• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

manager torched the locks off my toolbox

dwdude

would u guys care if your manager torched the locks off the tool boxes in your work van or truck, and allowed a apprentice to go on a service call using your tools, and all without even asking????

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I know you north o the border folks try to be very polite and understanding. As you can see, down here in the states, thats ass whoopin time. It would be one thing , if they called and cried the blues. That gives you the option, yea or nay. What they did was blatant disregard for your property and livelihood. Too many employers have this ,"my truck, i do what i want with it" mentality. What if the kid did a job near a crack den. You know how quick crackheads can pick a truck apart with no locks.
Yer employer is quite the piece of work

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Even working for a dealer and you got sent out in a truck with someone else's tools you just loaded yours in the back and left the locks alone. I've never heard of someone torching a lock on someone's assigned truck box. I'm with everyone here, I'd be gone if that happened to me.

dwdude

and i even left the keys at work hidden in a desk. If he would have asked.. i may have said yes, even tho I'm not a fan.. but he didnt even bother just told me after.. and i presume when i see my van tomorrow theres going to be a lot of evidence of him fucking running torches in there.. I still can't believe it.. Ya take the van. thats fine.. but dont break into the boxes to access my tools.. I've got over 30 g in tools in that van, and i take pride in my ****.. the kid he had using my tools has no sense of how valuable that **** is to me..

mitch504

Yep, I would just go take my tools out. I don't work for anybody else anymore, but when I did, if I stocked their truck, it went home with me. I worked a couple of places where everything on the truck belonged to them, they could do what they wanted.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
and i even left the keys at work hidden in a desk. If he would have asked.. i may have said yes, even tho I'm not a fan.. but he didnt even bother just told me after.. and i presume when i see my van tomorrow theres going to be a lot of evidence of him fucking running torches in there.. I still can't believe it.. Ya take the van. thats fine.. but dont break into the boxes to access my tools.. I've got over 30 g in tools in that van, and i take pride in my ****.. the kid he had using my tools has no sense of how valuable that **** is to me..

Just sayin, if the manager would compromise something like this then there is no bounds to his deviancy or dishonesty, my tools would be leaving with me tomorrow. Life is full of drama people, I choose to not participate.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That's what I was gonna say 92>> there are 2 guys at work that are "road" mechanics..
Mngment came up w/ a brilliant idea to leave the trucks AT WORK at nite.. Well, start to add 2-3-4 hrs to EVERY JOB to load & unload tools & you figure out real quick it isn't a BRILLIANT ides.. it took about aweek for things to go back to "normal".. & the customers that were denied service was staggering.. they would call late afternoon & need something QUICK.. Well it was gonna take 2hrs just to pack up the tools to do the job.. so the mechanic said, nope.. I aint goin,, I gotta be home at 5:30..

Now on the other hand>> I had to sign a "rental" agreement for my tools that were in the shop..
THAT WAY my tools were covered under the companies insurance policy if something were to happen while they were in their building..
SOOO.. if you had to sign something like that.. in actuality they were their tools & could do w/ them as they pleased..??
Its still a looser move tho..
I would take a few days off under the guise of looking for another job.. just to get the point across..

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I'd prolly take my tools, and find another job, on the way out, I'd find the mgr's car, and bust a toothpick in every door lock, and superglue a nickel over the keyholes, too, for good measure...
Thats some hardcore old school "get back," there , boy. Nobody uses keys anymore .:( Ice picks in the sidewalls, its timeless.:p:D

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Way back in the day.. I went on vacation & when I got back I put my key in the top box & the lid came FLYING OPEN.. my BOSS had drove the hinge pin out of the lid, put big springs in there & drove the pin back in.!!!! They had emptied out ALL MY TOOLS & the boxes were empty..
I walked in the office & said when every bit of my fckn tools are put back in my box, I'll be back to work.. & left.. the boxes were never the same.. SOME THINGS just aren't funny..

thepumpguysc

Occupation
I'm wondering WHY the lock was cut off?? did you have special company tools in there?? or were they just hand tools that the other guy SHOULD OF HAD?? IF they were just hand tools, somebodys azz would be on the ground.. & the police would be called for robbery or breaking & entering..
AN example NEEDS TO BE MADE.. its NOT ok..

dwdude

I would unload anything that belonged to me and would have quit that very same day.
Where were you when that bulls##t happened ?
Besides it appears the apprentice is going to have your truck full time and soon.

I was in the emergency room bcuz I had rolled a truck on my way to work. My van was in the Mercedes dealer getting a turbo put on. They went out of there way to pick the van up (without repair) and use my ****. N f**k no. This kid won’t be on the road for a very long time

dwdude

I'm wondering WHY the lock was cut off?? did you have special company tools in there?? or were they just hand tools that the other guy SHOULD OF HAD?? IF they were just hand tools, somebodys azz would be on the ground.. & the police would be called for robbery or breaking & entering..
AN example NEEDS TO BE MADE.. its NOT ok..

No special tools. Just my hand tools. Most of which are Mac or snap on (not that it really matters). My tools are my baby lol