• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

marker lights some times go out?? on dump truck

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
Have a ford f900 dump truck.
over the years some times the marker lights on the dump box go out, not the cab only the box.
I have changed out the light switch in the cab, no difference in results.
Today I finished painting the dump box and put the marker lights back in the box with the lights on during this time.
When all lights were installed and they all worked, I turned off the light switch.
The I turned it on to see if they would light up, NO LIGHTS.
Just like that lights on moment and the next no lights.
What in the world could be wrong.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Shimmy1

Have you checked to see if you have voltage at any of the lights?? Make sure you have a good ground on your meter or light, then check all light plugs. If no power at any of them, you're going to have to trace the wiring back to the source. If you have power at the lights, you need to investigate the ground.

lantraxco

Since it's only on the box, I would think the problem is lack of ground. Run a ground strap from the box to the frame somewhere, to metal sanded clean and shiny, bolted solid. Then make sure the marker light ground wired or the harness wire is grounded to the box properly as well. We used to have dump boxes the marker lights would only work when loaded, had enough weight to make the connection at the pivot pins.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
Have you seen some of the cobbled rear light wiring on dump trucks? I can't believe it sometimes. A trailer box that's sealed with new light cord would be a start. Glue it on the frame with silicone caulk. Now you can test your wiring easily. Since I have been doing this light problems are a thing of the past.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Might be worth a look in the junction box.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Since it's only on the box, I would think the problem is lack of ground. Run a ground strap from the box to the frame somewhere, to metal sanded clean and shiny, bolted solid. Then make sure the marker light ground wired or the harness wire is grounded to the box properly as well. We used to have dump boxes the marker lights would only work when loaded, had enough weight to make the connection at the pivot pins.

Agree, some people get lazy about running a jumper from dump body to the main frame of truck or trailer. If one light goes out check that one, but if all go out it is most definitely a ground problem. As a quick test when lights are not working try hooking a set of jumper cables from box to truck frame.