• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Marion 7400

Miningpower

Occupation
Equipment operator
Here's a video of mine showing a Marion 7400 digging overburden. This 7400 was first assembled in 1958 nearly 40 miles away from where it's currently working. The first attached picture shows the dragline when it was brand new in 58'. This dragline has been digging non stop for 52 years at three different locations across the anthracite field of PA. At one time this 7400 worked alongside the massive Marion 8700, which is also still working today pulling coal. Today it swings its boom down in a narrow 200ft+ deep pit, fishing for black diamonds.

YouTube - Marion 7400 Stripping Overburden

Attachments

• dragline marion 7400 wilkes barre.jpg
    dragline marion 7400 wilkes barre.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2,195
  • IMG_9470.JPG
    IMG_9470.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,726
  • IMG_9495.JPG
    IMG_9495.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 2,605

KW318

I have learned a lot from your posts, great camera work, and the narrative is very informative. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy for the average equipment fan to get so close up.

Keep em coming!

Thanks

Lexy

Occupation
Freelance Photographer (For Hire!)
The 7400 was a workhorse! It worked along side a Marion 5761-M Power Shovel behind my house for the old Ayrshire Collieries mine, Ayrgem Mine. The 5761 and 7400 both became part of AMAX Coal when they bought out the Ayrshire Collieries Coal Company. Then Arch Minerals bought the mine and I don't know what happened after that. LOL!! Great video and I love the pics!!!! Well done again!

I have a picture of the shovel at that mine posted on my Flickr page. It's from the book by Keith Haddock, "Extreme Mining Machines".

Miningpower

Occupation
Equipment operator
Thanks! They are workhorses! That 5761 must have made the 7400 look like a toy.

Lexy

Occupation
Freelance Photographer (For Hire!)
Thanks! They are workhorses! That 5761 must have made the 7400 look like a toy.

Well, they were never close together so size wasn't much of an issue. See, typically in an open pit mine like those out here, the shovel dug the overburden with loader shovels digging out the coal. Then as they are all moving down the pit the dragline is pulling up the rear by backfilling the spoils into the pit. That's the older way of mining now although it has been modified a little since then.