PTO work. Box blade, rear blade or other non PTO implements are no problem. For a landscape tractor loader with a box blade, they are a great combination. Would be well worth looking into the PTO or lack of PTO and reading a manual on it.

Delmer

I agree. I was commenting on the two pedal reverser and torque converter setup. I have no experience with PTO on one, or 4wd either.

Occupation
The 50ex Does have a PTO. Owner runs a rotary cutter with it. He did not indicate if there was any faults. Aren't most newer machines 1960 and newer equipped with a live PTO anyway? I would use it for back blade, box blade, raking, and a little brush hogging. Was really hoping a PTO generator set would work with the tractor unattended.

Delmer

No, a PTO is unusual on a torque converter and reverser equipped machine. The farm tractors that this was based on had a live PTO with a gear transmission and a dual clutch. There's no room for the PTO shaft inside the housing with the planetaries instead of gear shafts. We just don't know how they did it. If it has a live PTO that doesn't slow down at idle, then it should be fine for running a generator. Read the owners manual to see which gear it should be in if it's stationary.